SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Madison, Indiana
Established in 1809, was briefly Indiana's largest city. Over 130 blocks of central Madison is designated a national historic landmark, one of the largest designations in the country. The Jefferson County Courthouse dome, pictured below, burned in May after being renovated for the city's bicentennial.
Population, 12006 (2000)

Just west of Madison in Indiana 56

Fountain on east side of downtown

Jefferson County Courthouse Post-Rapture

A few row houses, wishing I could have spent more time in the residential areas

Thanks for traveling all the way to the end!

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
The County Court House burned about two months ago (May, I believe). It was undergoing renovations in preparation for a bicentennial celebration for the community - and a spark from a welder's torch started a hidden fire in some corner of the attic - that later turned into a huge blaze. I've heard there are numerous architectural firms submitting plans for rebuildling the structure. Too bad it happened right when they were planning to celebrate the town's 200th birthday.

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
Madison is a gem as well as neighboring Hanover COllege

·
Registered
24 Posts
Madison is simply an old river town in the southern part of the state of Indiana that has benefited from strong historic preservation activism. It is unusually picturesque. Most of the pictures shown above are from the downtown/Main Street of Madison, though the residential areas are often quite attractive as well.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
A lot of Indiana towns would look this beautiful with proper preservation and work.
In some Indiana towns you would never tell they were booming in the victorian era.
I love all of the Greek Revival architecture in Madison.

Did you go to that candy shop with the fish candies? :drool:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A lot of Indiana towns would look this beautiful with proper preservation and work.
In some Indiana towns you would never tell they were booming in the victorian era.
I love all of the Greek Revival architecture in Madison.

Did you go to that candy shop with the fish candies? :drool:
No, I didn't make it into any stores...in a rush.

Sorry that the pictures aren't visible. I think this thread was linked to a Chinese site, because the first few pictures registered a spike in views -- over 15,000-- from tianya.cn on August 11. I'm not sure what I have to do to get Photobucket to unlock them...maybe just wait a few days?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts