1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Banned
10,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
シルバ
128 Posts
Surprising no one ever mentionned of that one earlier. Seems like it has been planned a while ago.

Nice addition for Beijing though, but is this just an observation tower with no other purpose?

·
Speed Metal God
2,344 Posts
It will look great on that spot. I like how different it looks.

·
A One and a Two
32,671 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Surprising no one ever mentionned of that one earlier. Seems like it has been planned a while ago.

Nice addition for Beijing though, but is this just an observation tower with no other purpose?
No. Its purpose is to make money. It just happened to be a tower. :lol:

The "Bird's Nest" is earning its keep without hosting any significant events...

In spite of the lack of significant events, the stadium appears to be quite profitable, drawing some 20,000 to 30,000 people a day at the price of a 50 yuan admission.[30] Recently it has been used as a snow theme park.[31] The venue costs approximately $9 million to maintain per year.[8] Due to a lack of use, paint is already peeling in some areas.[27] [net profit of ~U$50 million per year?]

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing_National_Stadium

@ 1:08, note the steady flow of people walking about.

·
LIBERTINED
45,346 Posts
Thanks for following my request to open an independent thread for this, I think this tower deserves it :) Quite an interesting project. It's rather hard to still create modern landmarks for a metropolis nowadays, but this could become one for Beijing. In a nice and respectful way, it accompanies the Bird's Nest stadium and adds a graceful height to the surrounding area.

·
whitest boy in the delta
13,257 Posts
i just wish it was taller. :cheers:

Reactions: Highcliff
1 - 20 of 211 Posts