SkyscraperCity Forum banner

BD is the most peaceful nation

2160 Views 33 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  snoq
Global Peace Index
‘BD is the most peaceful nation’

UNB, Dhaka
Bangladesh ranks first among the states in the region in the ranking of peaceful nations in 2008, according to a study conducted by the Global Peace Index, an independent think tank.
Bangladesh placed 86th among 140 countries in the ranking of peaceful states in 2008, which is ahead of India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan, said a Foreign Ministry handout. Iceland tops the survey of 140 states with the USA being placed in 97th position while Russia at the 131st place. Global Peace Index, which is drawn up by the Institute for Economics and Peace, an independent study group, together with the UK-based Economist Intelligence Unit, conducted the survey.
It tests each nation against 24 "peacefulness" criteria, including a nation's relations with its neighbours, arms sales and foreign troop developments. It also takes into account data on a nation's crime rate, its prison, population and the potential for terrorism within its borders. Foreign Adviser Dr Iftekhar Ahmed Chowdhury expressed satisfaction over the study. In a statement Saturday, Dr Iftekhar said, "This only proves what we have been saying for sometime. Today, Bangladesh is an oasis of calm in an otherwise turbulent region. We are at peace with all our neighbours". "Internationally, we're playing a constructive role as a top UN peacekeeper. At home, political and social violence has declined. We have had a bumper harvest. Growth, though not phenomenal, is steady. All these have the signs of a new emerging Asian Tiger, this time a Royal Bengal," Dr. Iftekhar said.
He added, "I'm glad the world is beginning to notice this. This is about time. Bangladesh is no longer a basket case." "If we can also achieve the political reconciliation, we are seeking now, our future prospects are bright. But we cannot afford complacency. The national efforts to achieve our goals must be coordinated." "While this is a positive assessment, we still have a long way to go. But the news is that we are getting there, slowly but surely, and the world is noticing," Dr. Chowdhury asserted.

http://www.thebangladeshtoday.com/back page.htm
See less See more
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
:eat:

- BD has relatively low crime..
- no war, significant blasts etc..
- it has huge number of pop. but BD cities are relatively very calm and free of serious traffic..
Just to make it clear, Bangladesh is the most peaceful nation in South Asia.
Hmm.. isn't it the 2nd ? Bhutan is no.19 in that ranking..

Considering BD's huge population ( compared to Bhutan's just over 1 million ), plus from waht I saw during my trip there, yes BD is definitely a peaceful nation. :cheers:
Hmm.. isn't it the 2nd ? Bhutan is no.19 in that ranking..

Considering BD's huge population ( compared to Bhutan's just over 1 million ), plus from waht I saw during my trip there, yes BD is definitely a peaceful nation. :cheers:
LOL :lol: my bad, didnt even read the entire article.
This depends on how you calculate things. If we are talking about South Asia, then I would think Bhutan and Maldives have less problems then us. But, they are smaller countries with much smaller populations, so comparison is difficult. All that being said, I am glad we are mostly at peace. The violent separatism in the Hill Tracts has mostly resolved, and our track record on religeous tolerance, though not perfect, is better than our neighbors.
See less See more
^^"not perfect" is correct, but we are willing to make it better and better
very encouraging news indeed. We would have been even more peaceful if there were no political violance and killings.
If and our track record on religeous tolerance, though not perfect, is better than our neighbors.
Oh come on Tan, just better? If we or anybody else is to compare, there's no comparison. When was the last time you heard or read that a large number of people have been killed in Bangladesh owing to sectarian (communal) violence? Not in my living memory. Whereas, it very much happens today, in our greater "neighborhood".
See less See more
Oh come on Tan, just better? If we or anybody else is to compare, there's no comparison. When was the last time you heard or read that a large number of people have been killed in Bnagladesh owing to sectarian (communal) violence? Not in my living memory. Whereas, it very much happens today, in our greater "neighborhood".
Good thing that the average Bangladeshi is more involved in improving his/her own live and not too involved with politics and fundamentalism.
See less See more
This depends on how you calculate things. If we are talking about South Asia, then I would think Bhutan and Maldives have less problems then us. But, they are smaller countries with much smaller populations, so comparison is difficult. All that being said, I am glad we are mostly at peace. The violent separatism in the Hill Tracts has mostly resolved, and our track record on religeous tolerance, though not perfect, is better than our neighbors.
I think Malives has some issues with human rights violation. The press is restricted and the presidents weilds a lot of power. So who knows, appearance can be deceptive. But you are right in the sense the impact of it in the South Asian region or for that matter in global affairs is minimal because of the size. But is it really a consolation to the locals. Things to ponder.

Bhutan however is moving possibly in the right direction away from absolute monarchy to a constitutional monarchy.

Sri Lanka however has an appauling reputation now, sadly. But then this is what happens when you let a war drag on for more than 2 decades :(.
See less See more
I think Malives has some issues with human rights violation. The press is restricted and the presidents weilds a lot of power. So who knows, appearance can be deceptive. But you are right in the sense the impact of it in the South Asian region or for that matter in global affairs is minimal because of the size. But is it really a consolation to the locals. Things to ponder.

Bhutan however is moving possibly in the right direction away from absolute monarchy to a constitutional monarchy.

Sri Lanka however has an appauling reputation now, sadly. But then this is what happens when you let a war drag on for more than 2 decades :(.
Personally, I do not have any problem living under any authoritarian regime as along as those who run the affairs of the state are not corrupt and simply love the authority/power to run the how, like Singapore. So, unless the President of Maldives is somebody like Marcos, I would have no beef against him. As for Sri Lanka, I do not see any solution. LTTE won't give up until they gain independence but the majority of the Sri Lankans do not want it. I couldn't blame them. Would India ever consider ever letting go of, say, Kashmir or Punjab?

So, yes, I suppose the survey (study) is pretty much on the mark. Bangladesh, corruption and political strife notwithstanding, is a peaceful nation in the region, all things considered.
See less See more
^^ What Fusionist was referring to about Maldives, is a case in point highlighting the imperfect nature of the study quoted in the initial post. Sri Lankans and other foreign workers in Maldives are often mistreated, and there are strong limitations on religious freedom for them and others. Being under an authoritarian government puts limitations on other freedoms as well, that we in places like BD would never think about. For example if you, as a foreigner, visit any of the islands outside Male or the resorts, and don't have a friend whose house you can stay in, then you have to leave before nightfall. The idea is that Maldives society will stay resistant to foreign corruptive influences that way. I think about how I would feel, being here in the US, if I was told that I must stick to designated areas because I am a foreigner, and that they do not want my corrupting influence. Of course none of this is likely taken into account in determining a country's "peacefulness." For reasons like this, I am strongly against authoritarian rule in BD...there is always an oppressive undercurrent in such scenarios. BTW the above two criticisms should not be thought of as a blanket denunciation of the Maldives, as it is not intended as such...Maldives is a beautiful country, and we all have our strengths and weaknesses.
See less See more
^^ What Fusionist was referring to about Maldives, is a case in point highlighting the imperfect nature of the study quoted in the initial post. Sri Lankans and other foreign workers in Maldives are often mistreated, and there are strong limitations on religious freedom for them and others. Being under an authoritarian government puts limitations on other freedoms as well, that we in places like BD would never think about. For example if you, as a foreigner, visit any of the islands outside Male or the resorts, and don't have a friend whose house you can stay in, then you have to leave before nightfall. The idea is that Maldives society will stay resistant to foreign corruptive influences that way. I think about how I would feel, being here in the US, if I was told that I must stick to designated areas because I am a foreigner, and that they do not want my corrupting influence. Of course none of this is likely taken into account in determining a country's "peacefulness." For reasons like this, I am strongly against authoritarian rule in BD...there is always an oppressive undercurrent in such scenarios. BTW the above two criticisms should not be thought of as a blanket denunciation of the Maldives, as it is not intended as such...Maldives is a beautiful country, and we all have our strengths and weaknesses.
Didn't know about that regarding Maldives. Paranoia is a very strong negative that makes people behave irrationally.

Like I said, I can live under a regime like in Singapore, so a government (structure) like that in Bangladesh has to be more or less like that for it to be acceptable to the majority.
See less See more

edited
See less See more
a reminder:

- we are discussing how good we are and how much we are willing to better ourselves.

- we are not judging how good or bad others are.
a reminder:

- we are discussing how good we are and how much we are willing to better ourselves.

- not how bad others are.
yes sir, thats the right attitude :)

The reason I brought in Maldives is to show that appearances could sometimes be deceptive and someone here said the Maldives & Bhutan relatively had lesser problem. Everyone seems to think a beautiful island paradise is often the place of peace and harmony, but it isn't the case always. The world media often tends to exagerate the negatives in large and popular countries while smaller countries can get away with it. ie. The US or the UK cannot get away with Maldives styled media censorship, lack of religious freedom etc.

But to put things back into perspective, I myself am unaware of the local problems and issues facing Maldives so probably it is better not to comment on outsiders perspective alone without knowing the facts.

On Bangladesh, it certainly is good news for the country if outsiders for once can learn to change their perspective and see Bangladesh as a peaceful nation instead of a poor nation. But at the same time I am not too impressed with some of these 'best' or 'top 10' stats thats media organisations and NGOs often come up with using some statistics. They are usually gimmicks, which in this instance is working well for Banlgadesh, but at the same time can work against it. ie. this is precisely how Bangladesh is often shown as a poor nation using some stats and graphs isnt it ? So it is better to take these stats with a pinch of salt and not go over the moon when someone says we are the 'best' or go n the rampage when someone else says we are the 'worst'. I hope you do not misunderstand me, I am not being a spoil sport, but just being realistic.
See less See more
Let's refrain from blanket criticisms of countries like India. That' not appropriate. I was wrong myself to comment on Maldives...I apologise for that. I wanted to explain what Fusionist was getting at...that the presence, or lack of, overt violence, is not the only barometer of society...and the treatment of Sri Lankans in that case being an example. However threads like these, though well intentioned, have potential to cause hurt feelings amongst neighbors, and as such do not accomplish their intended purpose. For such small topics, instead of starting new threads, why not use the Spontaneous Discussions thread? Also, let's think a moment before starting new threads that involve comparisons between Bangladesh and neighboring countries. For one thing well meaning posts can be misconstrued, and on top of that someone will come along post something stupid and hurtful.
See less See more
However threads like these, though well intentioned, have potential to cause hurt feelings amongst neighbors, and as such do not accomplish their intended purpose. For such small topics, instead of starting new threads, why not use the Spontaneous Discussions thread? Also, let's think a moment before starting new threads that involve comparisons between Bangladesh and neighboring countries.
well, i dont think i need your permission before creating any thread anywhere. this is an adda section and people should be able to talk about anything without hurting others feelings. things started to turn wierd after your super genius comparison with Bhutan and Maldives . we need to remember one thing, we do not always have to write just for sake of participating. also, think before you write and use your brain atleast this way you can avoid a lot of toruble in the forum.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.