SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· culled
☕ Ellie
26,749 Posts
Debates like this just end up full of "no one uses their gardens", "everyone wants a garden", with neither side willing to understand that everyone's different. No, I do use my garden regularly, but have lived on my own without one too. I couldn't do without one. That said I'd find a detached house odd and too isolated, semi is fine, terraced probably better. Properly proportioned terraces intertwined with bright, open, friendily lain out apartments should be the future, with country developments limited to clustered villages rather than sprawling detached houses.

Now garages are usually a poor use of space that'd be better made into a room for people who don't use it to store vehicles or as a toolshed. Ours is still lader for one half and bike/tool place for the other, but even then it's not used to its full potential.

· culled
☕ Ellie
26,749 Posts
I think the windy layouts are a biproduct of trying to look like naturally evolved villages rather than planned streets. My estate is windy because the existing roads were already windy country lanes, and many new estates try and recreate that, especially with the new (good) trend for village greens and parks. And while it takes up more room it can make places look nicer (subjectively). Not being able to see a hundred houses ahead of you makes a place feel cosy and friendly, and cul-de-sacs mean no unsolicited traffic. There are reasons people prefer them. Straight roads also mean faster speeds drivers are able to reach, a lot of curviness is to try and stop that. It's not the best use of land perhaps, and developers often go too far, but there are reasons people like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.