SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
76,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Swiss architectural firm of herzog & de meuron have designed a pretty sexy sleek (and narrow) tower for Bay and Bloor:

herzog & de meuron, working alongside local firm quadrangle, has designed a mixed-use 87-storey skyscraper that will rise above toronto’s city center at the intersection of bay street and bloor street. the first 16 floors of the tower will replace the site’s existing retail, office, and technical functions. a private amenities level will separate these programs from the 64 condominium levels above. the building’s three highest floors contain a large restaurant, sky lounge, and other rentable spaces, offering panoramic views across the city. the tower marks herzog & de meuron’s first design in toronto.

read it all here:

·
34,213 Posts
I can almost hear the Jesse Ketchum School parents going ballistic. If that bloody school stands in the way of Toronto's development again I'll lose it. Millions of people live happy fulfilling lives without being perennially bathed in direct sunlight. Shade was certainly in very high demand today.

·
34,213 Posts
You betta work.

On a more serious note, you'd think pressure will mount to a point where calls begin to re-locate that sun obsessed school. Maybe they can build mirrors to angle sunlight down on them so they won't turn into pumpkins.

Btw, the height is 324m.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I really hope this gets built in my lifetime. It reminds me of the skinny super-talls popping up on the New York skyline. They look impossibly tall almost like they could snap in half in high winds.

·
Administrator
76,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last week, Dutch developers Kroonenberg Group and ProWinko made a big splash on the development scene with their proposal to redevelop the narrow property at 1200 Bay, replacing the existing 12-storey mid-century office building with a skinny 87-storey tower that, at 324 metres in height, is the second-tallest tower proposal in the country. Enlisting world-renowned Swiss architects Herzog & de Meuron alongside local firm Quadrangle, the mixed-use development is reminiscent of the ultra-luxury 'pencil towers' populating the Manhattan skyline.

Rendering of 1200 Bay showing adjacent proposed and approved developments, image via submission to the City of Toronto.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I would be terrified to be on the upper floors of a building like that. Just imagine the sway there would be in the wind.

·
34,213 Posts
Once you go higher than floor 18-20 you lose a connection to the ground, the street, pedestrians, etc. Some people like being as high up as possible but I've never liked it. I prefer looking out and seeing other buildings rather than looking down upon them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts