Registered
1,451 Posts
^^ I doubt this is the design but it is the image included in the article

·
Registered
532 Posts
^^ Bahir Dar Abay River Bridge ^^

source
I prefer instead of these two suspended cable structures (similar to the Abay Gorge bridge built by Japan) with short height pillars..better they redesign it to a one middle tall pillar for the suspension cables like the one recently built in Uganda on the Nile river source, and that flag crap structures are mind boggling !

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
^^ I'm assuming you're referring to the new Jinja bridge in Uganda. Those also have 2 pillars, not one. And that bridge is only two lanes each direction, while the Ethiopia one has 3 lanes + what looks like a bike lane and a wide sidewalk. They will need the 3 layers of cables because of that, and will not be able to do it with a single layer as in the Jinja bridge. By the way these types of bridges are called cable-stayed bridges. And you can't really use a single pillar at the center considering you'll be smack in the center of the river, which you want to avoid for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
532 Posts
What are the chances to have a railway running across the bridge? It seems there is some free space...
there is no space..as you see the middle in the bridge is for the pillars....the continuation of that on the ground become a green area. I think that 's what you saw.

·
4,182 Posts

by: Fasika Tadesse

A Chinese firm secured a deal to construct the nation's longest bridge that will connect Bahir Dar with Gonder for 1.4 billion Br.

China Communication Construction Company (CCCC) was awarded the design and build project that spans 380m across the Abay River.
CCCC secured the project by placing an offer, which was 15.3pc higher than the engineers' estimate.

The bridge, which will have a 21.5m width and the capacity to accommodate a three-lane carriageway, a bicycle path and a walkway, is expected to be completed in three years. The government of Ethiopia will be covering the entire cost of the project.

Upon completion, the project will replace the existing old bridge, according to an official at the Ethiopian Roads Authority, which has a budget of 39 billion Br in the current fiscal year, of which a third is expected to be covered by loans, while the rest will come from the national treasury.

The Bahir Dar Abay River Bridge will replace the current 60-year-old bridge that has deteriorated and aged. Two years ago the Authority hired CCCC to maintain the old bridge at a cost of 23 million Br.

For the initial tender that was announced by the Ethiopian Roads Authority in November 2018, a total of 14 companies expressed interest by buying the bid document. Six local companies, six Chinese, a Turkish and a Tunisian company purchased the bid document, but only four Chinese companies submitted their technical and financial offers.

read the rest @Fortune

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
The construction is now officially started, so the thread title can be changed from planned to under construction, it is expected to be finished in 36 months. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
ባህርዳር:- ባለ 3 አውታር የእግረኛ ማቋረጭ . Lots of inovative ideas lately across Ethiopia. I feel like some one i picking my brains. Hats off to whoever is in charge of these projects

1 - 20 of 22 Posts