SkyscraperCity Forum banner
2001 - 2020 of 2159 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Was there a fire system installed (assuming it wasn't activated yet) designed for this building. I read that the fire spread so quickly because the inside had a large atrium high up in the middle of the building that it was easy for the fire to spread floor to floor like a chimney. I wouldn't want to be caught in this building if they didn't have a system could handle it.

·
Industrial Twilight
1,097 Posts
I'm very sorry for the firefighter...
And for the building as well, it looks as if it can be resurrected though. This was one incredible fire to watch. CNN was all over it when it was going on, so I saw most of the footage. Wasn't aware anyone had died until I read this thread though. It's just too bad...

·
jicky jicky jicky
706 Posts
Such a great loss. Feel sorry for the dead firefighter and the building.
I doubt it will be re-built, I think people might associate this incident with bad luck, feng shui or whateva. It's China, anyway...

·
The only way is up
90,026 Posts
it's not totally destroyed. the inspection report says the damage is not as big as expected.

(beijingupdates.com)
I am beginning to think that most of the damage is superficial as it was the cladding that burnt.
By what I saw in the pictures and recordings the fire spread top - down along the outside of the tower rather than through the inside.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts

(beijingupdates.com)
txs yea looks like its more superficial looking from this side u can see most of the glass wall is intact should be interesting to see what happens to this building in the comming months

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
^^ No,I hope the cladding will be replaced by a cladding which is not flammable...if there is one!

·
A very cool person
1,294 Posts
it's all very good that they're rebuilding but why wasn't fire resistence thought of by the designer during the design phase?

2001 - 2020 of 2159 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.