SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Bahrain's Issues

2879 Views 40 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Bahraini Spirit
Hi, well I read this (posted somewhere else) report by the International Crisis Group. This is serious stuff (point in the monument thread), and as a Sunni, I understand fully what this report talks about. Here is a link to the report, scary imo if nothin happens about it.

http://www.crisisgroup.org/home/index.cfm?l=1&id=3404

Post your thoughts about this. I'll comment later.
1 - 5 of 41 Posts
Well we've made some progress, but more is still needed...i almost fully agree with the article, save for the fact that it seems to me to be very exaggerated, or rather cynical...I believe all the problems outlined in the article do exist to some degree...except for a couple im not soo sure about....but the article makes it all sound very "combustile"...It sounds like theres an impending and imminent disaster or whatever....thats a very very cynical and negative view of the situation....

And even though the MP's right now aren't really doing their job, and their disastrous proposals might affect us more if they had more power, or as much power as they were granted in the 1973 constitution, constitutional reforms are needed, well some at least...I don't think the new constitution limited the MP's powers for fear of what's happening now, i.e. their backward proposals etc....It was just what it is, a step to limit their powers, and yet somewhat pacify and appease the population and their seemingly incessant calls for the restoration of the parliment...Also, it probably was meant or at least served as grounds for a somewhat undue international recognition and praise, as the article mentioned vis-á-vis the benefactor, the states..

Moody, i think the parliment is a farce, in ohhh SOO MANY ways...The new modified constitution very much limits the parliments powers...The parliment, in effect, is unable to make any big decisions that may go against the government's wishes...Theoretically its all possible, but its not practical or realistic...

Just some of my thoughts on the situation...I'm not saying i'm with or agreeing with the opposition or anybody....
See less See more
So do u, Elmahri and Moody, really think Bahrain's current constitution is fine? It shouldn't be further modified or reformed? not even the slightest bit?
Well i too read the constitution, and the balance of power is very different from that which the 1973 constitution stipulates....The MP's have less power, the government effectively has more at the expense of the ppl....The MP's will not be able to bring about this gradual increase in power or democracy whch u mention unless the government allows them to...The government should be responsible to the MP's, the people, but now its responsible to the National Assembly which is 50% Shura, the Shura being appointed by the government, or rather the head of the government, soo they are naturally with the government, which hinders a true democratic process and the governments accountability to the people...Don't you see that?
I agree with what you said B-Spirit, but still mantain my point...The current situation, having a shura council, may have turned out somewhat favorable as they block the MP's nonesensical and backward proposals, but this didn't happen as a result of the government's vision and foresight...The situation is the way it is to limit the MP's powers...

I don't believe theres a significant disparity between Sunni's and Shiites in Bahrain in general...In specific cases, when it comes to specific governmental jobs sunni's are probably given a sort of priority...but i don't think there's significant poverty in Bahrain that is specific to shiites...

And as for ANAS, MY GOD, i don't like labeling people as this is a civilized forum and its meant for Bahrainis btw, but you seem to be an ignorant, closeminded, brainwashed, racist person....Your comments are very offensive and ignorant, soo please don't participate any further in this thread, as you're views are clearly wrong, misinformed, and destructive...

And as for casanova, we are seeking reforms, the establishment of a strong educated and enlightened parliment, a new dimension of democracy which gives the ppl power, or at least thats what is claimed, so thats why the situation needs to change...I don't believe the constitution necessarily favors sunnis...But the changes introduced since the 1973 constitution does give more power to the government regardless of wheather it is sunni dominated or not...
See less See more
I think it should stay..Unless the situation gets worse than it already is...
1 - 5 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.