SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Brett don't text me
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone post some pictures of wrigley field (cubs) and us cellular 1 field (sox) in relation to its location in chicago. I know sox play on the south side and the cubs play on the north side. I would just like to see some pictures of these areas.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Whitesox play 35 blocks south of Madison St. (Loop)

Cubs play about 35 blocks north of Madison St. (Loop)

·
Rockford, IL
55 Posts
Baseball season!!!
Minneapolis- I am not a Chicagoan, and I dont have any pictures, other than the postcards I have collected from the stadium gift shops. I will tell you this much, of my many trips to Chicago I make every summer, which usually includes around 5-10 trips specifically for a Sox game, and my 1 token Cubs game. Pictures will most definately not do you justice. I would highly recommend experiencing the parks. IMHO, Wrigley and "I still call it Comiskey" The Cell, are polar opposites. I think Wrigley is fabulous, and if you like beer and the bar scene, a trip to Wrigleyville becomes an "event" and not just a "baseball game" Wrigley is set in a mostly residential neighborhood. Comiskey is set in a sea of parking lots next to a rail yard and used to also be surrounded by public housing highrises. Used to be a dismal neighborhood. My loyalty obviously falls towards the Sox, I have been a fan since the days of Kittle and Luzinski (sp) and I love that ball park too. Now I dont honestly know of anything to do in the neighborhood around Comiskey, as I take the red line from downtown.... always, get in, get out asap. The Chicago forumers could tell you much more about the neighborhood around the park (Bridgeport) It is undergoing transformation faster then you can believe, and maybe in the next 5-10 years if it keeps up, will draw large walk-up crowds just like the "Wrigleyville" does. As a Sox fan, on one hand, I think that would be fabulous, but on the other, I wouldnt like Comiskey being a Wrigleyville II wanna-be, full of preppy abercrombie and fitch wearing kids just out for a party. I like the fact that there are two completely different crowds at both stadiums. Variety is the spice of life. Now before everybody jumps my case about my stereotyping thinking I have some sort of grudge against the Cubs, I dont.... I grew up watching the Cubbies on TV, Channel 9, yes even in Rockford, gotta love the killer D's (Dawson, Dunston, and Davis) Ryno, Grace, and the late great Harry. Back then, we only got Sox games on AM radio in Rockford, I believe it was WMAQ 670. It wasnt untill Sportsvision came along on Cable in the early 90's the Sox games were finally made available to us on TV. Which explains why there are so few Sox fans out here.

Annual baseball trip with my friends this fall...
Saturday 9-24-05 Cubs/Astros 1:20, Sox/Twins 6:05, If you can shake loose, its the only weekend day all summer that both teams are at home and play at different times. Its a good time watching 2 baseball games in one day.

·
Registered
469 Posts
^ The two parks are essentially equidistant from the loop (if we call Madison the center of the loop). I'm surprised you think Comiskey looks closer to downtown. Most people I encounter feel like Wrigley Field looks closer. The reason it seems like Wrigley field is closer to downtown is because the area between Wrigley Field and downtown is more heavily developed than the area between Comiskey Park and downtown. In fact, Wrigley Field is much closer to the River North and Gold Coast areas of Chicago's Near North Side. While certainly outside of Chicago's CBD, these neighborhoods are now part of what most people consider to be downtown.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
Minneapolis612 said:
Is is just me or does Comisky park a lot closer to downtown than wrigley?

it's just you. comiskular is closer to downtown than wrigley, but it is not a lot closer.

comiskular is ~3500 south and ~300 west

wrigley is ~3600 north and ~1000 west

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
JB_Gold Coast said:
^ The two parks are essentially equidistant from the loop (if we call Madison the center of the loop). I'm surprised you think Comiskey looks closer to downtown. Most people I encounter feel like Wrigley Field looks closer. The reason it seems like Wrigley field is closer to downtown is because the area between Wrigley Field and downtown is more heavily developed than the area between Comiskey Park and downtown. In fact, Wrigley Field is much closer to the River North and Gold Coast areas of Chicago's Near North Side. While certainly outside of Chicago's CBD, these neighborhoods are now part of what most people consider to be downtown.
JB, the distance is somewhat the same, particularly north/side distance (3600 N/Addison, and 3500 S/35th), but Sox Park is more due south of downtown (and thus closer) than Wrigley, which is actually northwest of downtown

·
Registered
469 Posts
edsg25 said:
JB, the distance is somewhat the same, particularly north/side distance (3600 N/Addison, and 3500 S/35th), but Sox Park is more due south of downtown (and thus closer) than Wrigley, which is actually northwest of downtown
That's what I meant when I said the two parks are "essentially equidistant."

:cheers:

·
Registered
469 Posts
^ You can see pieces of the downtown skyline from the Wrigley Field bleachers. If you are not sitting in the bleachers, you will be looking at the Lakeview Skyline (sitting in left field) or up to the Edgwater Skyline (sitting in right field).

·
Registered
478 Posts
From the very back of the upper deck at Wrigley you can look through the fence and see the downtown skyline fairly clearly. I haven't been to the Cell recently (like my safety ;) - cheap shot at Sox fans), but I'm not sure you can see the skyline from that ballpark.

It's strange, even though I know Comiskular is on 35th street and Wrigley is at 3600 N, I never realized how equidistant they are N-S wise

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
DeMaFrost said:
From the very back of the upper deck at Wrigley you can look through the fence and see the downtown skyline fairly clearly. I haven't been to the Cell recently (like my safety ;) - cheap shot at Sox fans), but I'm not sure you can see the skyline from that ballpark.

It's strange, even though I know Comiskular is on 35th street and Wrigley is at 3600 N, I never realized how equidistant they are N-S wise
Sox Park is like Wrigley in its views of downtown (looking away from the field). That, of course, made all the sense of in the world for the Cubs. Wrigley was positioned the correct way: facing north (to avoid direct sun on the field from a southern exposure) and facing east (since day games start in the afternoon, when the sun is in the west).

the Old Comiskey had a similiar orientation. With the new stadium being built while the old one was still in operation, the decision was made to keep the new park's main entrances on 35th Street. This necessitated a south and east orientation (as opposed to Wrigley and Old Comiskey's south and east).

The result: a fabulous view of the downtown skyline was lost forever and, for years until teardown, the new Comiskey view was of the Taylor Homes.

In some ways, I think the lack of incorporation of the view was as big an issue as having a ball park built right before Camden Yards brought in a new era. IMHO, the symmetry of Comiskey doesn't bother me (just as Wrigley manages relative symmetry and come off as just as good...if not better...than quirky Fenway).

Ultimately, if Bridgeport becomes "Comsikeyville" (not "Cellville!!!") and offers some of the ammenities around the park that Wrigley does, this might be a great site for baseball (if not sight!). The Cell may actually have an advantage that Camden Yards and the other retro-clones don't have: a neighborhood setting like Wrigley, not a downtown one.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Michigan Avenue said:
I'm going to be there for the cross town classic on the 20th!!! :banana2:
Same here, was one of the lucky ones that got a good wristband and good seats to the key series of the year (including White Sox, Red Sox, Cardinals)

·
Registered
229 Posts
All this bull shit about wrigley and comiskey being equidistant from Madison is not true. Though comiskey is 3500 S and Wrigley is 3600 N, it is a commonly misunderstood that on the southside from 1-2200 (or Cermak) south i believe 8 blocks does not equal a mile. Think about it, Rooselvelt is 1200 S. but also one mile south of Madison, Cermak is 2200 S, but only 2 miles south of madison, 31st street is 3100 south but only 3 miles. Soooo Comiskey is 3 1/2 miles south! Exacly why the streets don't follow the standard 8 blocks to mile ratio in chicago is a mystery to me. Anyways Wrigley being on the northside is 3600 north and can be divided by 8 to equal 4 1/2 miles. So they really aren't the same distance away from madison. BUT, if we were to observe them as being equidistant from downton, then yes they are about the same distance apart because downtown covers more blocks north of Madison than south.

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
I've always noticed that numbers go up more quickly from Congress to Cermack. At least now I know it's not me. In fact doesn't it at one point just jump from 9th St. to 11th St.? Just wondering.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts