Registered
14,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aviva Stadium: Capacity 50,000: Complete 14th May 2010

More info here.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=37648386#post37648386

and

http://www.lrsdc.ie/

I really like the curvature of this stadium all though I am disappointed with the low tier but still it is a unique design in it's own right. I hope the GAA keep Croke Park open to football and rugby at anytime though.

The opening Ireland soccer match will be v Argentina next year. The 2011 Europa Final will also be played at the venue.

Aviva aquired the naming rights to the new stadium at Lansdowne road

http://www.avivastadium.ie/

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I think to most people it will still be known as "Lansdowne Road". :lol:

(Out of interest, will the DART station still be called that? I presume so as it was named after the road, not the stadium.)

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
They'll probably keep the DART station called Lansdowne Road - but just tweak the signs for it to be 'Lansdowne Road for Aviva Stadium'.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
It'll never have anything on Croker that’s for sure.

I think the lack of a fourth grandstand kills it despite there being valid reasons for not having it. AND it looks like it would be a mammoth task to add a fourth stand 10/15 years down the line when demand may require it.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From an architecture view point it should be far superior to Croke Park and look really good. From a capacity point of view 50,000 is not enough for either soccer or rugby IMO. Croke Park is nearly always sold out for both. Still im more interested in it's architecture merit for the moment. The 1 tier side will not be as obvious as Hill 16 with the facade.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
From an architecture view point it should be far superior to Croke Park and look really good. From a capacity point of view 50,000 is not enough for either soccer or rugby IMO. Croke Park is nearly always sold out for both. Still im more interested in it's architecture merit for the moment. The 1 tier side will not be as obvious as Hill 16 with the facade.
The exterior of Croke Park is brutal but no doubt it could be improved, ie the Nou Camp …

·
Banned
793 Posts
It'll never have anything on Croker that’s for sure.

I think the lack of a fourth grandstand kills it despite there being valid reasons for not having it. AND it looks like it would be a mammoth task to add a fourth stand 10/15 years down the line when demand may require it.
demand has SFA to do with it.

PP not possible because of houses.

·
Banned
793 Posts
with hindsight the big pity is that the IRFU failed to sell the site when prices were high and they could have built a much bigger stadium cheaper on a greenfield site.
(I believe they actually have the land somewhere in Sth Dublin)
what is the 'Aviva' stadium costing? in the region of 300 million I think. that's more or less the cost of the main stadium that was planned for Abbotstown............and that stadium would have included an athletics track.
Now we have a 53,000 seater stadium which is too small as the main soccer and rugby internationals (not to mention Heineken cup semis/finals) will attract crowds of 80,000.
So a lot of income is being lost as well as fans losing out on tickets.

Probably the better solution would be the GAA agreeing to Croker being used for those big games....after the 'Aviva' contract expires.
I think anybody who is a sports fan in Ireland and who knows the GAA mindset knew that it wasn't real world thinking that Abbotstown was a luxury when we already have Croker.
Abbotstown was used as a political football by Labour and Fine Gael to attack FF. Very dishonest.
Now we are getting a very pretty stadium, that costs as much as the Abbotstown stadium but with 30,000 less capacity.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The first match, ROI v Argentina, is going to be on the 11th of August 2010. Not sure if the IRFU will get to use it before that.
There is no question that the IRFU will have a match before that. No way willl they let the FAI host the first match in their stadium.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts