Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39056 Posts

·
T R A F F I C ! ! !
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LIPA AT A GLANCE

The Birthplace of the Coffee Industry

According to the BPI records, coffee was first brought to the Philippines from Mexico by a Franciscan Friar and planted in the Town of Lipa. That was in 1740.

The records of the Franciscan Order, however, mention 1814 as the year when two Augustinian priests initiated the cultivation of coffee in the Philippines. The first seeds were planted in Lipa. This was followed by the cultivation of the crop in neighboring municipalities.

The two records agree on one point, that the first coffee plants in the Philippines were cultivated in Lipa.

Heir to a Glorious Past

Under the leadership of Don Galo de los Reyes, coffee production was enforced in Lipa. By the middle of the 1880s, it was producing bountiful harvests. Thus, when a plague destroyed coffee plantations in Brazil and other coffee producing countries, the town supplied the needs of the coffee drinking world. The municipality became the world center of coffee trade.

The richest in the Philippines, Lipa had mansions which were furnished with the best from Europe. The children of the wealthy landowners studied abroad.

Because of Lipa’s wealth and grandeur, it was elevated into Villa de Lipa on 21 October 1887 by Queen Maria Cristina of Spain. In December 1887, it was authorized to use a coat of arms.

The Spawning Ground of Great Men

Lipa produced great men during the Spanish revolt, when the country fought against American rule and in the years that followed. Artists and great men of letters also came from Lipa.

Among those who were born in Lipa are the following; Claro M. Recto, Teodoro M. Kalaw, Maria Kalaw Katigbak, Maximo Kalaw, Lauro Dimayuga, Fidel Reyes, Arsenio Luz and many others.

The most Rev. Alfredo Maria Obviar, whose beatification is being pushed by Catholics everywhere was also born in Lipa.

A City Which is Truly Special

With its elevation of 1,025 feet above sea level, Lipa enjoys a beautiful climate which is sometimes very cold in the wintry months. The heat is never too harsh even in the sizzling summer months. Nestled between two mountains ranges Mt. Malarayat and Mt. Makulot, Lipa is seldom battered by violent storms. Very often, a typhoon has already been tempered by the surrounding mountains when it reaches the area.

·
T R A F F I C ! ! !
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MORE ON LIPA CITY:

Lipa City is quite unique in terms of its geographic location. It is approximately in the center of the country from Batanes to Sulu and from its eastern periphery of Surigao Province to the western international boundary of Palawan. The city is in the center of Region IV right in the heart of Batangas Province.

She is bounded by the Municipality of Sto. Tomas in the North- east, San Pablo City and the municipality of San Antonio, Quezon Province in the East. Municipalities of Padre Garcia and Rosario in the Southeast , Ibaan and San Jose in the Southwest, Municipalities of Cuenca and Mataas na Kahoy and the Taal Lake in the West and the Municipalities of Balete and Malvar in the Northwest. Thus, it may be positively stated that all roads lead to Lipa.

Her domain comprises a total land area of 20,940 hectares. Lipa's nautical location shows her at a longitude of 13 degrees 56 minutes north and a latitude of 121 degrees 10 minutes east on the globe.

Apart from this, another good factor on the city's geographic characteristics is its proximity to the country's capital, Manila, having an approximate distance of 86 kms., or this is only about one and a half (1 1/2) hours drive by car through the South Expressway.

In view of its unique geographic location, Lipa City has a great advantage for future development, an ideal hub and center of the CALABARZON Industrial Region.Land Area

The total land area of Lipa City is 24,765.93 hectares.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Topography

Lipa City's topography is irregular with a rolling plateau of generally slight gradiants and undulating with higher gradiants in the eastern and western fringes or mountains and lake boundaries and creek embankments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elevation

Lipa City is virtually sitting majestically atop of a mountain with an elevation of 1,025 ft. above sea level.

Climate

The climate of Lipa City belongs to the first type characterized by two pronounced seasons; wet and dry. Rain period starts from June to October with heavy rains occurring during the months of July and October. Dry seasons starts from the month of January to the last of May, where March is recorded the hottest period. There are seven (7)months of wet seasons and five (5) months of dry season.

Due to the city's favorable elevation of 1,025 feet above sea level, Lipa is generally cool and enjoys an invigorating climate through- out the year except on several occasions when typhoons occur and during the summer season. Typhoon occurrence is not frequent. An average of two (2) typhoons normally are expected to occur during the months from July to September. To date, the heaviest typhoon recorded that have affected not only the city but the other major parts of the country as well, occurred sometime in November 1995, which was named Rosing.

·
Federer Express!!!
716 Posts
wow! this is one of my most favorite places... kaso biased. Batangueña kc ako. :D @gridloc, try to post the u/c of SM City Lipa.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i spent my university summer and sem breaks in lipa because i had lots of batangueno/a friends who originally came from there. i had a hs classmate too who studied at fernando air base. i used to stay at mataas na kahoy, latag ( I attended retreats there too), catalina village. i have not gone back since college.

Photos po sana. I am overseas so I miss the country terribly.

·
T R A F F I C ! ! !
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mhe-ann said:
wow! this is one of my most favorite places... kaso biased. Batangueña kc ako. :D @gridloc, try to post the u/c of SM City Lipa.
Sure. by the way from where in Batangas are you from?

Taken 071806, updates of SM Lipa:

·
T R A F F I C ! ! !
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
surfsam said:
i spent my university summer and sem breaks in lipa because i had lots of batangueno/a friends who originally came from there. i had a hs classmate too who studied at fernando air base. i used to stay at mataas na kahoy, latag ( I attended retreats there too), catalina village. i have not gone back since college.

Photos po sana. I am overseas so I miss the country terribly.
Surfsam sure, if time permits I would post as much pictures of Lipa and its environs. This place is teeming with economic activities. A good indication is having a Robinsons mall and the upcoming SM mall.

·
Banned
8,427 Posts
hehehe parang kuha nung 70's pa

·
The Great Northwest
5,406 Posts

Maganda nga at malinis ang Lipa, my wife and I spend a day there in 2001 before I visited my ninong in Batangas City.

·
Federer Express!!!
716 Posts
@gridloc, saan ka pala sa lipa? sa maraouy ba?

·
Federer Express!!!
716 Posts
wala lan, mga classmates ko kc, taga-marauoy. anyway, I like lipa city hall. wall to wall carpet kc.

1 - 20 of 39056 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.