SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took my first trip to Vancouver and just got back. All I can say is WOW!!!! What an unbelievable trip. I am an agent with AIG American/General in financial services and our convention was held at the Farimount Hotel in Downtown Vancouver. I have never been to Canada before and I cannot wait to go back. First of all, Vancouver has to be one of the prettiest cities I have and probably will ever visit. The water, the mountains, the parks, the city, etc. etc. etc. Our hotel was right in the heart of downtown and we were right nearby Robson street in which my wife and I strolled quite a bit. Also went to Granville Island, Granville Street, just such urbanity and more of a European feeling. If you like Coffee and Suishi, you will love Vancouver!!! They are literally everywhere!!! How many people can say they visisted a phenomal city, was on top of a mountain, walked along the water, walked in a rainforest on a bridge more than 200 feet high, ate at wonderful resteraunts, met outstanding canadian people!!!

What a great time!!!!!

·
天豆
9,950 Posts
NapervilleTony said:
How many people can say they visisted a phenomal city, was on top of a mountain, walked along the water, walked in a rainforest on a bridge more than 200 feet high, ate at wonderful resteraunts, met outstanding canadian people!!!
I can.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip :)
Canada has alot to offer in terms of spectacular settings. Another nice place to visit is Banff in Alberta. Mountains, forests, glaciers, hotsprings all in one location.

·
I need coffee.
1,442 Posts
Glad you enjoyed your stay!

"European feeling" <<< I guess from your point of view - living in Naperville I'm guessing is very un-European. Whatever that means. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Vancouver really is a gorgeous city. :) One of my favourites in the whole wide world.. and my sister lives there, so I visit there quite often. And I have thought seriously that I might some day move there too.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Plumber73 said:
Glad you enjoyed your stay!

"European feeling" <<< I guess from your point of view - living in Naperville I'm guessing is very un-European. Whatever that means. :)
He's probably refering to its dense downtown development, which is in sharp contrast to many American cities of the same size.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I WANT VANCOUVER DAMMIT

·
I need coffee.
1,442 Posts
Nutterbug said:
He's probably refering to its dense downtown development, which is in sharp contrast to many American cities of the same size.
Yea "probably", but why not include Asia, South America... :) Also, it's a different kind of density with European cities. Europe doesn't have a lot of downtowns with crap loads of 12+ story, post 1950 residentials etc etc... which makes it a big stretch. You're way better off comparing Vancouver with Seattle or Portland. Even better, just call it more dense than Naperville.

·
Reason for Call Display
104 Posts
Vancouver is quite possibly the most gorgeous city I've ever been to. I've been there twice, and I plan on moving there in September 2008 to do a Masters degree in Urban Studies @ Simon Fraser. S'gonna rock :)

·
Unforgivable.
1,061 Posts
I lovin Vancouver, its a very nice city and the people is mostly friendly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's really more Asian than European

Well I took my first trip to Vancouver and just got back. All I can say is WOW!!!! What an unbelievable trip. I am an agent with AIG American/General in financial services and our convention was held at the Farimount Hotel in Downtown Vancouver. I have never been to Canada before and I cannot wait to go back. First of all, Vancouver has to be one of the prettiest cities I have and probably will ever visit. The water, the mountains, the parks, the city, etc. etc. etc. Our hotel was right in the heart of downtown and we were right nearby Robson street in which my wife and I strolled quite a bit. Also went to Granville Island, Granville Street, just such urbanity and more of a European feeling. If you like Coffee and Suishi, you will love Vancouver!!! They are literally everywhere!!! How many people can say they visisted a phenomal city, was on top of a mountain, walked along the water, walked in a rainforest on a bridge more than 200 feet high, ate at wonderful resteraunts, met outstanding canadian people!!!

What a great time!!!!!
I'm glad you had a good time! I've had the opportunity to visit London and Taipei, and live in Vancouver. I would say Vancouver feels more "Asian" than "European", at least to me. Even Seattle feels more European than Vancouver, considering how the hills and unique neighbourhoods resemble, say, Budapest. Now Quebec City feels European.

·
Eat your fudge!
1,918 Posts
I'm glad you had a good time! I've had the opportunity to visit London and Taipei, and live in Vancouver. I would say Vancouver feels more "Asian" than "European", at least to me. Even Seattle feels more European than Vancouver, considering how the hills and unique neighbourhoods resemble, say, Budapest. Now Quebec City feels European.
Agree completely, Vancouver to me has always felt more Asian than anything else. The stylish sushi bars and the general look of the city's shops etc is very japanese.

Like a glass-towered Tokyo.

·
Banned
183 Posts
i live in hamilton,on :eek:hno: i" ve. been visited vancuover several time and wow! i was impress with this beautiful city mounts, wheather skyline is realy nice i.m looking forward to move there.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
i.m looking forward to move there.[/B][/B]
Oh no. Nothing against you personally, but as a Vancouverite, if too many people have that sentiment and move this way, property will (as is already) get expensive and paradise will be lost. Too bad so many people are retiring now and can choose to live anywhere without work commitments. I think we on the west coast will be getting a flood of them in the years to come.

Be warned though that with the exception of the summer months, it does get dark and rainy here throughout most of the year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts