Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a collection of photographs I've taken over the past year of some of Sheffield's city backstreets, I wanted to try and show a different side of the city:cheers:

Hope the shots show what a diverse and intriguing place the Steel City is when you look below the surface.

·
18,096 Posts
we really do have some awesome backstreets. i remember the day i stumbled upon paradise square and laughed as i saw it was a complex of law firms :)

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
Excellent photos. I've actually been thinking about doing something like this myself as we have so many images of the 'Heart of the City' area, but not much else. Again, is it ok if I put them on the random images thread?

And we really do have some wonderful backstreets. Would be great if they got a bit of an injection of life, i.e. ground floor retail/cafes. (Might have to find that sandwich bar in the 7th pic).

·
Rotherowl
149 Posts
I love the photos of the area down the hill from the cathedral, they really show off what a beautiful part of the city centre that it is.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Rotherowl I completely agree.

These must be some of the few lanes that stick to the original medieval street pattern and it's a shame they are so underused. Still, with development at West Bar i think there should be a big upturn in use of the streets to access the city centre. Hopefully, this will provide some incentive for retailers to move in.

Honestly, in some of those shots, the Cathedral Quarter looks like a really quaint old town, Totnes comes to mind.

M

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I remember going on a bit of a walking tour of the city centre with Cubs sometime in the seventies. We stopped in Paradise Square and had a look round - then I forgot it existed and didn't see the place again for years. Eventually the memory of standing in this charming little square began to seep back and I almost thought I'd imagined it - I couldn't think where it could be. Once I rediscovered it I used to go out of my way just so I could walk up to town through those very back streets.

Thanks for the pics.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts