SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's now that time in New Orleans. It happens with so many cities whenever there is bad publicity or some kind of bad occurrence, whether it be natural or man-made. What time is that? It's the time when all of the locals return and open up their businesses only to have to have minimal business when you need it most b/c of public perception being wrong based on media reports. It's that time in New Orleans and it makes me sad for the warriors that have returned and have reopened there shops and restaurants, only to have to wait 4 to 6 months on the word that New Orleans is back. Well, I live here, and I'm here to tell you that the New Orleans everyone knows IS back. Everything that has historically been fun has reopened. But, people still think the entire city flooded and that it's still doomsday down here. We are still recovering in neighborhoods (many), but, the things that tourists, conventioneers, and leisure travelers have historically enjoyed is open. And the neighborhoods you always loved..they DID NOT FLOOD. I appeal to you and to spread the word, on behalf of those that work in hospitality, to come on down and have some fun in New Orleans. After you leave, I guarantee you that YOU will spread the word, b/c you will see, firsthand, how much fun it really is, and how things are truly back. Come on down, reward yourself to true fun while you help those in an industry that is fighting one thing...negative perception. I work in a bank...I receive the same pay every two weeks and it never changes. But, there are those in New Orleans and every city that rely on visitors. Come down, have fun, and see for yourself. And, not only will you be having fun, but, you'll be doing a good thing, as well. Be a part of the gossip and spread the real word...New Orleans is back.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
i plan on driving out there and taking a crapload of pics with my new DSLR sometime in june. that city is so easy to photogragh...it does it all by itself.

i haven't been to NOLA since 2004...been there about 5/6 times.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Hurricane season starts in less than 2 weeks and none of the gulf or atlantic coast has taken proper precaution yet. What if another Katrinia makes a DIRECT hit on New Orleans and because they are too busy trying to get their image back and not getting the levees up to standard, it is 10x worse. People should stop gloating and saying everything will be alright and start taking action FAST.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
jmancuso said:
i plan on driving out there and taking a crapload of pics with my new DSLR sometime in june. that city is so easy to photogragh...it does it all by itself.

i haven't been to NOLA since 2004...been there about 5/6 times.

Who wants to see that under water? You can get the image and businesses back later.... save the place from becoming an archeological site (or rather an oceonographical site) first.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
^ actually that part of town (french quarter) wasn't flooded becuase the french weren't stupid, they only settled areas that were above sea level.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I agree it deserves a break. But that ain't up to us. If mother nature is going to make a hurricane we can't stop it. We can protect ourselves to an extent; but it just seems that Nawlins isn't doing that. They are screaming "our city is back woohoo", and assuming that the worst is over. We all know what happens when you ass-u-me.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ROCguy appears to a pessimist who's heavily influenced by the media. Considering his location, it's likely that those further from New Orleans are the most uniformed and ignorant to the true situation at hand. It is excusable. We can't expect those furthest away to have any inkling of the truth, because they are the ones that are the farthest away from the truth. New Orleans is better protected today than it has ever been in it's history from any hurricane. I'm 38 years old and have lived here my entire life. This was the first hurricane I have ever experienced in all of my days. The likelihood of Rochester receiving a 36 inch snowfall (with one storm) in any year is much, much higher than New Orleans receiving another hurricane like Katrina. The facts are this, based on statistical history...New Orleans should not receive another tropical event (even a tropical storm) until 2010. We should receive a category 3 storm by around 2027. Statistics say that we aren't due another Katrina until 2081. To put it bluntly...I'm more relaxed than I've ever been in my life about another major hurricane hitting New Orleans. Why? Because we are not due one. With that said...If I lived in Manhatten, I'd be holding my breath. They are already 20 years overdue a category 5. But, I'll pray one away from there, as well as here, for this year and in the future.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
Sean in New Orleans said:
The likelihood of Rochester receiving a 36 inch snowfall (with one storm) in any year is much, much higher than New Orleans receiving another hurricane like Katrina. The facts are this, based on statistical history...New Orleans should not receive another tropical event (even a tropical storm) until 2010. We should receive a category 3 storm by around 2027. Statistics say that we aren't due another Katrina until 2081.
how can you say that when barely a month after katrina, rita rolled in and came relatively close to new orleans. even though it blasted port arthur and lake charles, rita did push water back over some of the levees in new orleans.

two of the most powerful hurricanes ever for the US targeted the same region with a month of each other. there's no way to predict hurricanes...it's all a crap shoot.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jmancuso said:
how can you say that when barely a month after katrina, rita rolled in and came relatively close to new orleans. even though it blasted port arthur and lake charles, rita did push water back over some of the levees in new orleans.

two of the most powerful hurricanes ever for the US targeted the same region with a month of each other. there's no way to predict hurricanes...it's all a crap shoot.
Nothing is 100%, but, as a life long follower of weather and one who communicates weekly with various mets in the SE and forecasters at the NHC (to satisfy my never-ending fascination with weather), I've learned enough to know that weather operates in patterns. The patterns continuously repeat themselves. New Orleans may get hit, again, but, as stated earlier, the strike zones for this season, based on plenty of analysis (which, of course, could be wrong--the percentage is there), is Texas, Florida, and the East Coast. There are always exceptions, but, data, today, indicates the Northern Central Gulf has a much lower probablility of taking a hit this year. Without going into the details, because it would take hours to explain, the judgments and forecasts come from analyzation of global cloud patterns (particularly in China...this area seems to reveal the most in predicting weather for an upcoming 6 months). When we discuss weather, you are definitely talking my language. I've followed it since I was a very young child. Here's hoping nobody in the US gets hit this year, although, this is highly unlikely.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTW, once it snowed in New Orleans on Christmas, 2004, it became evident to many followers of the tropics, like myself, that the Northern Central Gulf was at a much higher risk of a strike in 2005, and we know what happened. We were watching the patterns develop for 2005, when the snow event occurred and it put a stamp on our concerns. The only way I can offer any beginning lessons on this stuff is to visit www.storm2k.org and just read and read. You'll learn that what I'm saying is pretty much on target. The strike of Rita (and Katrina) indicated to us that the patterns were already attempting to switch West. This year, we are seeing a split pattern develop, where GOM storms will head more West, although, most systems this year will go up the East coast. Persistent high pressure will likely protect the Northern Central GOM this year from most systems. But, there will be times of weakness with the high pressure, so we do need to watch when this occurs (the weakness).

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
rotten777 said:
^^ True ROCguy, they can't control nature and hurricane season is coming But they gotta stay positive, they can't just give up and leave.

New Orleans knows that it is vunerable, but so are all cities. Just fix it up and improve from before. Giving up would be a failure and an embarassment to the whole country.
I'm not saying to give up and leave. I'm saying protect the place more and don't act like the city is invincible now. As for the notion that hurricanes don't hit the same regions twice in short periods of time tell that to Florida and the coast of NC!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Sean, no one can predict when another hurricane will hit New Orleans. Hell, a tropical storm might form now and hit New Orleans in two weeks. Yeah, I know its not hurricane season, but hurricanes have formed before the season started.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Trae said:
Sean, no one can predict when another hurricane will hit New Orleans. Hell, a tropical storm might form now and hit New Orleans in two weeks. Yeah, I know its not hurricane season, but hurricanes have formed before the season started.
Exactly. The best anyone can really hope for is that once a hurricane forms, the track is forcast well enough to evacuate the city in time. For once...

At this point in time it is a little naive to think that long term forcasts a season in advance are really all that accurate.

·
Banned
4,572 Posts
The sad fact is that even before Katrina stuck, New Orleans wasnt back. The city has always had problems in terms of poverty, education, and violence. You can rebuild New Orleans, but make sure you use this as an opportunity to solve problems previous to Katrina. I am not convinced yet, as I have learned that New Orleans aleady this year has quite a bit of murders.

I love N.O....but you have to realize that spending a fortune rebuilding the city for it to only turn back to its former ghetto self is questionable.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts