Skyscraper City Forum banner
341 - 360 of 2159 Posts

·
Whole Other Country
735 Posts
Towers that lean to only one direction exists already. But i am not aware of towers that lean to two direction at the same time, and the two towers in CCTV are bi-directional leaning.
Best to look at Luxor at Las Vegas (they call it "inclinator") it lean both direction and already 10 years old...and Eiffel Tower's have the oldest inclinator.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Best to look at Luxor at Las Vegas (they call it "inclinator") it lean both direction and already 10 years old...and Eiffel Tower's have the oldest inclinator.
are you kidding me??!!!?? a pyramid and a steel tower compare to a real leaning tower like Puerta de Europa in Madrid, Spain; and this CCTV tower.

·
Whole Other Country
735 Posts
are you kidding me??!!!?? a pyramid and a steel tower compare to a real leaning tower like Puerta de Europa in Madrid, Spain; and this CCTV tower.
leaning is leaning it don't need to be the whole building leaning.... the base of Eiffel is leaning and the Payamid wall is leaning. I will say Eiffel is much more iconic that Puerta de Euro and CCTV since it build with no computer help 100 years ago.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
leaning is leaning it don't need to be the whole building leaning.... the base of Eiffel is leaning and the Payamid wall is leaning. I will say Eiffel is much more iconic that Puerta de Euro and CCTV since it build with no computer help 100 years ago.
I guess the top of World Financial Center (WFC) in new york are all considered as engineering marvel then...

I don't care whatever you call those towers leaning or inclinator. I think it is pretty clear to most forumers here that we are just talking about two completely different ideas.

·
Registered
something-or-other
1,115 Posts
“Because the building’s leaning there is more and more bending added,” McGowan notes. “To combat that, the contractor is having to predict bending and build the towers in a reverse banana shape.”

As the steelwork’s self weight bend, the towers straight, stress will inevitably be locked into the structure. Arup calculates locked in stress will account for up to 10% of the building’s static loading.
Building CCTV bent, so it then bends into a straight shape under its own weight? That's extraordinary to say the least.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Building CCTV bent, so it then bends into a straight shape under its own weight? That's extraordinary to say the least.
Umm, why? I guess it means that in order to have a structure that stays straight, a certain amount of antagonistic loads will have to be "precharged" in said structure.

·
Premium Member
38,009 Posts
Amazing!!!

·
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!
330 Posts
This building is amazing! This building and it's bigger yet younger sister Museum Plaza in Louisville, KY will change the thinking that goes behind what a building should/could look like. I can't wait to see more updates on this building. A page or two back there was some talk of angled elevators. That is no problem, the St. Louis arch has one as was stated earlier and Museum Plaza will have a large angled elevator shaft as well.

·
starwar
6,147 Posts
my god, so many advertisment around that building. china has come into commercial world:)

·
Banned
261 Posts
"Chinese prime minster Wen Jiabao has reportedly decided to halt work on the project as part of a political move to win favour among the country's poor." (from BD)
Well that's normal developing countries do that.

But nice building. It's a difficult engineering task. Something we haven't seen before.

·
In Love with HK & BKK
4,847 Posts
...there was some talk of angled elevators. That is no problem, the St. Louis arch has one as was stated earlier and Museum Plaza will have a large angled elevator shaft as well.
The Eiffel Tower in Paris got "angled elevators" too, but i don't know in what yr they were added or if they are there from the beginning.

341 - 360 of 2159 Posts