Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you fellas know I help manage a music venue here in Philly and I wanted to give you a heads up on a really cool bunch headed down to Miami in a few weeks.

"Davila 666" is a Puerto Rican quintet that plays old-school, energetic punk in a manner that few stateside bands seem able to manage these days. They're also a funny and witty bunch.

They're scheduled to be at Churchills in Little Haiti August 11 (I told them I'd put in a good word with Dave Daniels, the owner). Seriously...I don't get 'giddy' with very many bands these days but these guys are worth the effort. Check them out if you can.

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
Spell, I'm scared they might be the Anti-Christ!:eek:hno:

·
Banned
218 Posts
Spell, I'm scared they might be the Anti-Christ!:eek:hno:
Yes the fact that they have "666" in their name turns me off right away. How about some local church bands or good Latino pop groups that help local kids? Something positive, uplifting and productive is what I look for in for in musical taste.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^:lol:

The "666" stuff is absolutely tongue-in-cheek. They're about as 'Satanic' as a puppy. Nice guys, great band...and they're looking forward to their first gig in Miami. We didn't even have them as the headliners but I think they will be at Churchill's, and deservedly so.

(they don't have red eyes or speak backwards...no worries):cheers:

·
Banned
218 Posts
I see, so what kind of old punk do they play? Any Misfits? Back when I was into the harder music I liked the tone of Glenn Danzig. These days I'm afraid I've mellowed out and like Jazz and easy listening more.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They're not a cover band (although the guitarist was playing some old New York Dolls riffs during sound-check). All originals. There's probably a hundred old-school punk bands you might compare them to musically...stuff like Johnny Thunders circa "LAMF" or "X" or even pop/punk like XTC along with the aforementioned NY Dolls but really it was just their attitude that struck me as so refreshing. They were telling me that there's actually a pretty vibrant scene in Puerto Rico...maybe that's where the old punk energy went to reside?

Either way, there's been multiple bands I've dealt with who were planning a show in Miami and never thought any of them were intersting enough to mention to you fellas. These guys, though, would be an exception.

(plus, they sing in a mix of Spanish and English like one of my old bands...so that scored some points) :cheers:

·
6,953 Posts
Good stuff, Dez. Thanks for the heads up. I won't be in Miami in August, but I checked their MySpace page and they're playing the Talking Head in Baltimore in a few days. I'll let you know what I think if I get a chance to attend.

I've also heard here and there about a pretty vibrant scene in PR. I first noticed it when I came down to Miami as a freshman at FIU. A number of the friends I first met were Puerto Rican and they were all into this really hard punk and metal music. Definitely not what I expected from them. Since then, one of my friends has returned to PR and co-manages a start-up label there. Not all of the music is old-school rock, but a lot of it is. Mexico and Greece are two other places that I've heard have somewhat thriving punk and hard rock scenes.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good stuff, Dez. Thanks for the heads up. I won't be in Miami in August, but I checked their MySpace page and they're playing the Talking Head in Baltimore in a few days. I'll let you know what I think if I get a chance to attend.

I've also heard here and there about a pretty vibrant scene in PR. I first noticed it when I came down to Miami as a freshman at FIU. A number of the friends I first met were Puerto Rican and they were all into this really hard punk and metal music. Definitely not what I expected from them. Since then, one of my friends has returned to PR and co-manages a start-up label there. Not all of the music is old-school rock, but a lot of it is. Mexico and Greece are two other places that I've heard have somewhat thriving punk and hard rock scenes.
Yeah, Peter, I've heard this also. One thing I always wanted to do when I was playing was more international shows...which we never really did aside from a couple of times in Canada. We actually hatched a plan to do a show in Havana once (go through Nassau...don't get the passports stamped...and use equipment from other punkers there we had contact with) but it never came to fruition. That would have been quite the experience!

Anyway, let me know if you get the chance to see Davila. Ever make it over to the Ottobar?

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you tell me the Monkees are playing there,its the first bus out of Jacksonville for me.
Did you know Jimi Hendrix once opened for the Monkees? That had to be one helluva surreal scene with a LOT of confused kids. :lol:

·
Banned
107 Posts
There is no band in Miami satisfying my musical needs. Not into Punk btw, maybe some Exploited (HXC) and UK Decay, Virgin Prunes (Post Punk) but that's it. More of a Martial Industrial or Black Metal kind of guy.

·
Banned
218 Posts
There is no band in Miami satisfying my musical needs. Not into Punk btw, maybe some Exploited (HXC) and UK Decay, Virgin Prunes (Post Punk) but that's it. More of a Martial Industrial or Black Metal kind of guy.
My favorite Miami artist was always Gloria Estefan...

"Come on baby shake your body do the conga, come on baby shake your body, do the conga..."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts