Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WOW Philippines: The Northern Higlands - Banaue Rice Terraces

The Banaue Rice Terraces are 2000-year-old terraces that were carved into the mountains of Ifugao in the Philippines by ancestors of the Batad people.
It is largely thought that the terraces were built with minimal equipments, largely by hand. The terraces are located approximately 5000 feet above sea level and cover nearly 4000 square miles of the mountainside. They are fed by an ancient irrigation system located from the rainforests above the mountains.

How to get there.

From Manila, the most convenient way is to take the 10pm bus from either Dangwa Bus or Auto Bus (During peak seasons or holy week, you have to at least reserve ticket on week or 3 days before trip whenever possible). Ticket will cost around PHP 290 (approx. 6 to 7 USD). Trips are usually daily. The trip will usually take you around 8 to 9 hours. The trip will pass by Neighboring Provinces of Nueva Vizcaya, Bayombong, Solano, Bambang. You will arrive around 5 to 6 am the next day.

Here's an actual picture when I went there in Aug. 2004.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the view from our hotel in Banaue, Philippines.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
| sariwa |
512 Posts
Wow! Great pics Rodel! heres a few more i found of these ancient wonders:

a rare pic of Ifugao women planting rice saplings on the terraces (19th century)

can you believe, 2-3000 years old! n still being used today the way they were being used when they were built, by the same peoples! wow :) i'm definately visiting Banaue and mountain province the next time i'm back :D

btw:
I found this showcase of dances of the Ifugao people on youtube: the descendants of the ancient terrace builders:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jnZaET3OCJQ&search=ifugao

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
... is back in SCC!
274 Posts
The Banaue Rice Terraces are an awesome sight! So sad it was a bit rainy when I last visited the place December of 2005. I wasn't able to get good pix of the place.

·
™♥•♥•♥™
3,285 Posts
^^
i checked it out..:eek:mg: :eek2: so true..:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: 10x fold..like grand canyon..:bash::bash::bash::bash::bash::bash: i think around 100km+..i'm not sure..:eek:hno::eek:hno::eek:hno::bash::bash::bash::bash::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Banaue Rice Terraces, Philippines
The terraces in and around Banaue are listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
These rice terraces in the mountains were created 2,000 years ago and are still farmed today.

click the image for source​

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
The Rice Terraces of the Philippine Cordilleras is officially removed from the List of World Heritage in Danger at the 36th Session of the UNESCO World Heritage Committee in Saint Petersburg, Russia! This good news was text to me by Archt. Joy Mananghaya who is currently at the meeting. Congratulations to UNACOM, ICOMOS Philippines and the people of Ifugao for the great work that was done!

:banana:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
^^ I believe this is the only "FUNCTIONAL" man made wonder in the world.

(i could be wrong though.. )

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
^^
i checked it out..:eek:mg: :eek2: so true..:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: 10x fold..like grand canyon..:bash::bash::bash::bash::bash::bash: i think around 100km+..i'm not sure..:eek:hno::eek:hno::eek:hno::bash::bash::bash::bash::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
oh, pleaeeese.. don't flatter Grand Canyon, stop comparing it with our Rice Terraces.

It's not even that grand.. (haha just kidding) :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts