Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is for the development of a site on Brassey Street, off Hill Street in Toxteth. The site is currently grassed, with a few trees, but suffers from fly-tipping. Older area maps indicate the site previously held industrial premises, and therefore the site is in essence a brownfield site. The plans call the site to be developed with a block of 8-9 storeys, comprising 174 apartments, with an 87 space basement car park, and various landscaping works around the site. The developer (and friend of this site) is Eloquent Global and the architect is Studio RBA.

Planning Application
Application Number - 16F/2879
Site Address - Land east of Brassey Street Liverpool L8 5XP
Proposal - To erect a part 8/part 9 storey building comprising 174 apartments, with 87 basement and ground level car parking spaces and associated cycle storage and landscaping works.
Applicant - Eloquent Global Limited
From here - http://northgate.liverpool.gov.uk/P...ins/Liverpool_WIP/Menus/PL.xml&DAURI=PLANNING

The application will be decided on by the Planning Committee on 13th March 2018.

The Site
- Original image from Google Maps. Copyright to Google.
https://flic.kr/p/24SGbsY

Elevations
- Images copyright to their respective copyright holders. Shown here for informational purposes only.
https://flic.kr/p/24SGaM9

Renders
- Images copyright to their respective copyright holders. Shown here for informational purposes only.
https://flic.kr/p/GNDrGj

https://flic.kr/p/24SGEFG

https://flic.kr/p/24SqyTb

Original Proposal
- The original proposal would have seen a development of 10-15 storeys, with ground floor commercial space, in an eye-catching block -
https://flic.kr/p/24SGb8E

After lengthy discussion with the HRC, the plans were amended significantly to the current design.

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
Decent enough building but pretty terrible that they got rid of the commercial space. It's prime commercial land now, being adjacent to the biggest start up hotspot in the entire city. They would have had people banging on their door to occupy space down there.

With many commercial players in the area worried about new residents complaining about noise and getting them shut down, the lack of commercial in this scheme places it in the "supporting residents but not commercial" camp.

Also the new design isn't a patch on the original. Shame.

·
Just something
9,059 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I actually prefer the new development. It should look good if the brick and cladding is decent quality. There's some nice detailing with different bonds.

I think it will be a better fit with the streetscape and the new arched brick development next door than the first design, which was eye catching in its own right but would have felt quite incongruous on that street imo.

The removal of the commercial space is a bad move though. I don't think purely residential should be allowed by the Council so close to the Baltic.

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
I agree it's actually a good development but the loss of commercial is a big blow. Yes it'll create more punters for local businesses but nowhere for new businesses. If they all had that approach the whole thing would fall down.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Unfortunately the loss of commercial space to the ground floor was a commercial decision.

In our first scheme we gave away the first three floors to commercial as we agree that the Baltic Triangle needs more high quality class A and B space.

However there is a shallow railway tunnel running though our site which limited the number of car parking spaces we could achieve at one level of underground car parking. As we needed to hit 50% allocation this limited us to 174 residential units.

As we reduced in height the margins became tighter and something (commercial) had to give. However, we have provided 2 bed duplex apartments to ground floor at 70sqm, which I would imagine are some of the biggest apartments in the city. (If anyone is looking to purchase )

Liverpools Urban Design Team and our Planning Officer played a big part in the final design and I think collectively with our Architect Studio RBA they have done a smashing job! In our opinion this scheme is now the right scheme for the area.

Eloquent Developments have learned a lot in these last 18m on Brassey Street and we are looking forward to putting the lessons in to practice for the next ones.
Hopefully bigger and better!

·
Registered
13,981 Posts
Unfortunately the loss of commercial space to the ground floor was a commercial decision.

In our first scheme we gave away the first three floors to commercial as we agree that the Baltic Triangle needs more high quality class A and B space.

However there is a shallow railway tunnel running though our site which limited the number of car parking spaces we could achieve at one level of underground car parking. As we needed to hit 50% allocation this limited us to 174 residential units.

As we reduced in height the margins became tighter and something (commercial) had to give. However, we have provided 2 bed duplex apartments to ground floor at 70sqm, which I would imagine are some of the biggest apartments in the city. (If anyone is looking to purchase )

Liverpools Urban Design Team and our Planning Officer played a big part in the final design and I think collectively with our Architect Studio RBA they have done a smashing job! In our opinion this scheme is now the right scheme for the area.

Eloquent Developments have learned a lot in these last 18m on Brassey Street and we are looking forward to putting the lessons in to practice for the next ones.
Thanks for the reply. Don't get me wrong, I like this development. I just preferred the other one for what it contained and the more adventurous design. There's no doubt this will add positively to the area.

Also, how are things progressing on your other Baltic scheme?

Any timescales for on site (outline or otherwise)?

·
Human Being
42,976 Posts

I definitely prefer the new design. Hopefully the quality of the materials will do it justice.

·
Registered
843 Posts

I'm not sure the loss of commercial space is such a bad thing. I would rather an area had slight to little than too much.

But if you could look at this site it would be good https://unlistedliverpool.blogspot.com/2016/06/bottom-west-derby-road.html or even https://unlistedliverpool.blogspot.com/2017/07/shaw-hill-street.html and as a developer give some idea of what is unattractive about them.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts