1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bandar Abbas:

·
Persian King of Kings
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great photos

the universities are okay but the issue is that their buildings and facilities are more suitable for highschools and elementary schools rather than daneshgah
Which one do you mean? For example what do you think about the Azad University of Najafabad? As you know Najafabad is a small city with the population of approximately 200,000, it is enough to know that the library of Azad university of this city has more than 7 million books in an area of 35,000 square meters in 8 floor.

Najafabad:

·
Registered
602 Posts
I think the buildings look great and adequate in size. Studying in the US and Germany, I never anything with 8-9 stories like these buildings shown. I also didn't study in small universities. My school in the US was for 45,000 students yet still did not have anything this big. Also, I think their idea to build universities all around the country to not have to make students come into large cities as very good.

I think they are already very big and chic enough :)

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
some are good but some are not, 50/50

my hisghchool looks better and more proper than some of them

and germany and us?? haha my dad taught at the university of siegen and ive lived in germany and canada, the buildings here are massive complexes with parts that have purely classical and some parts are ultra modern, in general they are huge and very chic

not saying iran is bad, but again for eg university of tehran (which is very nice) should be a role model for smaller universities

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
again im not saying just size, well, some of the single buildings are small, but not bad. for example sari university has perfect size az u have shown

the issue is that universities should be of the most architecturaly beautiful places and environments in the country, look the athens academy, or oxford or .... they might not be bigger but are surely more classic and more architecturaly appropriate for a university, let aside that the interiors are probably as good as the outside. its just nit quantity, but quality as well.

·
Registered
602 Posts
again im not saying just size, well, some of the single buildings are small, but not bad. for example sari university has perfect size az u have shown

the issue is that universities should be of the most architecturaly beautiful places and environments in the country, look the athens academy, or oxford or .... they might not be bigger but are surely more classic and more architecturaly appropriate for a university, let aside that the interiors are probably as good as the outside. its just nit quantity, but quality as well.
One has to consider reality and what was on the ground when these buildings were built. Iran needed millions of new seats created for its population to support the greater numbers needing to go to University. While these buildings are not ugly (some I really like, like Qazvin) they served the purpose for modern facilities.

Faced with millions not being able to attend university and having the most attractive buildings in the world, I think Iran chose the right decision for the time. After our now highly educated population has gotten their degrees and has a place to study we can focus on renovating them and making them like Oxford.

What would you have said if Iran had taken it slow and was STILL working on building attractive schools while hundreds of thousands were wondering where to study.

·
Persian King of Kings
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Beauty is relative, I wonder why Iranians never see the beauty of their own buildings, for example look at that building in the Azad university of Bandar Abbas, a beautiful mixture of Iranian styles of architecture, you can see columns of Persepolis, arches of Isfahan, badgirs of Yazd, ...

Ancient Temple of Musasir with six columns, one of the oldest known buildings in Iran.

You can even see our Garduneh Mehr (Swastika) but in Google Map:

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Great thread Cyrus, thanks. Brilliant architecture which is not over-designed.

As with the size of the facilities, a campus based university will have a large number of facilities in varying sizes. From what I've seen of universities in England, usually the larger buildings on a campus have corporate sponsorship behind their construction.

·
Persian King of Kings
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I remember that I had posted some pics of buildings in the northern Iran in a Persian forum and said those are from an European country, several members came and said those are so beautiful and wonderful buildings but when I said that all of them are from our own country, no one replied! Unfortunately Iranians usually prefer to despise and belittle themselves!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts