SkyscraperCity banner

Which city is the banking capital of Latin America?

• Sao Paulo

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • Buenos Aires

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Caracas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Panama City

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Santiago de Chile

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Mexico City

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • Bogota

• Montevideo

• Lima

• Other (specify in reply)

Votes: 3 5.2%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Eat your fudge!
1,918 Posts
santiago de chile is the best for bussines stuff because of its stable economy. i dont know about banking though

·
Banned
5,987 Posts
difficult question. I would say there is none, but there are three major regional ones, Buenos Aires, Mexico City, and Sao Paolo.

·
A decade and counting
901 Posts
In Mexico I would say between Mexico City and Monterrey. Reason I say Monterrey for Mexico is because headquaters of BanNorte, Mexico's only 100% mexican bank. All the others pare partiallty owned by foreign investors. The rest of the banks are obviously headquatered in Mexico City. Of course this is only for Mexico. And mexico City is obviously larger on the latin american scale. I say it would be between Santiago, Sao Paulo, and Mexico City. However I believe Panama City has been coming up pretty strong too.

·
Registered
meow
9,964 Posts
Having the biggest banks in Latin America and one of the best Banking systems in the world, I think Sao Paulo would be the most reasonable choice. Santiago and Mexico City coming 2nd not too far behind.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Sao Paulo for its economic activity.

However, Panama City is the place with the most banking companies in Latin America. If there is a bank (American, Latinamerican, European, whatever) that can't be found in Panama City, most probably it can't be found in any other latinamerican city either.

·
"Hands of Stone"
3,633 Posts
I know nothing on this topic about other cities, but I do know (by being there) that Panama City is the Switzerland of the west(ern hemisphere) with over 120 foreign banks. I don't know if that, in and of itself, makes it the banking (finance and commercial) capital of Latin America, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say it has to be within the top four.

·
Registered
799 Posts
For banks to be considered banks they need to actually lend, not trade government securities back and forth making millions on account of their own country.

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
I think Panama City is the banking capital of Latin America...

Sao Paulo is the Stock Exchange Capital of Latin America....

Panama City, has almost all the banks that exists in the world....

Is considered an important place for banks, as Switzerland is considered in Europe!

:cheers:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Having worked in investment banking and having dealt with Latin American companies, you've really gotta go with Sao Paulo.

·
The Big Easy Forever
362 Posts
san juan

·
"Hands of Stone"
3,633 Posts
brooklynprospect said:
How about Miami?
Is the above a vailed reference to what's known as "little Havana," or even a more clever attempt at silliness?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.