SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved to Crown Heights, Brooklyn, and I'm now only a few subway stops from Prospect Park. Designed by Olmsted and Vaux, the designers of Central Park, Prospect Park is far less known than its sibling in Manhattan, but even more beautiful. The park is 526 acres and was finished in 1868

·
Whatever
45,866 Posts
prospect park was able to maintain the meadow/countryside landscape advocated by olsmsted...it was lost in central park since you can see all the skyscarpers around it.

·
18,168 Posts
JohnnyMass said:
prospect park was able to maintain the meadow/countryside landscape advocated by olsmsted...it was lost in central park since you can see all the skyscarpers around it.
i was going to say the same thing. olmstead did a good job of hiding the surrounding city.

·
chek ur hed
473 Posts
dirty and not well kept??? compared to where, Shangri-La? As beautiful as these photos are, they don't even do the park justice. I went running in the park this morning. It's a serene and beautiful way to start the day. There is a gorgeous lake with a boathouse, beautiful old carousel, a skating rink, a small zoo. This arch at the entrance ...

panorama of park entrance from the top of the arch ....

A couple other photos of Prospect Park

·
Registered
333 Posts
JohnnyMass said:
And that is why Central Park is so GREAT. Because you have the city as a background to a beautiful country area. Central Park would not be nearly as interesting or as beautiful as it is without the back drop of the skyscrapers of Manhattan.
With Prospect Park, your background is simply more park.
I've walked through both parks, and both are very nice, but the only way Prospect Park would be as great as Central Park was if they moved it to Manhattan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts