SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· ***Alexxx***
6,770 Posts
One of my gripes with modern town planning is that they seem to have forgotten how towns used to develop, and instead use newer designs. There is never a 'main road' or a natural centre with commercial space or any link/continuation from existing development.

Unless someone can show me an example of post 1950s development that has that.

Another thing that annoys me is also, what happened to the suburbs? I know space is a premium, and sustainability means things need to be denser, but rather then having apartments and terraces in the centre with spread out suburbs around the edge...its just a load of mini detached properties, all crammed in together, I'd rather they went the whole hog and built houses like late Victorian terrace houses!

And finally...the dark footpath between houses...why are these still being built!

· ***Alexxx***
6,770 Posts

· ***Alexxx***
6,770 Posts
If I was looking to buy a house, I would want a garden, and if I could afford it - it would be a detached house. The reason being, I like space, and so from what I can see so do most people. I work 6 - 7 days a week and normally when I'm off work its raining :(

But on the off chance I have time off work, and the sun is out I want a private space outside

· ***Alexxx***
6,770 Posts
This is not popular. Not popular at all. Not even vaguely close to being anywhere near popular. In fact its unpopular. Very very very unpopular. As unpopular as a bacon sandwich at a Bar Mitzvah.

Ask anybody who would rather live in a flat or a detached house with a nice bit of garden.

New detached houses are massively more energy efficient than the victorian and edwardian houses that still make a majority of the housing stock.

Detached house use up more space sure. We have built on 5% of the UK, another fraction of a percent so we can live in houses we want to live in seems reasonable.

Do not try to dictate to the majority of the population, people don't want what you are trying to force upon them.
Finally! Someone who I agree with! The problem with SCC (as much as I love it) its full of people who like 'experimental' urban planning, and see that has the future. Apartments were never built because people preferred them, but more for economical reasons. If land value was low, then I highly doubt they would get built, which is why countries like the US have suburbs, they can afford to do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.