1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
^Yeah, especially since there seems to be a steady stream of patrons from both UT and the Channel District frequenting SoHo.

Oh, and can we post a bit more of a lead-in in the first post please? Threads are generally closed when the first post contains no content, and is nothing but a link to some other site.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But other than DT/Ybor, this is really the first area in Tampa that has truly reached its parking limit in a more walkable urban setting. As DT expands, the street car will need to expand to provide people a way of getting around without a car. Maybe instead of light rail for commuters, maybe in Hillsborough, the talk should be focused on extending the street car to areas that need it like North DT and Soho so residents can get around in our urban areas.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Also let this be a lesson for future NIMBYs, density in your neighborhood does not increase traffic, but sprawl does.

I'm sure this will be lost on many in soho and Hyde park.
I don't think they care, so long as their personal parking continues to be subsidized by the rest of the city's taxpayers.

But you're right, increased density means the existing businesses can be supported by the neighborhood. As visitors to the area no longer find room, demand for similar services rises in other parts of the city. The result is pockets of dense, walkable neighborhoods that can be connected by transit.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
On the subject of improved transit for SoHO, as mentioned in the transit threads...

HART has no money...transit referendum required.

Route 4 is currently among the lowest performers on the HART system as it is. I'm sure HART wants to improve Route 4, but there is no financial means to do so right now, and will likely remain so until a referendum passes.

·
Keeping Things Rolling
1,600 Posts
Route 4 is currently among the lowest performers on the HART system as it is. I'm sure HART wants to improve Route 4, but there is no financial means to do so right now, and will likely remain so until a referendum passes.
Even with a referendum, you're looking at late 2022 at the earliest for 30 minute frequency/weekend service on Route 4. There is an infrastructure hole that will take a few years to fill in and higher priority needs around the county that have to be addressed first.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
^^
You're definitely right on that. It will be a long while. And probably by then, Route 4 as it is will probably be replaced by that 7-day-a-week DT/MacDill express that is sitting somewhere on the books. Actually, I can see the 4 being re-alligned to MacDill Ave entirely and (regardless of a referendum) MetroRapid DM will eventually take over for the Britton/MacDill leg of the 4 on weekdays, with a more optimized 36 on Sat/Sun. The local downtown/S Tampa connection can be retained with the 19.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^
You're definitely right on that. It will be a long while. And probably by then, Route 4 as it is will probably be replaced by that 7-day-a-week DT/MacDill express that is sitting somewhere on the books. Actually, I can see the 4 being re-alligned to MacDill Ave entirely and (regardless of a referendum) MetroRapid DM will eventually take over for the Britton/MacDill leg of the 4 on weekdays, with a more optimized 36 on Sat/Sun. The local downtown/S Tampa connection can be retained with the 19.

:picard:

·
Keeping Things Rolling
1,600 Posts
^^
Let me be clear, based on what was laid out in the 2014 HART Transit Development Plan:

Status Quo Plan (this is what HART is going with until something changes):
---------------------------------
FY2016: 30 minute weekend & late night weekday service on Route 36
FY2017: 30 minute weekend service on Route 19

Extended Status Quo Plan (may fall through if funding shortfalls occur):
FY2021: Late night weekday service on Route 10
FY2022: Late night weekday service on Route 4.
FY2023: Saturday service on Route 4, 60 minute frequency.

Vision Plan (on top of Status Quo Plan, requires additional funding, pushed back a year every time funding remains short):
FY2016: 15 minute weekday service on Route 30
FY2017: 30 minute weekday service + weekend service + extension to Rocky Point on Route 10.
FY2017: New route servicing between Brandon, Downtown and MacDill AFB via Selmon Expwy, 20 minute frequency.
FY2019: New route MetroRapid Kennedy, 15 minute frequency.
FY2019: Reduction to 30 minute weekday service on Route 30 (tied to MetroRapid).
FY2020: New circulator route in Westshore, 10 minute frequency.
FY2022: New route MetroRapid Dale Mabry/MacDill AFB, 15 minute frequency.
FY2022: 30 minute weekday service on Route 4.
FY2023: Sunday service on Route 4, 60 minute frequency.

Assuming everything went in, you're looking at:
Route 04: 30 minute service during weekdays, with late night service. 60 minute service on Saturday/Sunday.
Route 10: 30 minute service during weekdays, with late night service. 60 minute service on Saturday/Sunday.
Route 19: 30 minute service every day, with late night service.
Route 30: 30 minute service every day, with midnight service.
Route 36: 30 minute service during weekdays, with late night service. 30 minute service on Saturday/Sunday.
Route XX: 20 minute limited express service along Selmon Expwy during weekdays.
Route XX: 10 minute circulator service during weekdays in Westshore district.
Route 402: 15 minute service during weekdays, on top of Route 30.
Route 405: 15 minute service during weekdays, on top of Route 36.
Route 574: 60 minute flex service in South Tampa during weekdays.

As always, plans will change over time, based on the results of studies, ridership patterns and urban growth.

There is a third "Grand Vision" plan (A.K.A. the "Sharpe Plan") that will make its formal debut in the 2015 TDP, which includes Greenlight-style upgrades to the bus network. Cut the headways listed above in half and add late night/weekend MetroRapid service to get an idea of what I'm talking about on that one. Expect a draft to show up by August, as it has to be approved by municipalities and FDOT for September.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts