SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Birmingham - #1
R.I.P.
22,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Phase 2 of Birmingham City University's STEAMhouse, restoration and extension of the Former Belmont Works building 1899, sadly gutted by a fire in 2007 as has been empty since.

Images courtesy of architect Aukett Swanke
http://www.aukettswanke.com/projects/BW_ESL

A £60m plan to regenerate part of Birmingham's Eastside into new facilities for businesses, artists and academics has been unveiled.

Housing, communities and local government secretary James Brokenshire has formally announced phase two of Birmingham City University’s STEAMhouse project.

A total of £14m of funding has been provided by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, along with £1m Local Growth Funding from GBSLEP.

It is anticipated STEAMhouse will help create up to 10,000 jobs across the West Midlands region and help support the growth of the Midlands Engine.

The scheme will restore the derelict Belmont Works, originally built in 1899, to its former glory as part of a major overhaul. It also includes transforming a grade A-listed building on Cardigan Street which has stood derelict since being gutted by a fire in 2007 to become STEAMhouse’s permanent home.

This will provide additional facilities and spaces for SMEs, as well as a new home for the university’s School of Computing.

The Victorian Belmont Works factory served as the headquarters for the historic Eccles Rubber and Cycle Company and has since been used to produce linen clothing, bedsteads and pianos.

Its rear façade will be extended to provide upgrades and new spaces, but the building will also retain many of its original features.
https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/midlands/60m-regeneration-plan-revealed-to-help-create-10000-jobs

A previous app for the project was already approved back in 2016, it seems BCU will be basing the project off that app, its worth taking a look through it, although of course I think we'll see a revised app to meet requirements of BCU and the further buildings on site. Looking forwards to this one!

Application Number 2015/07915/PA
Application Type Reserved Matters Development
Site Address Former Belmont Works Cardigan Street Eastside Birmingham B4 7RJ
Proposal Reserved matters application (scale, appearance, layout and landscaping) for proposed part demolition, alterations and extensions to former Belmont Works to provide retail uses (Use Classes A1 to A5) at lower ground floor and ground floor and/or offices (Use Classes B1(a) and B1(b)) on the lower ground floor, ground floor, first floor and second floor with associated courtyard and boundary treatment pursuant to outline application 2009/00308/PA (Plot B)
https://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/Generic/StdDetails.aspx?PT=Planning Applications On-Line&TYPE=PL/PlanningPK.xml&PARAM0=767358&XSLT=/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/SiteFiles/Skins/Birmingham/xslt/PL/PLDetails.xslt&FT=Planning Application Details&PUBLIC=Y&XMLSIDE=/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/SiteFiles/Skins/Birmingham/Menus/PL.xml&DAURI=PLANNING

:cheers:

·
Registered Techno User
519 Posts
I'm a fan of this, I think the work the will be done in this building once restored will be important (If I'm right in thinking it's plan is for combining STEM subjects and art?). Plus it's a great historical building to be preserved

·
culled
19,474 Posts
I am happy to see this getting refurbished and retained, but the new additions bare no resemblance nor character of the original, they're as plain as can be, and not even the same colour. I appreciate that is probably done out of respect for the original building, but I would still rather see it try and recreate the character of the original in the extension. The windows don't even match in mere size.

·
Break
Banned
5,884 Posts
Application Number2018/09421/PA
Application TypeDischarge of Condition (Published to Web)
Site Address8 Cardigan Street Birmingham B4 7BD
ProposalApplication to determine the details for condition numbers 2 (programme of archaeological work) and 4 (methodology and protection of canal) attached to planning approval 2018/04275/PA
ApplicantGoodman
Moving forward this is. We'll soon see Heras fencing go up and archeological works taking place, which will see 8 trenches being dug and installation of a bund, land drain and a catch pit. Basically this lol:
This will be installed parallel to the new highway before any construction on the new highway is undertaken. The temporary land drain will catch any surface water run off during the construction of the new highway. The temporary land drain will be connected into a catch pit before discharging into the existing storm water system in Belmont Row. The bund will be formed with the material excavated from the temporary land drain and installed along the canal side of the land drain, this will further reduce any surface run off to the canal bank. At no time is it envisaged that surface water will discharge into the canal.
Kier are doing it and will use the site known as 'Building 8' adjacent Belmont Works as their site compound.

·
Birmingham - #1
R.I.P.
22,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks to Ralph for originally posting, app for this officially in.

Application Number 2018/10197/PA
Application Type Full Planning
Site Address Land off Cardigan Street/Jennens Road and Glassworks Lane Eastside Locks Birmingham B4 7RJ
Proposal Proposed part demolition, alterations and extensions to former Belmont Works, and erection of new 5 storey building with link to Belmont Works, for use for teaching and ancillary uses within Use Class D1, commercial offices and Research & Development uses within Use Class B1(a) and (b), and ancillary campus retail facilities within Use Classes A1 and A3 (up to 300sqm), together with associated landscaping and boundary treatment
https://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/Generic/StdDetails.aspx?PT=Planning Applications On-Line&TYPE=PL/PlanningPK.xml&PARAM0=978409&XSLT=/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/SiteFiles/Skins/Birmingham/xslt/PL/PLDetails.xslt&FT=Planning Application Details&PUBLIC=Y&XMLSIDE=/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/SiteFiles/Skins/Birmingham/Menus/PL.xml&DAURI=PLANNING

·
Birmingham - #1
R.I.P.
22,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My guess is St Joseph's at Eastside Locks.
That's it mate, looking forward to seeing it.

As for this scheme, I really like it, so good to see the damaged building coming back to life, although I do think the black metal is slightly insensitive to the main building.

·
Jersey's finest
4,670 Posts
^^ it seems that particular courtyard has gone. Although from the renders it looks like there is a gap in the middle. Can't tell whether it's covered or enclosed though.

Really happy with this. So glad they are retaining this beautiful old building when the trend often seems to be; bulldoze and replace with an anonymous box.

Eastside is finally, really coming together. Maybe a few more cafes, retail, bars would help bring it all together. Exciting times.

·
Brummie Angeleno
14,904 Posts
Love this and has been mentioned this needs to become our Eastern Brindleyplace to draw visitors down to wander and hang around in the multiple bars / restaurants. I would hope the wild areas around the canals get some tidying up - not necessarily disappeared because of the wildlife but cut back and maintained. Oh and a nice new Lock Keeper's Museum too :)

1 - 20 of 136 Posts