1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
beautiful city

some of you requested this thread here... so here we are

Bratislava, Capital of Slovakia

Bratislava is a historical town with more than two-thousand-year old rich history. On the other hand, it still ranks among the youngest cities of Europe that is just gradually discovered by visitors.
Last year, Bratislava was visited by 29 per cent of foreign visitors more than within the same period of the previous year. Bratislava belongs to trendy destinations of city tourism also due to the fact it is safe, still reasonable and manageable in terms of prices.
And maybe you dont know, but within 1536 – 1830, there were crowned 11 austro-hungarian kings and queens in the Dome of St. Martin, when the capital city of Hungary - Buda was occupied after a tragic battle with Turks at Mohac in 1526.
The period of highest upswing of the town is represented by the time of reign of Maria-Theresa (1740 - 1780). Since her accession to the throne, construction office of the Hungarian Royal Chamber started directing construction development in the town, controlling especially construction of public buildings (palace of Hungarian Royal Chamber, Water barracks and others). Large construction arrangements were also made in the castle that became a representative royal seat (not that of its Hungarian vice-regent) and a centre of social and political life of top level.

Bratislava, capital city of the Slovak Republic, is situated in Central Europe. It is stretching on both banks of the Danube-river, the second biggest river in Europe, and at the foot of the mountains of Small Carpathians. Bratislava spreads at the borders of three countries, neighbouring with Hungary in the south and Austria in the west. In administrative terms, the town is divided in 5 districts and 17 city parts.
Population: 446,819

New bridge over the Danube river...

and keep on rolling :)))

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Singidunum said:
nice!
what is located in castle today?

what is this?
wha is in castle? museum and some "congres" rooms. There was Summit Bush-Putin last week.

and what is it? it´s Polus City Center... it´s retail, entertainment and office complex, in Nove Mesto (New City) district :)

castle from inside

·
Banned
1,422 Posts
Beautiful city!

Though not sure if Putin will remember Bratislava as a "nice" place, so much asskicking he received there :lol:

·
Your brain controller
7,944 Posts
So close although so unknown fore me. What a beautiful city :) It would be great advantage to EE forum if we have more forumers from Slovakia.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Looking good, quite different than in Eurotrip :)

·
Monkey business
3,539 Posts
Awesome city! I would love to visit Bratislava sometimes soon (hopefully I will this May)..

I like cities with castle hills, they really add to the ambient and the overall image of the town.. Plus the view is nice.. :D

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
edolen1 said:
Awesome city! I would love to visit Bratislava sometimes soon (hopefully I will this May)..

I like cities with castle hills, they really add to the ambient and the overall image of the town.. Plus the view is nice.. :D
just let me know, when you´ll be here :)

·
Monkey business
3,539 Posts
peterthegreat said:
just let me know, when you´ll be here :)
Heh, I'll probably be doing Vienna and Bratislava for a few days during my Spring holidays, the last week in April, not May.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jacek said:
Looking good, quite different than in Eurotrip :)
well, you mean this "american" movie Eurotrip? I have to tell you, that they didnt shoot any second of that movie here in Slovakia. It was all made in Prague. Hmm... and I tell you, that 1 USD here, is almost nothig. And be sure, it´s not enough to pay 1 night in 4star hotel... it´s just funny... they never been here, and I dont know,.... sipmly, I dont understand, why they "draw" bratislava and Slovakia like this... that we even dont have any railway here, and firs railway station is in Vienna, we dont have cars, etc.... I dont understand....

here is the map with slovak railway system.... main railroads.... just 3661 km

total: 3,661 km :) :) :)
broad gauge: 100 km 1.520-m gauge
standard gauge: 3,512 km 1.435-m gauge (1,588 km electrified)
narrow gauge: 49 km (1.000-m or 0.750-m gauge) (2003)

·
Banned
8 Posts
very beautiful , this pics very alike belgrade

·
Monkey business
3,539 Posts
blue_warsaw said:
there arent any trips to Bratislava. I dont know why, but to Praga, Vienna there is a lot of difrent kinds of trips, and to Bratislava - none. weird...
Probably because of its vicinity to Vienna noone bothers to do the extra mile and see Bratislava?

·
I come in peace \V/
11,252 Posts
peterthegreat said:
well, you mean this "american" movie Eurotrip? I have to tell you, that they didnt shoot any second of that movie here in Slovakia. It was all made in Prague. Hmm... and I tell you, that 1 USD here, is almost nothig. And be sure, it´s not enough to pay 1 night in 4star hotel... it´s just funny... they never been here, and I dont know,.... sipmly, I dont understand, why they "draw" bratislava and Slovakia like this... that we even dont have any railway here, and firs railway station is in Vienna, we dont have cars, etc.... I dont understand....

here is the map with slovak railway system.... main railroads.... just 3661 km

total: 3,661 km :) :) :)
broad gauge: 100 km 1.520-m gauge
standard gauge: 3,512 km 1.435-m gauge (1,588 km electrified)
narrow gauge: 49 km (1.000-m or 0.750-m gauge) (2003)

Eurotrip - typical American propaganda, they tend to exaggerate thinks to make it laughable - Brits where portrayed as football hooligans and Italians as gays or something and so on, it is rubbish movie made little money at box offices and full of ignorant prejudices.

Wouldn't give monkey what Americans have to say about EE or any part of Europe when most of them live in s**t holes.

PS, Slovakia is great, I loved it a lot, it is nice place to vist was there in 2001.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts