SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Taken at the same time as the pictures in my events thread, these pictures ended up being a collection of people enjoying the city and beautiful architecture. The Live Baltimore Home Center's tag line seemed like an appropriate title for the thread.

Fun on Federal Hill

Mount Vernon Cultural District

Top of the Washington Monument:

Inside the Washington Monument:

Maryland Historical Society:

Westside, Inner Harbor and Federal Hill by Night

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
What great pics. I remember my days in Baltimore. We use to drive up from D.C. for Artscape. Baltimore has lots of history and great architecture. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

That end unit has to be the best house in the entire city. It has a lawn up on the edge of federal hill. a view of downtown that will never be blocked. its huge. on a dead end street. by far the best house in the entire city.

·
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taller said:
I'm having problems downloading the pix... getting many red x's...
the pix I am seeing are great!
Hmmm... I had trouble uploading them too; I think fotop.net is having server problems. Glad you liked what you saw though! :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
It looks from your pics that Baltimore has a light rail system on the streets? Is it effective? The ones I've been on before kind of suck.

·
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lesterZ said:
It looks from your pics that Baltimore has a light rail system on the streets? Is it effective? The ones I've been on before kind of suck.
Yes, Baltimore has a single north-south light rail line that runs through the city at street level and out into the suburbs. Unfortunately it's not the most effective system. It's quite frustrating through downtown as the light rail doesn't have priority at stop lights and so there are frequent stops. The line was built in the late 80s - early 90s without any federal funds and so is a credit to the governer for having the vision to get it done, but it also means it was done quite quickly and at relatively low cost. Originally there were long stretches of single track, meaning service was infrequent. The double-tracking project meant whole sections had to close, but it was finally completed this year and ridership numbers are slowly starting to build back up.

The light rail doesn't connect directly to the Metro (also a single line) and the proposed Red Line (east-west) could be built as Bus Rapid Transit, which would make the system even more disjointed. The lack of a complete and coherent transit system is one of the city's biggest weaknesses right now.

·
Registered
473 Posts

That end unit has to be the best house in the entire city. It has a lawn up on the edge of federal hill. a view of downtown that will never be blocked. its huge. on a dead end street. by far the best house in the entire city.

This place sold in the early 90s for something stupid cheap. I'm thinking less than 350k. They have waterviews from the basement!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah, I spent a weekend in Baltimore a year ago. Quite a nice city with some glamorous architecture, also the seafood capital of North America. :sly:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Referring to the 1st pic : and to think The Vue is close to completion.

Nice Pics!

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Good pictures. I had no idea you could go up in the Washington monument. could you see downtown from there?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts