SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bamboo is the most used for scaffolding in HK especially with building construction because of it's strong, lightweight material. Bamboo scaffolding in HK can go up to 30 stories and there are alot of construction workers in the city who are experts in this field.

Bamboo scaffolding in HK

·
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
_00_deathscar said:
Isn't Hong Kong still the only place in the world that uses bamboo scaffolding?
Not at all. Bamboo scaffolding is also used in Macau and other cities in The Mainland like Shanghai.

I was in Manila last week and I saw some bamboo scaffolding there but not as massive as HK.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I remember being fascinated by those construction workers climbing up super-high bamboo structure, back when I used to live in Hong Kong. Ahh... the momeries...!!!!

·
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mosaic said:
That's interesting!!! Is it imported from China or it is available in HK?
I think most of it's bamboo came from the mainland.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I read an article from a book which was talking about how the British were convinced to use those bamboo for the constructions in HK. :|

When the British occupied HK in the 19th century, they contempt the Chinese use those bamboo for constructions and they thought steel shelving were the best. Most of the westernized buildings at that time used steel shelving for constructions, where the Chinese buildings used bamboo.

In 1920s, the British took some bamboos for testings and they wanted to "prove" bamboo were weak, but the tests from the Oxford University shown bamboo are as strong as steel for constructions and it made the British shocked! :eek2:

Also, there was a competition for constructing two similar height buildings in the early 1950s, one used bamboo and the other one used steel. The building used the bamboo trellised was built faster than the steel one. Then, a typhoon came, the one used steel trellised collapsed but the one used bamboo still holded firm! :runaway: Since then, the British never use steel to build new buildings in HK. :|

·
Lurker
14,081 Posts
Some lowrise buildings in Singapore use, not bamboo but big branches fastened together. They are not long, and have to tie a few together to span a long distance.

And these wood scaffoldings are regulated here. Up to a certain height, you have to use steel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts