SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Yeah, I know what kind of weather is there in Dallas (I spent 2 nice months in Arlington a couple of years ago...) and that there is no need to build roofs at stadiums in Texas (at least for protecting people from rain). I must admit I know nothing about the climate in Baltimore. Maybe some locals could tell us whether they would like to see a roof at M&T Bank Stadium?
Must have been between October and May. There's no way I would build a new stadium in Texas without a roof. Summertime is simply a beating.

·
Birdland Enthusiast
377 Posts
actually I really like it, the bowl is asimetric enough to give it some character, but still has some continuity, that helps the athmosphere.

From when was that photo of a football match (soccer), seems to be a sellout???

This stadium is not more famous only because its tennant and city are not that "glamorous" Imagine if this stadium was in NYC or LA or Dallas, hosting the Yankees, Cowboys, etc... plus frecuent internationall soccer friendlies, etc...
Hmmm...hate to say it but I disagree. First and foremost the Ravens who claim M&T Bank Stadium as their home is a prestigious franchise. They are presently on their way to their third consecutive playoff birth and are amongst the top ten most valuable NFL franchises. If there's any reason for this stadium being overshadowed it is not because of Baltimore being a medium sized city, but more so because of its older neighbor, Oriole Park at Camden Yards. Oriole Park is perhaps the most influential American sports complex in modern history and helped to spawn the retro/urban renaissance of MLB ballparks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
This is hands-down one of the top 3 best looking stadiums in the US. The huge video boards, the unique seating arrangement of the upper decks, and the purple and black seats just look great aesthetically. It achieves looking professional and nice with having character at the same time which is usually pretty rare.

·
Banned
11 Posts
# This stadium is # 1 in my book. We would have a fit if anyone wanted a retractable roof added. Just wear a big Ravens Jacket in December. Most seat liscense owners love to sell their tickets December!! for cheap.

Watching the sunset on a beautiful September or October Sunday in this stadium.
AWESOME!!!!
Brilliant orange red sunsets.
Plus watching the Ravens win 12 or more games.
MORE AWESOME!!!!!!!
We demand nothing less in Charm City.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
This is a nice place, but there is one flaw here: the huge gap between the two levels. The way the suites are stacked around the entire field mirrors the mistake made at Staples Center, Raymond James Stadium, the late Texas Stadium and others.

·
LocksRocks
313 Posts
This is a hansome looking stadium.
I just wondered though. In the US there are a number of examples of stadiums where the lower tiers, are a bowl, while the upper sections are broken up.
I just wondered why this was?
It seems that by having a complete bowl, more people could fit into the stadium.
Also, how do stadiums in the US compare (as a footprint) to the ones they replace.
In the UK, new grounds tend to be around 2.5 times the size of older grounds with the same capacity.

·
Registered
304 Posts
This is a nice place, but there is one flaw here: the huge gap between the two levels. The way the suites are stacked around the entire field mirrors the mistake made at Staples Center, Raymond James Stadium, the late Texas Stadium and others.
I disagree. Max there are only 2 levels of skyboxes here...a large amount of NFL stadiums have at least 2 levels. They don't stand out as a prominent figure of this stadium to me at all.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I just wondered though. In the US there are a number of examples of stadiums where the lower tiers, are a bowl, while the upper sections are broken up.
It seems that by having a complete bowl, more people could fit into the stadium.
Also, how do stadiums in the US compare (as a footprint) to the ones they replace.
In the UK, new grounds tend to be around 2.5 times the size of older grounds with the same capacity.
Not all stadiums here are built to be HUGE. You'll see it in a few college football stadiums that can fit up to 100,000, but not really in the pros.

Pro football stadums in the States are built more for atmosphere and fan experience. At least, today anyway...

In a way, there's really no need to have a "complete stadium".

·
Unregistered User
2,539 Posts
Doesn't matter if they could fit more people. They don't need to.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I disagree. Max there are only 2 levels of skyboxes here...a large amount of NFL stadiums have at least 2 levels. They don't stand out as a prominent figure of this stadium to me at all.
Just because other stadiums do it, doesn't mean that it's not a design flaw.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just because other stadiums do it, doesn't mean that it's not a design flaw.
So basically every other NFL stadium is flawed then? I still don't think the suites are prominent of a feature here to really stand out as negatively impacting other seats. Staples Center and Cowboys Stadium though, yes.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
levels on top of stacked suites is fine as long as the tiers of suites move closer to the field as they get higher and even allow some cantilevering. Makes for great upper deck views compared to stadiums that don't do this. Higher up, yes, but closer to the action, yes also. Don't see it as a design flaw at all.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
# This stadium is # 1 in my book. We would have a fit if anyone wanted a retractable roof added. Just wear a big Ravens Jacket in December. Most seat liscense owners love to sell their tickets December!! for cheap.

Watching the sunset on a beautiful September or October Sunday in this stadium.
AWESOME!!!!
Brilliant orange red sunsets.
Plus watching the Ravens win 12 or more games.
MORE AWESOME!!!!!!!
We demand nothing less in Charm City.
Watching the sunset in September might be cool, but try the same in December or January :eek:hno: Not even the thick blanket saved me from freezing last December vs Steelers.

Stadium design is cool indeed, but I find the solution only optically cool, there are quite a few better NFL stadiums out there. Try to take the wrong stairs and then find the way around ... could be funny walk :lol: Of course this is only my opinion ...... :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Love this stadium, but intrigued by the top tier corner seats (in the breaks between the stands). Surely the views from some of these seats are horrendously restricted?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Love this stadium, but intrigued by the top tier corner seats (in the breaks between the stands). Surely the views from some of these seats are horrendously restricted?
I'm not sure what exactly you may be referring to...? It doesn't look like they would be restricted at all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Actually, every seat in those endzone upper deck seats can view 100% of the football field because the designers were smart. M&T Bank Stadium and Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati are the two best NFL stadiums I've ever been in.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I never realized how beautiful this stadium is until not it's definetly my 3rd favorite NFL venue in terms of Archtecture.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm not sure what exactly you may be referring to...? It doesn't look like they would be restricted at all.
The top tier has gaps in the corners. In 2 of the corners, there are small blocks of seats in these gaps. Some of these seats may look as though they only have a partial view of the field, obstructed by the sideline stand (actually, looking at the photos clearly I'm not so convinced anymore!). But look at this photo...

To me it looks as though some of the seats are hidden behind the upper tier stand (and if we can't the see the seat, the person in the seat can't see the camera). Do you see what I mean?

41 - 60 of 126 Posts