Skyscraper City Forum banner
1821 - 1840 of 2159 Posts

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090209/wl_nm/us_china_fire

BEIJING (Reuters) – Fire consumed a building in Beijing that formed part of Central China Television's new headquarters, as residents launched fireworks throughout the city to celebrate the Lantern Festival Monday evening.

Flames 20-30 feet high shot out of the building, just north of the landmark CCTV tower designed by Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas. The flames were reflected in the tower, which itself appeared to be untouched.

"The upper fifth is on fire, multiple floors. Debris is falling and flames are coming out in all directions," Edie Marshall, a Beijing resident, told Reuters.

No-one appeared to have been in the building, a policeman on the scene said, adding he had no immediate knowledge of any casualties.

Hundreds of people watched and took photos amid an acrid smell as fire trucks sprayed streams of water on the building. Armed police moved the onlookers beyond a cordon as paramilitary troops moved in on the building.

The fire department did not immediately comment on the suspected cause of the blaze, which occured as the city was bombarded with fireworks on the final day of the Lunar New Year holiday.

The destroyed building housed the Mandarin Oriental hotel in eastern Beijing, which was supposed to open in 2009. It was also designed to include a theater, recording studios and cinemas, while CCTV's main production and broadcasting units were to occupy the main building next door.

(Writing by Lucy Hornby; Editing by Jerry Norton)

·
Mr. B
74 Posts
I'm not easily shocked by news of the day but my jaw dropped when I saw this, having been paying attention to construction for the past couple years. It's unreal watching a building with a metal and glass shell burn.

·
£€$$ is more
1,914 Posts
That's crazy! How can a modern construction like that burn so fiercely? Surely it should of had fire protection and be compartmented to stop the spread of fire? I've never seen a fire like it before! I can't believe it!

·
Registered
268 Posts
is the facade made of magnesium or why is it burning like hell? :-/
well i didnt like the building but its still horrible!

RIP

·
I got the brain too.
74 Posts
This is truly a sad day for all of us who have followed the construction of this building for years. I can only be grateful that nobody was killed in this fire. My heart hurts to see such a beautiful and unique building destroyed before it could even be enjoyed.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Wow, you know, fireworks go off in large cities all the time but they never light skycrapers on fire. They must have used some material on this building that would readily catch fire and they just didn't think about it.

I sure hope they re-build it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
1.the material of hotel is very combustible
2.the hollow building will cause ‘smokestack effect’

so the building was burning high
for a building that was once on the discovery..I have to say this is really a loss……

·
Registered
113 Posts
Insane... just happened to watch it on the news.

That's incredibly sad for everyone that took part in the project.

Apart from a little clip absolutely no coverage over here. If it where NY there would be breaking news on every station. Weird.

1821 - 1840 of 2159 Posts