Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
E = MC²
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In this thread, I think it would be fun to show gif pictures of parts of sheffield which have changed dramatically due to construction.

Rules are as follows.
Make a .gif which slowly animates between two or more shots many years apart.

I'll start off with a few examples of Kelvin Flats.
First pics were taken in spring 1995 and the later pics were taken in May 2007 by me.

From the front of entrance of the mecca bingo we look

·
E = MC²
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here looking in the other direction from the back of Kelvin flats over the top of them to the ski village

It is amusing to see that the handrail still has the same bent strut after 15 years

·
E = MC²
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here we are on Infirmary road looking south towards towm

The area has made so much progress in the interviening time

And from almost the same place looking north

Same trees!

·
Registered
744 Posts
crikey. mind-bending visuals there mr coffee. nice one!

would be great to see a before and after of the peace gardens and the surrounding area. anyone got any good pictures of the grim old days?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Amazing - I remember seeing those Kelvin flats when passing through Sheffield years ago and thinking they were grim. Seeing them demolished like that make me think we should do the same with Park Hill.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Seeing Kelvin Flats when I was about 6 or 7 used to remind me that I wasn't far from the Church that is Hillsborough on a Saturday.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Yes, Rachael. The Kelvin may be gone, but that's another eyesore not too far away that has surprisingly escaped demolition. And it's looking tattier by the day. In fact, the whole area around Hillsborough is starting to resemble a huge pig sty.

Great GIFS. I'd love to see more from other parts of town. In the first Infirmary Road pic, it looks like one of the flats has the same satellite dish up in both photos.

·
Wise fwom your gwave
440 Posts
I think kelvin flats look magnificent in those pics. I wish i could have seen them in the flesh :(

·
E = MC²
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think kelvin flats look magnificent in those pics. I wish i could have seen them in the flesh :(
That is a very strange usage of the word magnificent.
Most people would consider Sh1t H0le more appropriate. They were actually very horrible.

·
Registered
744 Posts
but as a structure they were definately impressive and extremely imposing.

am i right in thinking they cast a shadow over infirmary road for most of the day?

·
E = MC²
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Roneys,
of course you are correct, especially in retrospect whan you look at photos of them years on. It is easy to have that view of some building when you are not in the context of the time, remembering them as hated structure with nobody wanting to live there.

·
Non!
2,166 Posts
True, but there are many examples of buildings that were considered beyond hope being saved by refurbishment. Maybe I'm weird, but I'd rather have refurbished Kelvin flats on the site than those twee Barratt style houses that are there now.

·
E = MC²
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Soupcon,
what you would rather do with failing local public housing schemes is just your personal aspirations. If you were in local government and were personally involved with the fact that a building is worth much more demolished than in situ, and all the facts of the finances involved then you might probably have to make the same decision as the people you are now critical of.

·
Non!
2,166 Posts
I don't think I've criticised the people who made the decision to knock the flats down. I'm sure there wasn't a choice at the time. It just seems a waste of energy etc. to knock lots of apartments down and then build new ones just down the road a decade later. The economy is incomparable in the years between, but the environmental impact of the decision must have been very significant.

I thought the Kelvin Flats were pretty much the same as Park Hill. If Park Hill is economically viable to refurbish then wouldn't Kelvin be as well if they were still standing? Infirmary Road shops have gone to pot since the flats went and the disruption from Supertram as well. They are only recently showing signs of recovery.

I'm not sure whether I'd prefer to live in a refurbished flat on the site or the new houses. It would depend on the size and price of the property. I welcome the amount of new apartments being built in our city centre, but I don't think I would choose to buy one. At least not at the current prices anyway.

·
The Real Robin Hood
549 Posts
I thought the Kelvin Flats were pretty much the same as Park Hill. If Park Hill is economically viable to refurbish then wouldn't Kelvin be as well if they were still standing? Infirmary Road shops have gone to pot since the flats went and the disruption from Supertram as well. They are only recently showing signs of recovery.
Park Hill is right next to the city centre/train station Kelvin was a couple of miles away from the centre, where that kind of density was no longer needed. ie. as a general rule a flat in a city centre is more expensive than a flat on the out skirts.

·
Non!
2,166 Posts
True enough, but I wonder what kind of density is needed / wanted. We need more dwellings throughout the UK; I'd rather no greenfield land was used in Sheffield. I wonder what the longer term targets should be in Sheffield. At the moment we seem to knock down large areas of the city and rebuild them as local demographics change. This can't be a sustainable option. Maybe we need buildings that are built to last for a long time, but can be remodelled internally to provide differing sized properties to meet the changing demands of the market. Any ideas?

·
Wise fwom your gwave
440 Posts
It's all to do with tax (VATmaybe?) isn't it? I read something once about there being less or no tax on building new rather than refurbishing old housing stock, so that it works out cheaper to simply demolish and start again. Dunno

·
The Real Robin Hood
549 Posts
If the density Kelvin flats provided was wanted they would still be there. These type of tower blocks have been replaced with city centre appartments for students and young proffesionals who want to live in the city centre as its fashionable. Kelvin flats and the others were not built because they were particually wanted they were just a cheap option for slum clearance. Now there are nice houses where they were giving people the oppertunity to live in a house with a garden and not on the 10th floor, I love what thet are doing with Park Hill because it IS Sheffield but I think one is enough there is no need to get to attached to them they were fit for purpose then but not any more. Anyway with an aging population there will be loads of room to live once all the oldies are put in Nursing homes haha

1 - 20 of 122 Posts