Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from The Collector's Ballarat thread, and given the recent interest in this fine Victorian (in both senses) city, here are some pics from my collection, all taken this year.

Cheers,
The Olderfleet :cheers2:

Eureka Centre

Mining Exchange

Ballarat College

University of Ballarat (former Post Office)

Lydiard Street South

The extremely retro Mid City Motel (photo tinted for effect!)

Ballarat 1956

Loreto Catholic College

Myer Ballarat (just refurbished)

St Alipius' Catholic Church and School

Ballarat Town Hall

That's all folks!

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Some good shots there, too ..

In the Lydiard street South photo, we see Craig's hotel (left) and what I understood to be a Manchester unity building (right). Can't swear to this ... maybe it's just a distorted childhood presumption which has become a memory.

My question is: is the rather strange octagonal structure on this building complete? Is it as planned or is it missing a cupola/ dome?

The "Argus" Building in Melbourne (n.w. corner of Elizibeth & Latrobe) raises the same question.

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
I've always been a Bendigo fan out of our two big B's. Still Ballarat sure is a fine city - especially when viewed through Oldie's lense. Well done!

·
Registered
54 Posts
has anyone got a shot of the new (i think its the ANZ builing) being built in Ballarat?? I would like to see!!

·
Developer
7,686 Posts
In the Lydiard street South photo, we see Craig's hotel (left) and what I understood to be a Manchester unity building (right). Can't swear to this ... maybe it's just a distorted childhood presumption which has become a memory.

My question is: is the rather strange octagonal structure on this building complete? Is it as planned or is it missing a cupola/ dome?

I can't understand why this building hasn't been restored, it's a gem.

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
Im surprised you got blue skys in all photos, thought there would have to be raining in atleast one, jk.

·
Registered
982 Posts

I can't understand why this building hasn't been restored, it's a gem.
I recall seeing this building on my one very enjoyable day in Ballarat. It struck me at the time that the cupola didn't look like it was originally designed as part of the building but rather rescued from some other structure and just plopped on top. Both the stone and the design language of both segments seem to be at odds with each other. It's a wonderful building just the same and certainly merits restoration and very soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts