Skyscraper City Forum banner

?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
\m/(>.<)\m/
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The temple has the unique structure of a half-blown lotus. The petals consist of three folds of nine concrete portals, each covered outside with marble from Greece, finished in Europe. From the ground, the temple is 35 m high. It was constructed between 1980 and 1986 at a cost of Rs 10 crores on a 10 hectare plot. A well-kept lawn with neatly marked pathway leads to the temple, which is atop a flight of stairs. Round the base of the temple there is an artificial pool, and a counter where souvenirs and Baha'i literature are sold. There are chambers for meditation and documentary film shows on the Baha'I faith and the various Baha'i temples across the world. The actual temple contains no idols or carvings or paintings, but only seating arrangements before a pulpit or desk. Volunteers help maintain strict silence, and the beauty of the place of worship itself instils peace into the mind.

·
Premium Member
16,254 Posts
I only fixed the 20 to 10

Apart this, there was already an almost valid poll when I came (now it is).

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Lotus Temple

The Lotus temple is a truly magnificent structure. It's one of the most visited temples in all of India, and people of all faiths pray there. It was designed around a motif that's found in every Indian temple, that of a lotus. While designed to evoke the magnificense of the Taj, it symbolizes spirituality itself. From the Bahai website:
In brief, the lotus represents the Manifestation of God, and is also a symbol of purity and tenderness. Its significance is deeply rooted in the minds and hearts of the Indians. In the epic poem Mahabharata, the Creator Brahma is described as having sprung from the lotus that grew out of Lord Vishnu's navel when that deity lay absorbed in meditation, There is a deep and universal reverence for the lotus, which is regarded as a sacred flower associated with worship throughout many centuries. In Buddhist folklore the Boddhisatva Avalokiteswara is represented as born from a lotus, and is usually depicted as standing or sitting on a lotus pedestal and holding a lotus bloom in his hand. Buddhists glorify him in their prayers, "Om Mani Padme Hum", "Yea, 0 Jewel in the Lotus!" Lord Buddha says you have to be like a lotus which, although living in dirty water, still remains beautiful and undefiled by its surroundings.

So, we realise that the lotus is associated with worship, and has been a part of the life and thoughts of Indians through the ages. It will seem to them as though they have been worshipping in this Temple in their dreams for years. Now their vision has become a reality and. God willing, some day they will all enter and worship in it.
Its surrounded by 26 acres of manicured garden and garden paths that wind its way to the temple itself. When I was there when I was little, I remember monkeys in the trees as well.

The design of the building and the placement of the pools of water are designed as they are in Indian temples, where the moisture and natural ventilation provide an air-conditioner-like atmosphere in the temple, leaving it dry and cool even in the wettest and hottest of Delhi days.

Photography is strictly forbidden (even though so many people take pictures in the gardens from the outside), so interior pictures are very hard to find. The interior of the building is huge and cavernous, basically hollow. The lighting compliments the angles and facets of the building, and there is a huge meditation hall and library.

Lighting also compliments the structure at night, and when you see it in person, and can comprehend the sheer scale of it, its breathtaking.

Peace,
Jai

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went there this summer last. The gardens are lovely, and you can smell the flowers. What's cool about this temple is that the money for its construction was 100% collected by members of India's Ba'hai community

·
Banned
1,308 Posts
kshatriya said:
So you sign up, make it straight to this forum, and this thread, and your first post is this. :|
I'm sorry.. but I don't know how this construction can be considered beautiful
In your country there is the fabulous Taj Mahal and other better things...
May be you see it in religious way...
It is only my symple opinion

Peace and Love

:dance:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts