SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
School is over and I am moving back to brooklyn. I am looking at apartmetns and was wondering if any one knows about this area I am looking into. I would go check it out my self, but I am way in minn/ND. The addy is
115 ocean avenue and it is ocean ave/ Beekman PL look to be the cross streets. I was jsut wondering if this is an OK area as far as safety and decent housing.
Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
fargo2nyc said:
School is over and I am moving back to brooklyn. I am looking at apartmetns and was wondering if any one knows about this area I am looking into. I would go check it out my self, but I am way in minn/ND. The addy is
115 ocean avenue and it is ocean ave/ Beekman PL look to be the cross streets. I was jsut wondering if this is an OK area as far as safety and decent housing.
Thanks
I would live there, but if you're coming from Minnesota, the area might be intimidating. It is fairly safe and decent, but you have to be comfortable in immigrant communities. The surrounding blocks are very West Indian. Food and services cater to people from the West Indies, though gentrification is making inroads.

The neighborhood is hit or miss, with gorgeous landmarked blocks interspersed with noisy, dilapidated blocks. You would be right on Prospect Park, which means your block is more than likely nice. I know a bunch of hipster types who have moved to this general area in the last few months, so it appears to be an improving neighborhood.

If you feel intimidated by this neighborhood, look to Kensington, which is just to the southwest. Kensington is safer, more established and only slightly more expensive. It is a mix of hipsters, Russians, Pakistanis and old-school Brooklyn.

In this part of Brooklyn, areas to the west of Ocean Avenue (and especially west of Coney Island Avenue) are considerably better than areas to the east. In general, the neighborhood gets worse the further east you travel past Ocean Avenue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I am not from Minnesota just went to college here thats all. I was born on east coast but grew up in Southern California. Came to the midwest for school a few years ago before moving last year to NYC (Brighton Beach) I never had a chance to look at the area.
Thanks for the info, I will look into the other areas, my main concern after safety is price then access to a train

·
Registered
290 Posts
fargo2nyc said:
Oh I am not from Minnesota just went to college here thats all. I was born on east coast but grew up in Southern California. Came to the midwest for school a few years ago before moving last year to NYC (Brighton Beach) I never had a chance to look at the area.
Thanks for the info, I will look into the other areas, my main concern after safety is price then access to a train
Sorry, I misread your post. Maybe you should cast a wider net, but I wouldn't discount this neighborhood if it's a good deal. The area isn't unsafe, but there are safer neighborhoods with a similar rents if that makes sense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts