SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
Which skyline do you think is the best in Australia and why, remember also the surrounding suburbs not just the main cbd.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Depends really, each skyline is different from certain angles. I would probably say Sydney has the best skyline due to the fact that you have the Bridge, Opera House then the continuation into the CBD with GPT, Chiefly, Auroura, Philip St, but equally i have seen some amazing shots of Melbourne and Perth, esp those from far off.

Just check out these from Hacksaw - fantastic!

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=190618

·
Registered
297 Posts
Although I am from Melbourne, I have to say that Sydneys skyline is the most impressive right now. There is just so much density, there are almost no gaps in the skyline, and it stretches for 3kms from one end to another. There is also good variety in the architecture, which is always a bonus, and something that GC is finally starting to get it's head around. ;)

However, after the current construction boom finishes in Melbourne and all the 500fters are finished, dare I say Sydney will have a mighty fight on it's hand to keep the title of the premier Aussie skyline.

·
Watch my Chops
6,010 Posts
Sydney
Perth
Melb

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've always considered Sydney's skyline to be the best in the country. Chatswood, St. Leonards, North Sydney, the Harbour Bridge (and harbour, for that matter), then the CBD itself. Amazing.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm not saying it's the best but I've always loved Perth's skyline for its size. I hope they're smart with Swan Panorama and come up with some nice towers that actually fit into the skyline.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,855 Posts
If you include the suburbs then I would say it would be crazy to say melbourne is anywhere near Sydney.

Melbourne is only now embracing highrise suburban CBDs, Sydney already has several and the number is continually growing. Chatswood and Parramatta alone have better CBDs than some of Australia's state capitals.

·
Registered
35 Posts
it's gotta be melbourne doesn't it? i know that i'm incredibly biased but sydneys buildings don't particulairly stand out at all and don't really have a focal point...

p.s in my humble opinion, the sydney tower or AMP tower (a.k.a the golden monstrosity) is incredibly ugly!

·
Registered
297 Posts
B-Town said:
it's gotta be melbourne doesn't it? i know that i'm incredibly biased but sydneys buildings don't particulairly stand out at all and don't really have a focal point...

p.s in my humble opinion, the sydney tower or AMP tower (a.k.a the golden monstrosity) is incredibly ugly!
To be fair, Melbourne (until E is finished) doesn't really have a focal point either. Yes people will say R, but really, it doesn't particularly stand out in the skyline. I'm sure it's location on the edge of the CBD and the fact that it's located in a dip in Collins St, and hence making it look 'shorter' to the naked eye, doesn't help it's cause. In fact, 120C is almost as tall to roof above sea level as R! (I think something like 245m?) And it's spire reaches 290m above sea level, as opposed to R's 253m. To the average joe, R is just 'another tall building' along with your BPs and MCs and 120Cs and 101Cs...

Sydney Tower is undoutably the focal point in Sydney's CBD. It's located centrally and is clearly the tallest structure in town. Aesthetics of the tower aside (I personally think it's OK, nothing special though) it does stand out as it's gold turret is ~50m higher than the tallest scrapers around it.

·
Registered
74,632 Posts
Sydney has a great skyline with many skylines surrounding it also! thats something other oz cities dont have.
GC has a fine skyline and now stretching many kms!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
In my view Sydney easily takes it. It is large, dense and has some great buildings.

Then Melb, Bris, GC, Perth, Adelaide. The middle a pretty close....

·
Its a sleepy little town
3,883 Posts
I suppose Brisbane has Kangaroo Point and part of new farm. (i noticed how large KP looked form the citycat going to New Farm yesterday.. And New farm has some medium sized buildings along the river)

And soon to have a skyline at Bretts Wharf/Gateway/whatever

But you really cant compete with Sydney in suburban skylines (in australia at least)

·
Registered
636 Posts
I like the definition in Melbourne's CBD along with the established St Kilda & emerging Docklands zones. I do like that Sydney has a greater suburban pressence challenging its core though. However, as far as city skyline's go, one of Melbourne's great strengths is it doesn't suffer a bad case of 'the klumps.' This results when skylines get so dense in one area, all around a similar height, they loose any sense of form, shape or pattern. Last thing you want is a skyline that screams 'anywhere' with no real distinction or iconic quality. If your skyline becomes a glorified blob with no shape - well, you might as well call your city Ottawa and call it a day.

Melbourne's CBD is interesting in that its really three, soon to be four seperate skylines - and thats just north of the Yarra. St Kilda Road, though not known for the super talls is a nice long stretch of uniform buildings contrasting with the downtown's variances. The only thing I'm not so sure about is how Melbourne's skyline has been evened out by Eureka. I'm so used to it being off kilter like Chicago. The Rialto, like the Sears Tower sort of screamed out I'm the biggie bitch and I stand alone!! LOL Now you've got Eureka in the centre and the views of Melbourne from Port Phillip Bay not quite what I'm used too since the 80's. Even before Rialto, Collins Place offset things to the east. Melbourne's always been an 'unstable old girl' and now she seems so centred. Its weird cause I'm not used to it I guess.

Now if only Dandenong could aspire to become the new Adelaide or Paramatta. Hopefully in the next decade, bogans will take to high rise condo living and drinking latte's at sidewalk cafe's with actual people walking by! God forbid they might even discover "The Met" and loose their cars. LOL All those empty parking lots will make nice 20 to 30 story buildings. Just imagine the views towards Melbourne. Better still, imagine being up Eureka and seeing something in the distance marked by a sign saying ...oh thats Dandenong. Its trying to be Hobart or something but we call it sleepy hollow. Oh, wait a minute - that's Geelong to the right! Those suburbs just all look the same. Just a bunch of mini sized towering wannabees.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts