SkyscraperCity banner

281 - 300 of 537 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/...station-now-likely-wont-open-until-next-year/

I wonder if the same thing will happen to Milpitas & Berryessa BART in terms of the lag time from the original opening projections.
i remember reading somewhere that the tunnel under lake elizabeth is leaking, i have no confirmation of this though. but if that's really the reason for the delayed opening, then it shouldn't affect the scc extension. don't be surprised if it's delayed for other reasons though.

·
Politically Incorrect
1,532 Posts
^^ :lol: We could hope they meant this winter which starts next week on Dic 21nd/2016 and ends on March 20th/2017.
But I'm sure the mean the next winter at the end of 2017.

·
Super Moderator
21,523 Posts
^^ Winter 2017 would actually be more like Winter 2016-17 since most of Winter happens the following year. So fingers crossed.

·
Registered
279 Posts
BART has been promising an extension. Where is it?

BART has been promising an extension. Where is it?

It’s going to be at least three more months — and possibly longer — before the long-overdue BART extension to Warm Springs in south Fremont is up and running.

“I wish I could say that I had a crystal ball and could guarantee when we will be done, but I don’t,” said project spokeswoman Molly McArthur.

The 5.4-mile extension south from the Fremont Station has been snakebit of late. A lack of funding pushed the opening date for the $890 million extension back to late 2015. Then there was talk it would be open in time for this past November’s election, when voters in three counties were deciding on a big BART bond measure. The measure passed. Still no trains.

Construction began eight long years ago and was proceeding nicely until crews stumbled onto a big problem — BART’s aging power lines, needed to give the line juice, were crumbling.
Full article:
http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/BART-has-been-promising-an-extension-Where-is-it-10864028.php

·
Super Moderator
21,523 Posts
^^ Now it's becoming more like, when will Warm Springs ever open? Fremont is doing fine still, but with that extension being delayed, it seems that it could affect the opening date/s for Milpitas and Berryessa stations further down the line.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
^^ Now it's becoming more like, when will Warm Springs ever open? Fremont is doing fine still, but with that extension being delayed, it seems that it could affect the opening date/s for Milpitas and Berryessa stations further down the line.
Yeah, at this point the article is hinting that it will be past April for Warm Springs to open. VTA was supposedly saying November for Berryessa extension, more delays and it would seem like Berryessa can't open until later. As the track section is necessary for the trains to get from San Jose to Fremont or beyond.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
the twin bore vs. single bore option is going to come down to feasibility. the single bore is a better option, but will have to be dug deeper than the twin bore. with the high water table, this could generate significant construction delays that result in ballooning cost for the project. i'd rather not be reading about another tunneling machine stuck in the mud under san jose a year into the project. hopefully the engineers can find a solution to the water that will work along the whole route.

i'm not sure why station options are even being discussed. there are clear advantages to both the north diridon and west downtown stations. if VTA really wants people to transfer from light rail to bart and vise versa, they will choose those options. the west downtown station at the mitchell block will also significantly increase the land value for resale after construction is finished. that block alone could support north of 20K jobs if it's built out to full potential.
It seems to me that the South Diridon option actually facilitates faster transfers from BART to Caltrain or BART to VTA since the entrances and exits are closer. I think though they should allow people to transfer to Caltrain without coming out to the surface.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
It seems to me that the South Diridon option actually facilitates faster transfers from BART to Caltrain or BART to VTA since the entrances and exits are closer. I think though they should allow people to transfer to Caltrain without coming out to the surface.
the west entrance on the south diridon option surfaces directly through the existing light rail tunnel under the bus transit center. that structure isn't shown on any of the SEIR's hillrise linked to in the previous post, and i don't remember it being mentioned in any of the other planning docs i've seen. did vta forget the tunnel is there? i can't imagine re-routing the existing tunnel is an option. the only southern option that doesn't disturb the current tunnel is a single bore with a pedestrian tunnel at the western entrance moved further north or south. if they moved it south, that direct connection to the caltrain tunnel becomes an option....about 40' above the bart platform.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
the west entrance on the south diridon option surfaces directly through the existing light rail tunnel under the bus transit center. that structure isn't shown on any of the SEIR's hillrise linked to in the previous post, and i don't remember it being mentioned in any of the other planning docs i've seen. did vta forget the tunnel is there? i can't imagine re-routing the existing tunnel is an option. the only southern option that doesn't disturb the current tunnel is a single bore with a pedestrian tunnel at the western entrance moved further north or south. if they moved it south, that direct connection to the caltrain tunnel becomes an option....about 40' above the bart platform.
Do you have a map for this, because the satellite imagery from 14 years ago suggests otherwise.

http://i.imgur.com/6hJ2OIM.png
http://i.imgur.com/BHV90Vy.png

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Do you have a map for this, because the satellite imagery from 14 years ago suggests otherwise.

http://i.imgur.com/6hJ2OIM.png
http://i.imgur.com/BHV90Vy.png
i hadn't seen the map from 14 years ago, but overlay those images and they prove my point, the existing tunnel is in direct conflict with the south diridon west entrance point. that whole purple area in the first link will be excavated, not just the tiny area where the escalators penetrate the surface.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
BART has plenty of staffers at station with no trains or riders

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...y-of-staffers-at-station-with-no-10926575.php

BART has plenty of staffers at station with no trains or riders
For the past five months, BART has been staffing its yet-to-open Warm Springs Station full time with five $73,609-a-year station agents and an $89,806-a-year train dispatch supervisor — even though no trains will be running there for at least another two months.

Two janitors are also assigned to the empty station. But because it’s pretty clean — what with nobody using it — the custodians typically clock in, then commute in a BART sedan to other stations along the line to finish out their shifts.

It’s the latest twist in the saga of Warm Springs, the station at the southern end of a 5.4-mile extension in Fremont that has been delayed for years by financing and construction issues.

Last year, BART thought it was in the home stretch and penciled in the line to open in November 2016.

·
Super Moderator
21,523 Posts
As far as I can tell, there still isn't very much development around it. If there is, I'd like to see it! :cheers:
I posted it on a different thread...

Read here for more details

On the same thread, I also posted pics of the new BART trains. Feel free to share your comments on them here. :yes:

281 - 300 of 537 Posts