SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
check the following report, it consists of more than 60 buildings.

and the following is when it was still under constructions:

currently 'Gas we Swelem 2' project is under construction in another location in Babylon.

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
ok. so that's 550 units. And babil province needs about 50k housing units? So this is about 1% (lets say 2%) of what Babil needs.

nice.

it took them 7 years to add this many units. At this rate... they will fill 2010 housing needs by 50x7 years = 2360 AD!

congratulations.

lets say I'm a complete pessimist, and they can build one of these projects every 2 years!

so then they will meet babil's 2010 housing needs by about 50x2 years = 2110AD.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Easy Mr. Shaytan ... while I agree they are slow, there are more projects being built and lets only wish for more and faster development during the coming 4 years since the situation is getting better.

Based on
http://www.almadapaper.net/news.php?action=view&id=30790
this is the second project of this size and the third one will also be opened very soon in Babil.
so there are 3 of this so far!

Cheers,

·
Registered
969 Posts
It took them 7 years to start projects all around babil(or all of iraq) but the rate of housing projects will multiply year by year.give it 10 years and it could be solved..ull see all of india's population in Iraq in the constructions sector..

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
well I must say at least this is low cost housing. That is good.

Of course there are similar 3-storey blocks being built in all the provinces in Iraq. But I believe they are not completing more than 5k in the ENTIRE republic of Iraq every year! (of course this is just the wizaret al iskan, excluding the privately built housing units which outnumber it by x 20).

then again the problem with all these units is that no lessons have been learnt or new techniques incorporated including:
-cavity wall insulation
-aluminium reflectors
-solar hot water
-double glazed windows and doors (air tight / insulating)

you know just the "basics" I'm not even asking for solar heat exchangers with automatic ducted air conditioning! or glass cladded hydraulic lifts! just some BASICS.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I agree sheytan but things will pick up when foreign firms enter, and they can build 5k -25k in one prject, the plan is to build 5m in the next 5 years, lets say they build that in 10 yrs , it will be good eventually inshalla

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
I agree sheytan but things will pick up when foreign firms enter, and they can build 5k -25k in one prject, the plan is to build 5m in the next 5 years, lets say they build that in 10 yrs , it will be good eventually inshalla
how do you go from building 5k a year (currently) to 500k a year? When wizaret il iskan considered it a "great achievement" when they increased their construction rate from 3.6k to 5k over a period of 4-5 years???

Hope is all well and good. but we must face the music.

The contracts given to the "private investment" builders are not creating the kind of high-density low-cost apartments that Iraq lacks... but the expensive condos and villas which have a high margin for the builder (obviously). The wizaret il iskan doesn't have the budget OR the competence to use its internal resources to fill the gap in low cost housing, and it has failed even its most basic duty of updating the Building Standards of Iraq to a modern level and incorporating energy saving measures that are in DIRE NEED. And that's just paperwork!

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
some more details. although i am not 100% sure these are the same... i.e. they could be 2 separate estates.

Client : Ministry of Construction & Housing
Cost : 42,000,000,000 ID
Starting date: 30/6/2007
Duration : 30 Months

Babil Residential Complex with 61 three-story apartment buildings, Service buildings the total Project area is ( 67,890 m2) the complex also contains (Primary school - high school - mosque - health centre - markets - nursery and kindergarten - the Resident Engineer - the administration building – Guard room) as well as car parks and street

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
very good pictures, congratulations

1 - 10 of 10 Posts