SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Proud son of Bengal
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My objective in this thread will be to promote the positive sides of Bangladesh. Yes- while we do have our negative sides as much propagated by the media, we are also a booming Asian economy in transition with blessed natural beauty.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

PAGE-1
1.Parliament of Bangladesh
2. Bengali New Year Celebrations
3. Coral island of St.Martin's
4.The Sundarbans Rainforest
5.Tea Gardens of Sylhet
6.Dhaka Cantonment
7.Monsoon in Bangladesh

This post will be updated as necessary.Looking forward to your kind comments :)

·
Proud son of Bengal
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
NATIONAL ASSEMBLY BUILDING (Parliament of Bangladesh)

National Assembly is the national parliament of Bangladesh. The current parliament of Bangladesh contains 345 seats including 45 women reserved seats distributed on elected party position in the parliament, the occupants of which are called Members of Parliament or MPs. The last 9th National Parliamentary Election was held on December 29, 2008 and, under normal conditions, elections are called every five years.

The Shanshad Bhaban (Parliament Building from my building rooftop) by Fida Mehran, on Flickr

Parliament by leetlegirl, on Flickr

triangles by lamentables, on Flickr

National Assembly Building by John Pavelka, on Flickr

Jatiyo Sangshad Bhaban, Dhaka, Bangladesh by lantz_c, on Flickr

·
Proud son of Bengal
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
POHELA BAISHAKH/NOBO BORSHO (The Bengali New Year)
Bengali New Year is referred to in Bengali as "New Year" (Bengali: Nôbobôrsho, from Sanskrit Nava(new)varṣa(year)) or "First of Boishakh" (Bengali: Pôhela Boishakh or Pôela Boishakh). Nobo means new and Borsho means year.

Pohela Boishakh 1418 by Imrul Kayes, on Flickr

pohela boishakh 1418 Dhaka Bangladesh by Shabbir Ferdous, on Flickr

celebration pohela boishakh 1418 Dhaka Bangladesh by Shabbir Ferdous, on Flickr

·
Proud son of Bengal
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot :)

NARIKEL JINJIRA (St. Martin's Island)

St. Martin's Island is a small island in the northeast of the bay of bengal, about 9 km south of the Cox's Bazar-Teknaf peninsular tip and forming the southernmost part of Bangladesh. It is almost flat and is 3.6m above the mean sea level. The 9.66 km wide channel between the mainland and the island is much shallower than the open sea southwest of the island. There are reefs from 10-15 km to the west-northwest.

PB103129 by Photobangla, on Flickr

Saint Martin's, Bangladesh by A-S-I-F, on Flickr

St. Martin's Island, Bangladesh by [email protected], on Flickr

Coconut Island - On the Edge by rafaat, on Flickr

Take It Back by ~KaKTaRuA~, on Flickr

·
Proud son of Bengal
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ :applause:
Stay tuned. Lots more to come :)

THE SUNDARBANS RAINFOREST

The Sundarbans (Bengali: সুন্দরবন, Shundorbôn) is the largest single block of tidal halophytic mangrove forest in the world. It became inscribed as a UNESCO world heritage suite in 1997. The Bangladesh part of the Sundarbans is estimated to be about 4,110 km², of which about 1,700 km² is occupied by waterbodies in the forms of river, canals and creeks of width varying from a few meters to several kilometers.

royal_bengal_tiger, Bangladesh by nazmul9025, on Flickr

The mystic mangroves of Bangladesh

Sundarbans : The mystic Mangrove (II) by [email protected], on Flickr

Sundarban, Bangladesh by akhlas_viewfinder, on Flickr

Tourists are assigned locals capable of dealing with the dangers as security, after all- it is the home of the Royal Bengal Tiger.

Sundarbans Forest Guard by Shabbir Ferdous, on Flickr

The Mangrove Forest by M R Hasan, on Flickr

·
Registered
210 Posts
Really great initiative! Can i post some photos? although my photos are not as good as in here as i'm not a photographer. You can remove the post or ask me to remove if they're not appropriate.

·
Proud son of Bengal
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really great initiative! Can i post some photos? although my photos are not as good as in here as i'm not a photographer. You can remove the post or ask me to remove if they're not appropriate.
Of course :)

Just be sure to stick to one topic per post in a day!

·
Proud son of Bengal
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your wonderful comments. It was a pleasure reading through them :)

SYLHET TEA GARDENS

The area around Sylhet is traditional tea growing area. The picturesque Surma Valley is covered with terraces of tea gardens and lush green tropical forests. Srimangal is known as the tea capital of Bangladesh and for miles around one can see the green carpet of tea gardens on the hill slopes.

The area has over 150 tea gardens including three of the largest tea gardens in the world both in area and production. Nearly 300,000 workers are employed on the tea estates of which over 75% are women.

Sylhet - tea garden road by trisbj, on Flickr

Tea garden worker [Nurjahan Tea Estate, Kamalganj - Moulvi Bazar, Bangladesh] by - Ariful H Bhuiyan -, on Flickr

Tea Garden on the move by Fida Mehran, on Flickr

Sylhet Tea Garden by .::Sajid Photography::., on Flickr

A morning in tea garden by Shovon [ + ] click [ + ], on Flickr

·
Proud son of Bengal
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks to all of you once again :)

DHAKA CANTONMENT
Dhaka Cantonment (Bengali: ঢাকা সেনানিবাস) is a cantonment located in the northern part of Dhaka, Bangladesh. With almost 11,000 troops deployed abroad, Bangladesh Army is the largest contributor to UN Peacekeeping Forces.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQD1Gh98QC8

Jahangir Gate by faisal_gates, on Flickr

Source:http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj50/amar11372/
Housing for officers

Jahangir Gate...!!! (HDR) by XenofluX420, on Flickr

DSC05372 by mahfuz1961, on Flickr

DSC05339 by mahfuz1961, on Flickr

·
Proud son of Bengal
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry I'd been too busy with quizzes, assignments and life itself to have updated this thread regularly. However, I'd like to compensate for that with a little bit of MONSOON MAGIC OF BANGLADESH

Sparking protest by roksbox (Rokon), on Flickr

What better place is there to fall in love than in Bangladesh, with Bangladesh?

When it rains in your parade.. by fahim_123752, on Flickr

A sudden downpour by fahim_123752, on Flickr

Rainy day by [email protected]@R........, on Flickr

Freedom by PRONOY09, on Flickr

The world through rain drops by fahim_123752, on Flickr

·
leisure cook
11,909 Posts
Thank you all for your wonderful comments. It was a pleasure reading through them :)

SYLHET TEA GARDENS

The area around Sylhet is traditional tea growing area. The picturesque Surma Valley is covered with terraces of tea gardens and lush green tropical forests. Srimangal is known as the tea capital of Bangladesh and for miles around one can see the green carpet of tea gardens on the hill slopes.

The area has over 150 tea gardens including three of the largest tea gardens in the world both in area and production. Nearly 300,000 workers are employed on the tea estates of which over 75% are women.

Sylhet - tea garden road by trisbj, on Flickr

Tea garden worker [Nurjahan Tea Estate, Kamalganj - Moulvi Bazar, Bangladesh] by - Ariful H Bhuiyan -, on Flickr

Tea Garden on the move by Fida Mehran, on Flickr

Sylhet Tea Garden by .::Sajid Photography::., on Flickr

A morning in tea garden by Shovon [ + ] click [ + ], on Flickr

thanks for the wonderful set of pics....:cheers:

·
Proud son of Bengal
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

1 - 20 of 21 Posts