SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Beautiful Beaches Around SRI LANKA

95K views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  MaxVoyager 
#1 ·
Beaches around Sri Lanka..

See less See more
#4 ·
skyprince the best beaches to visit in sri lanka are:
1.Hikkaduwa! (good nightlife too! the beach fest is on end of july)
2.bentota
3.balapitiya
4.mount lavinia beach (suburb of colombo...loads of restaurants and parties every weekend if your into that)
5.Galle face (colombo's beach...although parts of it is sealed off due to it being in the high security zone, the beach itself is still accesible!)
6. trincomalee beach (northeast of the country...marvellous almost untouched beaches..not sure if its safe enough yet but just check with a few operators if it is beacuse that area was not affected by the war)
7. Unawatuna beach (voted one of the best beaches in the world + lots of hotels in the area)
8.Arugam bay (near trincomalee...surfers paradise, one of the best in the world really..also check with operators)
9. Negombo beach..(its near the airport, well establised hotels in the area too)

check out this link for more info: http://www.info.lk/srilanka/srilankatravelguide/ecotours/beachesofsrilanka.htm

please do ask us at the forum for any advice on places to visit or so on...and take loads of pics when ur done. ive enjoyed your other travels!:)

#7 ·
by clear pristine water do u mean what looks like the in the 2nd picture in the maldives that is in the first post? if you're looking for clear pristine water like that, i think you're better off going to arugam bay, nilaweli and the trincomalee area (east of sri lanka) i even hear that they are going to have a UK pro surfing championship in arugam bay, if you're lucky it might be around the time your coming down!:)
unawatuna and some other beaches in the south also have those types of beaches, but nevertheless if you are really a beach person you'd have to visit all those beaches!:)

#9 ·
That's very important piece of info !

And yes, that's exactly what I meant by clear beaches .I think I will spend 2-3 hours walking in Colombo before dashing off to Kandy- Trincomalee by bus before heading to beaches , oh how about Haputale ? My interests are beaches, mountain vistas and typical daily life of urban Sri Lankans.

My routing might be Colombo- Kandy- Haputale- Trincomalee - Batticaloa -Colombo........ altogether within 4 days. What do you think ?

I'm counting days till my visit to Lanka , that's 66 days ahead ! :cheers:

#12 ·
ya that looks really hectic! especially since your travelling by bus in sri lanka..to get from colombo to kandy it takes around 3 hours when it shouldnt!! and btw before travelling to trincomalee and batticaloa make sure to check up on the places your going to stay in beacuse as you might know the eastern province was affected by war and facilities there will not be as good as in other parts of the country and im not really sure if they have a bus service to trincomalee, your best bet is to come down to colombo and hire a private van, it'l be more expensive than the bus etc but its safer plus more convenient when you have to travel off the path...il let you in on more info later.

#13 ·
I went to trinco in 2003 by bus and by train as well.. the train takes a long time comparatively. the best time to start the journey to trinco is in the night, since you'd be avoiding a lot of sun...and beleive me the eastern sun is the worst!...however i am not sure as PCK said if those services are working ATM. All the best in planning yer trip Sky :)

#15 · (Edited)
Unless you are really adventurous and ready to endure a tiring and hard journey, I too wouldn't recommend traveling to trinco by bus, also because you don't really understand the languages spoken here (i am assuming here).

You are seriously better off hiring a private vehicle, you can go anywhere you like and the driver will be able to get you out of troubles if you encounter any. It would cost you a bit more though.
But if you aren't traveling alone aka with a friend, then the bus can be really fun.

The airport has a shuttle service to the nearest town if i recall correctly. You can take it and then transfer to a bus to Colombo from there. Or you can take a taxi which would cost you about 1500 rs. or so.

#17 ·
haha, yeah, the taxi will cost you about 15 dollars, you are just better off taking a bus to colombo from the airport. Just don't expect world class public transport and you won't be disappointed :p

Just a word of advice, When traveling to places such as trinco, expect alot of security checks in almost all the checkpoints you encounter. So have your IDs near you at all times. It is a necessary hassle. As far as I know trinco town is also a one big HSZ, so you can be subjected to random ID checks etc. Nothing big. Same story in Central Colombo area.

Other than that you are going to love Kandy and Haputale areas. By haputale do you mean the town ? That area is bloody beautiful.

Also, you going down south ? Be sure to check out below Galle, like Matara, Tangalle. Most of the tourists are bunched up in towns to the north of Galle, so they are just rather touristy.

#21 ·
Points taken, and yes I guess I'm going to the town of Haputale itself.

I'd really want to visit Galle and the south, I know there are tons of exciting beaches down there but lets see.. 4 days is short so to avoid delays and rush, I need to know where in Colombo shall I catch the cheap minibuses/ buses to other towns ( Kandy, Galle, Trinco etc. )

I'd suggest the train. So much more fun that a bus, and it comes to around Rs. 700 one way. www.railway.gov.lk now has a decent "trip planner".
I just checked it, there are 2 departures from Colombo Fort to Trinco, at 06:05 and 21:00, both are great timings ! Morning train allows me to see the landscape ( arriving just before 2 pm in Trinco ) while night train lets me save on overniht accommodation and travelling time too !

well all said, to be honest I dont think you will be able to see all these places in 4 days !

Tell me how ? Day 1..Leave Colombo by Morning Kandy by noon... spend one evening, then overnight to Colombo by night ?

and early morning bus to Trinco next day...arrive by afternoon.. book into hotel.. and local trip..

Day 3.. look around Trinco and take afternoon bus to Batti.. arrive by nightfall.. book into hotel... you already are in day 4 and it takes a day to get bac kto Colombo and from Colombo to BIA...

You need atleast a week for all that.. if not I suggest you skip Trinco and Baticaloa and stick to Colombo ( 1 day ) , Kandy ( and nearby 2 days ) and possibly a beach near Colombo ( 1 day ) !
Hmm..my plan was :

Day 1: Colombo- short stop at Kandy- Trinco
Day 2: arrives at Trinco, look out for beach and get around the city, then off to Batti in late afternoon
Day 3 : Batti-Colombo
Day 4 : back

I think I'd take your advice to stick just to Colombo, Kandy and the beaches. I can always travel to Sri Lanka for multiple times ( 3-day weekends ? ), this year. Flights are damn cheap. :cheers:

#20 ·
well all said, to be honest I dont think you will be able to see all these places in 4 days !

Tell me how ? Day 1..Leave Colombo by Morning Kandy by noon... spend one evening, then overnight to Colombo by night ?

and early morning bus to Trinco next day...arrive by afternoon.. book into hotel.. and local trip..

Day 3.. look around Trinco and take afternoon bus to Batti.. arrive by nightfall.. book into hotel... you already are in day 4 and it takes a day to get bac kto Colombo and from Colombo to BIA...

You need atleast a week for all that.. if not I suggest you skip Trinco and Baticaloa and stick to Colombo ( 1 day ) , Kandy ( and nearby 2 days ) and possibly a beach near Colombo ( 1 day ) !

#27 · (Edited)
Induruwa

Koggala

Main Point, Arugam Bay

Tambiluvil

Around Negombo

Tangalle

Nilaweli

Coral Cove

South East Coast near Panama

Sangamankanda Point

"If you are looking for a lonely but beautiful beach for camping, this is an ideal location. At Sangamankanda Point, I saw miles and miles of sandy beach and not a soul around. In fact this is known as the East most point in Sri Lanka.

This is close to Potuvil - Batticaloa (A4) road and it lies about 25km from Potuvil towards Akkaraipattu. The main road does not go close to the beach, so you have to turn towards the sea side and travel further 3-4 km on a gravel track. For the last bit, you may need to walk through an open land where there is no roads but only footpaths.

At the beach you will see an abondoned lighthouse. From there you will see endless beaches on both sides. One notable feature about Eastern beaches is that it has wider beaches than Southern or Western beaches. Here at Sangamankanda, the beach is over 100m wide.

This place is a real treat for a hiker! "

http://kirigalpoththa.blogspot.com/2009/03/lonely-beach-at-sangamankanda-point.html

Overview of Club Oceanic and it's beach

#35 ·
I will visit beautiful Lanka again in 30 days, could you or anybody explain to me on how to get to Nilaveli straight from Colombo airport main bus terminal ? Do I need to get down to Pettah first, or can take straight bus to Trinco via Vanuniya from there ? Lonely Planet forum is very slow, so i can't check from there.

Sri Lanka is my 2nd home, now :)

#40 ·
There are number of guys out there to take tourists to the Pigeon Island and a boat ride is about Sri Lanka rupees 2000.00, about $20 US dollars for a round trip. It is a lovely island for snorkeling and swimming. However, I warned you for sharp corals. They are like razor blades .Make sure to take a pair of water shoes and a good snorkeling gear with you. It can be rented, but they have been over used. Don't forget to bring your water. Try to spend at least a half day in the island and it is worth it.

I made this trip about three months ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.