SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of questions for the other Baltimore forumers: I'm considering going to watch the Preakness parade on Saturday and was wondering if it's worth it from a photography point of view? Is it easy to get a good spot or is the crowd usually several people deep? Where would be the best spot to view it from? I'm moving back to the UK at the end of the year, so it's this year or never to watch the parade!

·
Registered
782 Posts
The parade at one time went down Charles Street at night and it got very crowded. They changed the route several years ago. This year it goes down Eutaw Street from MLK at the North, to Lombard Street at the south. I have never seen it over there.

I am going to go this year, weather permitting, and watch it by the Hippodrome. I doubt it will be crowded. In my opinion, they never should have changed the route. Charles Street in the evening really got a big crowd especially when it went by all the gay bars north of the monument, and the restaurants everyplace else on that street.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
If you have a car, I would park in one of the garages along Eutaw and then "toggle" between taking shots from the sidewalk as well as from the garage for "aerial" views. (In part I mention "if you have a car" so that if a garage attendant pesters to ask about your presence, at least you would be legitimate and not trespassing.) Also keep in mind the direction of the sun (and shadows) for that time of day.

I also think the parade REALLY ought to go down Charles Street. After all, it is the traditional ceremonial route in the city. But in part, the city has been pushing for new parade routes to help focus more public attention on other up and coming areas in the city.

The evening Preakness parades were the best. Many of the parade elements were often decorated for the night...be it with lights, reflective material, etc. The parade took on more of a magical quality in the evening. It added incredible ambience and life to city streets; it was our version of a Mardi Gras.

My favorite Preakness parade was May 1987. Not only did we celebrate Preakness, but the 150th anniversary of The Sun. The parade, the people, the huge Sun paper fireworks display...it was awesome. To this day, I have associates who were visiting that year, who have said they left Baltimore with a (new) favorable impression of the city...

·
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I like the parking garage idea... and it's not often anyone would hear me say that sentence!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts