SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Son of the cedars
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BATROUN

(50 km from Beirut) - Ancient Remains and Old Churches

Batroun, on the coast south of Tripoli, was known as "Batruna" in the famous Tell al Amarna letters of the 14th century B.C., although its history goes back even further. The town was called "Botrys" in Greco-Roman times and during the Crusader era it was a seigniory dependent on the County of Tripoli.

Batroun's fishing port, undoubtedly of great antiquity, still supplies local markets with fresh fish. The city's sights can be best appreciated by heading on foot through the old part of town. On your way look for remains of the crusader castle within the walls of the 13th century souks and traditional houses.

Along the sea front starting from the north end of town you will find the century-old Maronite cathedral of St. Stephan (Mar Stefan), the beautiful 13th century Greek Orthodox Church of St. George and the tiny chapel known as "Sadiyat al-Bahr," or Our Lady of the Sea. This simple white washed building has a wide verandah overlooking the sea and an excellent view of Batroun's sea wall, which is what remains of a huge quarry famous in Hellenistic and Roman times.

Batroun also has a rock-cut Roman theater. Today it sits in a private garden, but your visit is welcome. Compare the motifs carved on the arch of a doorway near the theater with those over the door of the church of Saint George . These were made by the same hand that decorated the tombs near the Mar Estephan church in the neighboring village of Wajh al-Hajar.

If you Have Time ...

Musaylha Castle (6 km from Batroun)
The fortress was built by Fakhreddine II in 1624 to guard the route from Tripoli to Beirut. You enter the diamond shaped castle by a narrow path and rock-cut steps. The door, which is protected by a machicolated window, opens onto a triangular courtyard that leads to the different parts of the castle.

The phoenician wall

St. estephan church.

Water sports:

Musaylha castle:

·
Registered
74 Posts
It is a very nice small fort, too bad the quarry just next to it almost threatened its foundations (and ruined the scenery)...they should find a way to fix the enviromental deformations that were caused by all these quarries in the 80s-90s, they have turned some of Lebanon's most beautiful locations into ugly gaping holes.

·
Fairouzy
7,872 Posts
Looks like an old Scottish coastline with mideval churches! Very beautiful. My friend is actually from Batroun!

·
Melburnian
2,375 Posts
hey dose anyone have any pics of the town center and stuff they have a lot of bars clubs and resturants its mad there pple from Beirut r coming down to batourn cos its so good it has great nightlife

·
Son of the cedars
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes,batroun is the capital of nightlife in north lebanon.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i never been to batroun fro nightlife. but i visit it once in the day time.. we went walking everywhere..there were so many clubs in the downtown area. also they have a lot of restarants..and the prices were so cheap ..but the service and quality was really good

·
Melburnian
2,375 Posts
its really nice there and i was looking thought a magazine my unlce got from there lasy year how battoun getting a face lift its 2 bad they dont have good beachs

·
Son of the cedars
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok,now a little about nightlife in Batroun.

NIGHTLIFE.

BANK nightclub.

·
Son of the cedars
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Batroun is really unique.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts