SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
28,675 Posts
RafflesCity said:
Zaki has messaged me asking for a Bangladesh forum.

What are your guys views on creating one?
Who is Zaki?

The only person who makes lots of posts is Tmac.

I don't have a problem as long as Tmac can keep it going.

Sri Lankans have been asking for a forum for some time.

As long as there is no political slang match - Bangladesh - Pakistan, Bangladesh - India, Sri Lanka - India, Khaleda - Hasina, Sinhala - Tamil, Bihari - Bangladeshi, I don't have a problem.

Shouldn't we ask Bangladeshi members also?

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok...are the Bangladesh threads peaceful at the moment?

It is great that Tmac is actively involved in keeping the Bangladeshi threads alive, but I hope he isnt the only active one there! :)

·
Musharraf Ka Danda!
10,199 Posts
Pakistanis dont really care about Bengladesh so I doubt rivalries will occur unless Bengladeshis make sensitive comments in the Pakistan section. But I still think they need a couple more active forumers instead of just one person. Sri Lanka would be a problematic section thanks to thier own political problems.

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
What are the numbers of the forumers from Sri Lanka and Bangladesh that are active? We need to consider that

·
Musharraf Ka Danda!
10,199 Posts
UnitedPakistan said:
Pakistanis dont really care about Bengladesh so I doubt rivalries will occur unless Bengladeshis make sensitive comments in the Pakistan section. But I still think they need a couple more active forumers instead of just one person. Sri Lanka would be a problematic section thanks to thier own political problems.
Wow was I wrong in this one but as long as we put a comptent mod in right away we should not have problems. :)

I think it is their turn for a section...

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
renell said:
What are the numbers of the forumers from Sri Lanka and Bangladesh that are active? We need to consider that
good point...we shouldnt have forums just for the sake of having one.

But we can always consider...

·
Musharraf Ka Danda!
10,199 Posts
Well in that thread that needed to be yanged it seemed like they were quite a lot of Bengalis.

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Suncity said:
Sri Lankans have been asking for a forum for some time.

As long as there is no political slang match - Bangladesh - Pakistan, Bangladesh - India, Sri Lanka - India, Khaleda - Hasina, Sinhala - Tamil, Bihari - Bangladeshi, I don't have a problem.
I've had a look at the main Asian sections, and I see a lot of Sri Lankan threads.

Do you think a Sri Lanka forum is feasible or will it cause too much trouble here?

·
Musharraf Ka Danda!
10,199 Posts
I personally think that section is going to have a lot of problems considering we have members from the opposition group against the government of sri lanka.

·
Hola
12,619 Posts
^ I agree to that, we already have confrontations within the India and Pakistan forums, having a Bangladesh and/or Sri Lankan one would be adding fuel to fire ..

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
I am the Canadian Mod, and first of all I would like to apologize for interupting this thread. Please do not feel that I am intruding on the Asian Mods private forum.I myself am a Sri Lankan and since this issue concerns me I would like to give in my thoughts.

I think a need for a Sri Lankan forum speaks for itself. There are enough members to suport one, and we can see there is enough activity to start one aswell.

I think its very unfair to use the political situations currently in Sri Lanka as a reason not to grant her a forum... and I speak from experience. The forum that I give my most attension is the Quebec forum, which has the same political problem as Sri Lankan (without the war). If you are not aware of it, in brief, Quebecs wants to seperate from Canada, and the forumers of Quebec are divided on this issue.

Ofcourse if there is a thread on seperatism, it gets out of hand in a matter of minutes, which I agree will happen with Sri Lankan Political threads aswell. So we have simply banned all political threads in the Quebec Forum. After all this is a forum about architecture, and contruction. Our forum has been functioning fine.

If you really feel that the political situation in Sri Lankan is enough reasons not to grant a forum, the least you guys can do is grant it for a while and put a test to see how its goes, and if it turns out good.. then go for it and let the forum stay. If it is problematic, we can look for possible solution and if the best option is to close the forum down, then you should.

·
28,675 Posts
Maybe it's time we had subforums for SriLanka and Bangladesh under south Asia.

New subforums will hopefully attract more forumers.

Ashok/Fusionist (assuming he is Sri Lankan too) can probably become mods for Sri Lankan section for the time being.

Tmac should be okay for Bangladesh section.

I think we should ask the forumers themselves as to what they think about getting new subforums.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
yes, Fusionist is Sri Lankan.

I would be happy to assist modding if there is to be a Sri Lankan forum.

So what do the other mods think ? should we go ahead with a Sri Lankan forum ?

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the political stuff is relevant because we fear that it could lead to problems down the line.

And in the first place, such heated topics are not encouraged or even not allowed here.

Before we go about creating the forum we need to identify a committed moderator who is willing to actively moderate the new forum(s) with a view to quickly and decisively removing problematic threads, handling trolls and being unbiased.

If we can find someone, then that will really allay the fears of a Sri Lankan forum.

How active are the non-political Sri Lankan threads?

That should be the criteria to create a new forum (and expand SSC).

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
In terms of a committed moderator I think Fusionist will be a great Mod. He does not have a strong view in the Sri lankan war, and will be unbaised when dealing with problematic issues/formers. I will be more then happy to give Fusionist a hand modding the Sri Lankan forum if there is to be one.

The Sri Lankan forum itself should follow a similar format as the Quebec forum. Both Quebec and Sri Lanka has the same political problem, and in the Quebec forum we have forumers that are seperatist and Anglophones. We do not allow any political threads and there seems to be no problem at all with the forumers. I think if Sri Lankan forum follows this model of Modding, we too will have low risk in running into problems.

We have many non-political Sri Lankan threads in the Urban Section in the Asian Forum. We also have the members. So I think if all the others mods can give an okay for the forum, we should get on in ASAP.

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ashok said:
We do not allow any political threads and there seems to be no problem at all with the forumers. I think if Sri Lankan forum follows this model of Modding, we too will have low risk in running into problems.
That sounds more feasible.

How often are you and/or Fusionist around?

and yes it could be good if others gave their opinions.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
RafflesCity said:
That sounds more feasible.

How often are you and/or Fusionist around?

and yes it could be good if others gave their opinions.
whose opinion do you want ? Sri Lankans on the forum or other mods ?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts