SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have long wanted to make a thread about the beautiful Landscapes found in the province of british Columbia, Canada

BC is the westernmost province in Canada (home of Vancouver) and has a large variety of landscapes and ecosystems, due to its large size and it geography (the Ocean, many major mountain ranges and valleys, etc...).

Some basic facts of BC:

It has an area of nearly 945 000 KM2, a population of roughly 4.5 million, and its largest metro areas are Vancouver, Victoria (the capital), Abbotsford and Kelowna.

While the odd urban picture may make its way into this thread (such as a park or beachfront) the vast majority of the pics on here will focus on BC's natural beauty.

After seeing the variety in BC you will understand why many Hollywood movies use it as a backdrop for various other locations throughout the world (even as Africa and Mexico).

For starters here is a political map of BC

source: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/popular-topics/distances/bcmap.html

And here is one more map displaying the vast and varied range of biogeoclimate zones in BC

source: http://adaptation.nrcan.gc.ca/assess/2007/ch8/1_e.php

Now onto the pictures! All of the following pictures are my own

First we will start off along the west coast, which has a climate very similar to southern England and northern France. In fact the south eastern portion of Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands between Vancouver island and the mainland are classified as a sub Mediterranean climate. This is because of a rain shadow effect created by the Olympic Mountains that makes this region considerably dry, despite its maritime climate zone. In fact Victoria is the sunniest and driest major city in all of Canada during the summer. Vancouver, while also displaying a relatively dry and sunny summer, is much more moist than Victoria.

This first pic is from the Metro Vancouver region. This is the view from the Pitt River bridge (which connects two local suburbs) looking up the Pitt River

This picture is taken from my home suburb of Maple Ridge, in Vancouver, last November looking north towards the mountains

Here is the forest behind my house on a winter's afternoon. I enjoy the rain in the winter because it keeps our forest nice and green!

This creek is also located behind my house. The winter rains give it a decent flow.

Here are some pics taken from the western edge of Metro Vancouver in February (at the University of BC)

The tram that takes people to a from the peak of Grouse Mountain in September (Metro Vancouver)

A picture of the Straight of Georgia from Seymour Mountain (just west of Grouse Mountain)

This is a photo of a natural swampland in Pitt Meadows, Metro Vancouver.

The following few pictures are of what I believe to be Canada's most beautiful tree, the Arbutus. The Arbutus thrives in the sub Mediterranean zone of BC's south coast, and its range extends all the way south to Mexico. It is Canada's only native broadleaf evergreen tree. There are a few introduced broadleaf evergreen species now in Canada, such as holly, that have naturalized themselves in the milder regions.

Here is some amazing sandstone on Hornby Island

A typical view from the Sea to Sky highway (the highway from Vancouver to Whistler)

This lake is north of Whistler, nestled in the Coast Mountains

Now we are leaving the coast of BC and heading to the dry interior, which leeward of the Coast Mountains and is home to semi-desert valleys and Canada's hottest summer temperatures (often 35 to 40 degrees C throughout July and August). These valleys are the northern most extension of the Great Basin Desert that is found throughout the American southwest, so they are very similar in appearance and host many similar plant and animal species (rattle snakes, gopher snakes, black widow spider, a tiny scorpion, cactus, sage brush, etc...). This area is where they filmed the Mexico scenes in the new A-Team movie and the Africa scenes in the 13th Warrior.

These next few pics were taken this year in the Thompson Valley, the temperature was about 38C when i took them, nice and hot!!

These pictures are taken from Osoyoos, in the Okanagan Valley, which is slightly less dry than the Thompson Valley, but it is just as hot in the summer. This Valley is the heart of BC's wine and fruit industry. It is also a major tourist area, a summer time paradise. These pics were taken n May, where summer is already in action.

This is a mineral lake just outside of Osoyoos in the surrounding hills, it is a highway side attraction. it is conveniently called "Spotted Lake"

As one drives out of the hot valleys a sage bunchgrass ecosystem gives way to higher grasslands such as this one outside of Kamloops (pic taken in November)

And then eventually to the pine, spruce, fir and aspen parkland forests of the Plateaus. Which have many beautiful clean swimming lakes, and also many alkaline lakes such as these below.

Anyways, that is all I have right now, many more to come in the future. If you ever want to travel to Canada I highly recommend coming to BC (especially in the summer) and renting a car. There are so many climates, attractions and landforms, BC has something for everyone!

Cheers

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Such beautifull pictures and until now only 2 replies? What a shame!
Thanx for sharing the info and the photo's with us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks that much great as well as also that much fantastic and that much attractive. As the thing that I want to say you that I have never seen such snap up till now as I have visited it once but I am not able to get the snap at that time. I really impressed through this all of the picks which you have shown here.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys! I will be posting another batch in a couple weeks (busy with school and work now)

Thanks again!

·
world citizen
1,526 Posts
What a set of pictures. Good work mate. BC is such a beautiful province, one of my favourites in Canada if not THE favourite.

Keep posting if you can :cheers:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello Again!

Here is a small second set (now that it is Christmas I have some free time)

Here is a pic taken on the southern end of Vancouver Island in March, 2008. (This is the southern most part of western Canada, across the water is the USA)

And here are some pics I took last week. Along the coast of BC the winters are generally rainy and mild (temperatures are similar to those of Paris and London in the winter, remaining primarily above freezing). These pics are from a local park near my house and show the beauty of the Temperate Rainforest.

A mossy vine maple

Much of the ground is covered in sword ferns and salal. In the back are some douglas first and western red cedars, they are among the largest trees on earth when fully mature.

Looking through the trees to some rushing water after a large rainfall.

A very mossy Big Leaf Maple, which I believe has the largest maple leafs of any maple in the world.

A mossy Red Cedar

A stream side Hemlock

And here are the mountains near my house on a sunny winter day, also taken a week or two ago.

Well, the pictures above show what Christmas is like on average along coastal BC, often green and wet, but if you are lucky it can be sunny with green fields and snow capped mountains!

All pics are my own:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Cheers!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are some pics I took at the peak of Hemlock Mountain (a great ski resort an hour east of Metro Vancouver, but still located in the Fraser Valley.) I personally like it better than the north shore mountains in North Vancouver because the drive is far more peaceful (country side), the mountain is not very busy (no waits at the chair lifts), and the prices are unbeatable (only cost 46 dollars for two lift passes plus ski and boots rentals!)

Anyways, here are the pics, all I can say is I am so happy I live in BC:

All pics are my own, Cheers!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?saved=1

1 - 15 of 15 Posts