·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Wonderful Ballarat.

A world neoclassical gem IMO.

·
"The Ignorant Fool"
2,576 Posts
Wow, many architectural gems here. I educated myself with the good article in Wikipedia on Ballarat. Thanks for the tour.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Thankyou for the shots. Ballarat has some wonderful gems, and it's pleasing that they have been committed to preserving the towns heritage. Very few cities and towns have shown the committment that Ballarat has. In some sections, you are transported into another era.

I'm hoping that I can visit Ballarat again in the not too distant future and get some shots. I need to see it on foot, as the one time I was there, I was driven around and I didnt have the time to stop and admire the buildings.

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
@a.j.wilko
1,088 Posts
Ballarat is one of regional Victoria's most beautiful historic towns. it's history is amazing and to be admired. It is to an extent like entering into another era.

It can be a very cold place in winter also, a lot of the time it has the lowest temperatures of any regional city in the state.

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Since I was born there, and all the relies lived there, I have a certain affection for the place too.

My Dad used to go to Sunday School here ...

A few more pictures ... Sturt Street is a gem!

Very much a city of Victorian towers ... you neeed to pan this last shot to see them all.
The fire-station's lookout tower is way over to the right. Actually, there's also another fire
tower to the left, not in the pictire.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Just sensational shots thanks.
Ive always thought that Ballarat has preserved its rich history more than the other Victorian golden era city Bendigo.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Wow. looks like they have cleaned up their act. Love it.
I have bad memories of Ballarat as a dirty, wind swept town despite my appreciation for historical buildings on a grand scale. Probably had something to do with visiting relatives who where twits in the middle of winter on numerous occaisions :nuts:

How lucky we are to have 2 farly large non capital cities chock full of that grandd victorian architecture which mostly seems confined to the big cities.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks so much for the pics!
I grew up in Ballarat and will always think of it as "my hometown." I don't reckon I'd wanna live there now as a young adult, but it's the perfect place for families; clean, quiet, large enough of a city to have most services, close to Melbourne, and there's a lot gardens and picnic areas. But the town closes up at 6PM and the winds...oh...the winds! People here in LA think that a 17 degree day is freezing, so I'm sure they've never experienced a Ballarat winter; that's the definition of cold! Otherwise, Ballarat holds a very special place in my heart and the pics brought back many fond memories.

An interesting (and useless) bit of info, they is a town here in California named Ballarat. It was named by goldminers who came to America after the Victorian goldrush. Although it's in Death Valley and has very little in commn with its Aussie counterpart; especially in weather!

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Thanks so much for the pics!
I grew up in Ballarat ...

An interesting (and useless) bit of info, they is a town here in California named Ballarat. It was named by goldminers who came to America after the Victorian goldrush. Although it's in Death Valley and has very little in commn with its Aussie counterpart; especially in weather!
Bronteboy can supply you with photos!

·
Registered
77,306 Posts
great pix
love ballarat. bluestone bldgs everywhere!!
the two cathedrals are impressive structures.pity both never saw there towers built.
St Patricks Catholic

and Christ church anglican

St peters
bluestone

also the 43m soaring spire of St andrews kirk church

the most eleborate structure
36m spire of Scots church

CBD from sov hill

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
great pix
love ballarat. bluestone bldgs everywhere!!
the two cathedrals are impressive structures.pity both never saw there towers built.

St peters
bluestone
Thanks Culwalla ... this is where my parents married, and, about a quarter of a century later, I carried out my Grandmother's coffin (with some assistance).

First time I've seen it on the net. They used to live across the road ... Sturt Street, that is.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
^^
Compaire that BW pic to the 1st pic on this page, only the dome roof ontop of the centre building tower is missing, if they fixed that then that photo would be exactly the same :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts