SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pics I took of the Castle of the Hill at 33rd Street and The Alameda. The administration is having some work done on the 150 ft. tower to support (of all things) cell phone towers. Despite being on the National Register of Historic Buildings, the revenue generated by these cell towers aparently outweigh, well...anything else. Regardless, they certainly dont make 'em like this anymore.

The Main Building




Notice the detail






Something in Latin is written below this building


Are these squirrels?


The View: The towers of neighboring Canterbury-Tuscany


The View: Morgan State University and Mervo Tech. High School in the background


The View: Baltimore to the south....Canton Crossing and American Brewery Buildings


The View: Baltimore to the northeast...More Morgan State and Mervo High School


The View: Johns Hopkins Medical Campus to the south


The View: Canton Crossing and American Brewery...again.


The View: B'more




History of the school....as per Wikipedia:

Baltimore City College is a public secondary school in Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.

The school is the third oldest public high school in the United States, predated only by the English High School of Boston (1829) and the Central High School of Philadelphia (1838). Its motto is "Palmam Qui Meriut Ferat" or Honor to One Who Earns it. The school mascot is the Black Knight and the school's colors are Black and Orange.

History

Authorized by the City Council of Baltimore, in March 1838, it took until October of 1839 to open the new school under Professor Nathan C. Brooks. Located on Courtland Street (now Preston Gardens at St. Paul Place), it was later renamed the "Male High School" after the establishment of two schools for females, Eastern and Western High Schools in 1844.

In the 1850s, it became known as "The Central High School of Baltimore" when it was located at the northwestern corner of Holliday and Fayette Streets (the former "Assembly Rooms", built in 1799 by architect/builders Robert Cary Long and Nicholas Rogers, and also the site of the first private Library Company of Baltimore. The school's first commencement was held in 1851 with philosopher, author and civic leader Severn Teackle Wallis speaking.

Here it was next door to the Holliday Street Theatre where the Star Spangled Banner was first performed in 1814 following the British attack on Baltimore. A few more doors to the north was the first home of what later became Loyola High School and College for young men in 1852 where a curriculum of the classics, literature and fine arts was taught.

By 1866, the school was raised to the status of college and named "The Baltimore City College" (BCC) by act of the City Council of Baltimore, and a five year curriculum was begun.


Relocation

In 1873, the Holliday and Fayette structure was destroyed by a fire that also burned down the neighboring theatre. After several temporary locations, the BCC relocated to a new English Gothic-styled building to the northwest of the old downtown, at Howard and Centre Streets. In 1876, ceremonies were held in the adjacent Academy of Music for the commencement of the new Johns Hopkins University, which had established several buildings alongside City College under its first president, Daniel Coit Gilman.

Baltimore public schools were racially segregated then, and a Colored High School was begun out of the Douglass Institute established in 1865. This was later renamed Frederick Douglass High School and became a prominent center for black education.

American Football Rivalry

During the late 1880s, inter-scholastic sports became a feature of school life and a number of teams were begun in various sports. In 1889, the first football game was played between the BCC and the new Manual Training School (1883), then located on Courtland Street just a short distance from City College's first building fifty years before. After the Manual Training School was renamed to the Baltimore Polytechnic Institute (BPI), a scrimmage game continued to be played for almost 15 more years until the first victory by BPI in 1904. This led to the longest high school American football rivalry in the nation.


Reconstruction

City College's Tudor Gothic building lasted until 1892 when it was undermined by the construction of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad tunnel from Camden Station to Mount Royal Station, and collapsed. Several years of political in-fighting and the change to a reformist city administration delayed construction of a replacement structure on the same site. In 1895, the new structure, designed by the architects Baldwin and Pennington, was built facing north towards Centre Street.

The "Castle on the Hill"

This new building became quickly overcrowded and an annex was established on 26th Street. This addition, however, did not help with the increase in school-aged youth beginning to attend school by World War I. During the 1920s, campaigning was begun by the school's alumni to provide a proper building, and in 1926 ground was broken for a massive Collegiate Gothic stone castle with a 40 acre (160,000 m²) campus, on a hill in the newly-annexed northeastern suburbs at 33rd Street and The Alameda. This new structure cost almost 3 million dollars (1926 dollars) and was one of the most expensive secondary schools ever constructed.

The four-level "Castle on the Hill" was surmounted by a 150-ft clock tower designed by architects Buckler and Fenhagen. The "castle" featured arched windows and cornices, gargoyles, stained glass, mahogany paneling, plaster arches, chandeliers and terra cotta tiles and terrazzo floors with two courtyards and plans for additional wings and buildings. Opened April 10, 1928, the Castle was designated a National Historic Landmark on its 75th birthday. In 1939, City College celebrated its Centennial Anniversary with a year-long program of activities and events.

Into the 21st century, the four year course of study has become more comprehensive including modern languages, sciences and mathematics in addition to more traditional classica.
 

·
Buffalo's Worst Nightmare
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
third oldest, eh? That's a feather in Charm City's cap.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top