Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 3512 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Construction progress update for November 2006

Updates from the airport...

The Terminal building
At the terminal building work is progressing as per schedule and has already reached roof level in some parts. Approximately 23 % of the roof elements are completed. Concreting of the ground floor slab, the first floor slab and the columns above ground floor continued to progress. Masonry works and plastering works continued to progress in the ground and the first floor. Plumbing and sanitation works continued in the basement. Installation of the cable trays are in progress in the basement.

Air traffic control (ATC) tower & technical block
Construction work at the ATC tower and other auxiliary buildings is nearing completion. Finishing works like flooring, fixtures (doors & windows) installation continued in the ATC block. Installation works for the various services like electrical, fire fighting, plumbing and sanitation are in progress.

Runway, apron and taxiway
The runway will have a length of 4000 meters and a width of 45 meters. At present, the base pavement layer is work under progress.

At the Taxiway, laying of the base pavement layer (granular sub base) continued to progress. Earthworks for the rapid exits are continuing.

At the Apron area, laying of the final top pavement quality concrete layer commenced.

Construction of a four-lane approach road is progressing well. This road, will also link the other airport support facilities

Other development works included

Manufacturing/procurement of the various special airport system equipment like the flight information display system (FIDS), common user terminal equipment (CUTE), public address (PA) system, fire alarm system, access control system, master control system, X-Ray system is completed. Manufacturing of the passenger boarding bridges and equipment for the baggage handling system are nearing completion.
Manufacturing of the elevators and escalators for the buildings are nearing completion.
The four 1500 KVA diesel generators were installed in the power house north building. The high tension (HT) electrical panels installation within the building is in progress.
Civil works for other buildings such as ground support building, the fire fighting building and the AC (air-conditioning) building continued.
The construction of the raw water tank, the potable water and the booster pump houses continued.
The structural concreting works for the sewage treatment plant commenced and continued.
Erection of the 66kv switchyard is nearing completion. Civil works for the main power house building continued.
The laying of the pavement layer for the main access road commenced.
http://www.bialairport.com

·
Registered
312 Posts
BlrBird,

did you read yesterday's TOI?
going by history this one seems a non starter.

Byappanahalli to BIAL train is going to be the only sustainable solution.
That will prolly pan out by 2015.
Hopefully, the train will have stops around Hosur Rd and hebbal area.

·
28,195 Posts
What is this road?

photo copyright sandip debnath

If anybody wonders, despite its traffic and road problem, this scene is just a contradiction, then I must say, you need to go a little out of the city.. Yes, Davenhalli International Airport..

·
28,195 Posts
45% work over at new Bangalore airport
http://www.ibnlive.com/news/45-work-over-at-new-bangalore-airport/29494-7.html

India's largest greenfield airport will become operational in Bangalore's Devanahalli area in just about a year's time.

According to sources in the Bangalore International Airport Limited, about 45 per cent of the work on the international airport has already been completed and work was progressing as per schedule at the terminal building since the work started 17 months ago.

Situated just about 35 km from Bangalore, this is going to be the largest greenfield airport in the country. Construction works of some of the buildings have already reached the roof level in some portions. Approximately, 23 per cent of the roof elements had been completed.

The BIAL authorities are confident that the airport would begin commercial operation in April 2008.

The airport will have a 4,000-metre-long and 45-metre-wide runway and work was progressing rapidly on this stretch. Asphalting work on the runway and laying of final top pavement quality concrete had commenced in the apron area. Construction work at the Air Traffic Control tower and other auxiliary buildings was nearing completion. All services works had commenced in the auxiliary buildings, he added.

On the manufacturing front, Mr Brunner said part of the passenger boarding bridges and the equipment for baggage handling was nearing completion, while other works such as manufacturing of the central air conditioning equipment, apron flood light masts and fixture of electrical poles for urban lighting continued to progress.

·
Registered
312 Posts
thanks ramkan.
i was dissapointed with the angles of the images they chose to publicize this month.
like the two pics of terminal from inside are like ones they use for spot the difference types of oics. ;)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Do you guys really think BIAL & HIAL will be fully functional with all features(world class as claimed) on Day One.

Typically once the structure is complete, it takes about 9 months to make it operational ready, and three months for test runs.

I hate to see them open with basic airport operations and not be ready with all the sytems. The last thing i want to see is some one writing baggage carousel numbers and flight timings with a piece of chalk on a black board or passengers begging for flight information.

This is precisely what i observed at DIAL last week, even six months after take over by GMR. May be at DIAL old habits die hard. I did not find a single GMR soul to file my complaint. Neither their website "suggestions, complaints" page works.

Hopefully these two greenfield projects bring best work culture thats required for service industry like airports.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Do you guys really think BIAL & HIAL will be fully functional with all features(world class as claimed) on Day One.

Typically once the structure is complete, it takes about 9 months to make it operational ready, and three months for test runs.

I hate to see them open with basic airport operations and not be ready with all the sytems. The last thing i want to see is some one writing baggage carousel numbers and flight timings with a piece of chalk on a black board or passengers begging for flight information.

This is precisely what i observed at DIAL last week, even six months after take over by GMR. May be at DIAL old habits die hard. I did not find a single GMR soul to file my complaint. Neither their website "suggestions, complaints" page works.

Hopefully these two greenfield projects bring best work culture thats required for service industry like airports.

Ramkan,
I donot claim to have any deep knowledge regarding this. But I was thinking about the very same thing sometime back.

anywho, as far as BIAL is concerned, Seimens is the partner with air transport expertise, and really what they have proposed for BIAL is their modular airport design with prolly some changes. They have modules for various functions such as passenger, baggage, security, communications etc.
Check this website to get an idea of what BIAL is likely to get

Here is list of airports that have implemented these service. (ofcourse, some of these might be custom designs
While all these have only a few of their components components, BIAL might be the place where they test and implement all their systems in one place.

So at the very least, i think internally BIAL might start working from day 1. But will connect with the main network, i dunno.

How are services going to be transferred from HAL to BIAL? How does the transition take place?? As of now, there are ~3mos in '08 scheduled for testing. What happens during this period? And what are the components that are tested?
Will the transition be gradual over this period of time or does it all happen one fine day? Will there be a period where both HAL and BIAL ATC will be tracking aircrafts? How do you check if your information systems, logistics, security systems are all go? fascinating stuff these systems types problems.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Do you guys really think BIAL & HIAL will be fully functional with all features(world class as claimed) on Day One. Typically once the structure is complete, it takes about 9 months to make it operational ready, and three months for test runs.

Ramkan,

It would be wishful thinking if we expect things to go 100% right from day one. With modern designs, we need modern procedural implementation too and that comes at a very basic, human level.

Unfortunately, with all the hoola hoopla of new designs of the airports built in this decade, there seems to be no word of how the private consortia plan to implement services at the new a/ports.

I will cite international examples from experience - Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok (it's come to a shameful realisation in the last few weeks that quite a lot of things need improvement). HK's Chek Lap Kok airport which was slated to be world's best airport from day one, had one of the most well rehearsed mock-ups prior to opening. (I had participated in being one of the mock passengers and we were taken thru mock check-ins, mock immigration, mock customs, mock air-side queing). All seemed to go well in the mock ups with each department and each service doing exceptionally well in the pre-opening stages.

But on D-day (opening day), all hell broke loose with baggage loss, flight delays and a huge commotion in all spoke and wheel services of the airport. There was utter confusion that lasted quite many days.

You also had Mumbai Domestic terminal having, if not similar problems; then of lesser degree, after they opened it to the public after cosmetic changes in the exterior and interior.

All projects of such magnitude have a learning curve and it all depends on how steep and long (or short) the learning curve is. I personally feel all these new a/ports will have a long curve from zero hour to apex operability !

Hypothetical summary? Expect ! As passengers, do foresee delays, system crashes, confusion, apathy and chaos - in spite of the sparkling new structures.

Amen
p2p4

·
Registered
312 Posts
aha somebody in the know of these things.

so, @ Chek Lap Kok full flight schedule was implemented from day one itself?
do you by any chance know how the ATC was tested?

does familiarity of geometry of airfield help pilots and the controllers?
(i would imagine flight paths in and out of airfield will have to recalculated. are manual calculations or automated?)

according to the website i posted seimens handles baggage for Chek Lap Kok.
hehe. that puts paid to their baggage modules. :)

from the services point of view, i would imagine it will take time for personnel to get familiarized with the lay of the land themselves.

that brings me to the question, who will man the new airport? AAI people from HAL?

tia
vadi

ps:
and i have been thinking about your other point regarding separation of arrivals and departures. i now have my doubts. it might not work not unless they take to manning traffic heavily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is queit intersting.. here are my thoughts about both airports.

The differentiator b/w HIAL and BIAL would be defently the quality of the airport operations. No doubt HIAL has good architecture in comparison with BIAL. But BIAL will score over HIAL in its service and operation efficiency. But the BIAL management and partners has good and long experience in running successfully major aviation hub like Zurich. This clearly evident in their manner in which they have negoiated with GOK and GOI in concession agreement. In recent days if you have noticed the to be airport oeprator has gone through meticulous selction of the service partners. Clearly the process and methodology adopted by the BIAL management has become template for other airport operators.
Regarding transition of services from old HAL airport to new airport, this will be done through operation & readiness and airport transfer (ORAT) consultants. For BIAL this will be done by its one of the promoter, Siemens. Siemens has vast experience in ORAT has successfully executed sevral transfers. Normally this will be done over the period (~ 3 months) and there will be a cut of date and time for airlines to start operation from new airport. What is intersting will be most of international flights from India (BLR) will be in midnight. If the cut of time is april 2, 2008 00.00 hrs, then you can expect confusion interms which airport to check in and where to go. Defently there is large responsibility on both the airport operator and airlines to ensure operations are smooth.
There was question in the this thread about AAI staff in old HAL airport; as per concession agreement, BIAL does not have any binding and may not retain them. Eventually they might get transfered to other airports by Civil aivation ministry. But BIAL might look for "creamy" layer in AAI to join them.

It is intersting to see the amount of interest among the Netizens on important infrastructure like HIAL and BIAL. Defenetly both airports will change the perceptions of about Indian airports from foriegn tourists.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Welcome and thank you for your inputs.

Regarding the transfer issue, you mentioned that it will be done over a period of ~ 3 mos.
Does this include the scheduled 3 months for testing or is it an additional 3 months after the testing period? i.e., does this mean that BIAL will handle its first passengers during the testing period?

Can you comment on a few issues that have been nagging the forumers here for a while?
#1. According to the BIAL virtual tours we have seen, the passengers arrive at the lower level, then take an elevator to the upper level only to descend back to the lower level for baggage claim. Many here feel that this flow is unnatural and can lead to bottle necks especially at the elevators.

#2. On the landside, BIAL has arrival and departure traffic at the same level and hence there is no segregation of incoming and outgoing traffic. Is this an appropriate design from the point of traffic congestion outside the terminal? Is BIAL going to use horizontal separation instead as is done at terminal 4 at JFK? Considering the expected traffic from travelers and visitors is this a sufficient design?

#3. Can you clarify the width of the main access road? Also will the airport city share this road for approach to the highway with the airport passenger, cargo and logistics traffic?

thanks.

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
The differentiator b/w HIAL and BIAL would be defently the quality of the airport operations. No doubt HIAL has good architecture in comparison with BIAL. But BIAL will score over HIAL in its service and operation efficiency.
could you please elaborate on this...

But the BIAL management and partners has good and long experience in running successfully major aviation hub like Zurich.
doesn't HIAL's Malasian partner equally experienced...

In recent days if you have noticed the to be airport oeprator has gone through meticulous selction of the service partners.
I thought, HIAL has been doing a similar exercise ...

Regarding transition of services from old HAL airport to new airport, this will be done through operation & readiness and airport transfer (ORAT) consultants. For BIAL this will be done by its one of the promoter, Siemens. Siemens has vast experience in ORAT has successfully executed sevral transfers.
does it mean HIAL's consultant doesn't have enough experience in such operation...

If the cut of time is april 2, 2008 00.00 hrs, then you can expect confusion interms which airport to check in and where to go. Defently there is large responsibility on both the airport operator and airlines to ensure operations are smooth.
isn't it true with most other airports which underwent a similar transition...
honestly, I did not understand how you justify your conclusion in the first statement(s).
Would like to learn more...

101 - 120 of 3512 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.