SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 438 Posts

·
Azərbaycanlı Moderator
14,928 Posts
Opened in 1967, the Baku metro has 2 lines, 20 stations and 30.5 km of track, all of which is underground.

MAP OF BAKU METRO

Pictures of Nizami station in Baku:

The metro network consists of 2 lines which were planned in the 1960's. The first stretch opened on 6 Nov 1967 between Baki Soveti and Narimanov (6.5 km). In 1968, a 2.4 km stretch from 28 Mai to Khatai was put into service. Currently a new transfer station is being built at 28 Mai to avoid train crossing. The network was expanded gradually and reached its current length of 30.5 km in 2002. Stations have 100 m platforms which allow the use of 5-car-trains in service since 1985. Track gauge is 1524 mm, power supply is via third rail (825 V dc).

Line 2 is currently under construction towards the north although no date for completion is known. It will eventually be extended also towards the east.

History
Some stations were renamed in the 1990-1992, names given in brackets are original names found on older maps:

6/11/67: Baki Soveti - Narimanov (6.5 km)
22/2/68: 28 Mai (28 Aprel) - Khatai (Shaumyan) (2.4 km)
5/5/70: Narimanov - Ulduz (2.7 km)
7/11/72: Ulduz - Neftchilar (4.7 km)
31/12/76: 28 Mai (28 Aprel) - Nizami (2.4 km)
1979: Narimanov - Bakmil
1985: Nizami - Memar Adzhemi (6.7 km)
4/89: Neftchilar - Akhmedly (3 km)
10/12/2002: Akhmedly - Hazi Aslanov (1.5km)

- other renamed station: 20 January (XI Gysyl Ordu Mejdany), Kara Karayev (Avrora), Sahil (Baky Komissary)

PROJECTS

Currently under construction (though suspended):

Memar Adzhemi - Darnagul (4.1 km - 3 stations)
Khatai - Güneshli (10.2 km - 5 stations)

Approved:

Hazi Aslanov - Airport(5 stations)

Links
Baku Metropoliten (Official Page)

·
Registered
647 Posts

The Baku subway claims the honor of having the world's worst subway accident, in which 300 people died of carbon monoxide poisoning. A bomb exploded in 1994, killing 14 people. So far, there have also been two terrorist attacks on the Baku metro. Hetai station was reopened in 2001 for the third time. The last closure was due seawater in the station and tunnels.

·
Azərbaycanlı Moderator
14,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MuddyZehbra32 said:

The Baku subway claims the honor of having the world's worst subway accident, in which 300 people died of carbon monoxide poisoning. A bomb exploded in 1994, killing 14 people. So far, there have also been two terrorist attacks on the Baku metro. Hetai station was reopened in 2001 for the third time. The last closure was due seawater in the station and tunnels.
Yeah unforunately that is the trueth! :( One attacked was carry out by lezgin terrorist organization, other two attackes were carry out by armenian terrorists.

·
Azərbaycanlı Moderator
14,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
elfreako said:
Azerbaijan is quite a rich country, right?
Azerbaijan is very rich with its culture and resourses. But there are still some problems in economy. But it is growing fast. Also the data of CIA and other structures don't show the real benefits of azerbaijani society, actually the real situation in Azerbaijanis much better than CIA's data and etc. But there is a problem with occupied territories(about 20% of Azerbaijan is occupied by Armenia) and refugees. Each 8-th azerbaijanian citizen is a refugee :( But i hope we will take all this territories back. Also Azerbaijanis carryng out the biggest projects of region Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan and "Contract of Century".

·
----
817 Posts
But there is a problem with occupied territories(about 20% of Azerbaijan is occupied by Armenia) and refugees. Each 8-th azerbaijanian citizen is a refugee But i hope we will take all this territories back.
Uhh, yes, going to war is going to help.... :hmmm:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Can you talk a bit about the 28 May station and the interchange? I read many conflicting pieces of informatoin. What's the status now?

·
Azərbaycanlı Moderator
14,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Palal said:
Can you talk a bit about the 28 May station and the interchange? I read many conflicting pieces of informatoin. What's the status now?
Was there any problem with 28 may station? No problem with that station. I am on that station every day. My workplace is very close to that station :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Galandar said:
Was there any problem with 28 may station? No problem with that station. I am on that station every day. My workplace is very close to that station :)
I meant the routing through the station. How many times was it changed?

·
Registered
15,036 Posts
raymond_tung88 said:
All former Soviet Union and North Korean metros are all elaborate and elegant. Its as if its a palace underground or something...
I think is like this because this decoration simbolizes the soviet revolution, giving to worker classes (metro users), rich ruiling classes goods (elegant decoration).

I don't know, maybe former-USSR SSC users could extend the information.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
The latest Baku metro map can be found by clicking this link – http://www.urbanrail.net/as/baku/baku.htm

Is there any remaining of now closed tramway system present in today’s Baku? Sumkayt & Baku’s tram closure is a modern day’s incident. While many Asian countries like North Korea, Turkey etc. have returned their trams, it is a great matter or shame that some Asian countries like Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia etc. has closed their rich tram networks recently.

What were the problems behind the tramway closure in Baku (& Sumqayt)?

·
Azərbaycanlı Moderator
14,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The latest Baku metro map can be found by clicking this link – http://www.urbanrail.net/as/baku/baku.htm

Is there any remaining of now closed tramway system present in today’s Baku? Sumkayt & Baku’s tram closure is a modern day’s incident. While many Asian countries like North Korea, Turkey etc. have returned their trams, it is a great matter or shame that some Asian countries like Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia etc. has closed their rich tram networks recently.

What were the problems behind the tramway closure in Baku (& Sumqayt)?
The nubmers of cars that is growing day by day. I feel sad that they closed the tram lines in 3 azerbaijani cities: Baku, Ganca and Sumgayit.

As for Baku metro, new Nasimi station was opened in 2008 and another Azadlyg station will be opened in 2009. Three more stations including the first 2 stations of the third line are under construction. In general the plans are to open at least one station per year and this process will take place for some 20 years.

1 - 20 of 438 Posts