Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Landmark

Beirut Central District - Beirut, Lebanon

Owners: The Landmark Company (Kuwaiti/Lebanese)

Architect: Jean Nouvel

Official Website: www.landmarklb.com

The Landmark in downtown Beirut, comprising residential, commercial and entertainment premises as well as a luxury hotel, is a USD149 million project designed by the well-known architect Jean Nouvel. The mixed-use center will include a 5-star hotel with 175 rooms and 15 suites, 39 service apartments and apartments for sale, as well as a health club, spa and business center. In addition, a shopping mall, cinema and entertainment center will be incorporated, all with access to ample underground parking facilities.

The focal point of Nouvel’s design will be a 150-meter tower flanked by two additional buildings, both connected to the tower by pedestrian bridges at various levels. The 44-meter North Building will have 9 floors, while the South Building will, at 55 meters, be 10 floors high.

The project, expected to be completed by December 2008 and provide around 345 job opportunities, is being developed by Landmark s.a.l. and was awarded investment and development incentives as per Package Deal Contract.

"My design will be aligned with the spirit of Beirut's history, but also to create a new Beirut"
- Jean Nouvel

·
aimin high. shootin low.
445 Posts
Im sorry but that building is ugly. But I guess it's cheap to have that facade.
Actually the facade looks quite expensive. It would be cheaper to build something consistent all the way to the top as opposed to all these alternating facade elements. This is one of those love it or hate it towers. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

·
Smirk4Life
1,745 Posts
I agree it looks messy... but what if messy turns out to be apealing?!
only people who have seen the general architecture in Beirut Central District could visualize this one...

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Construction is on hold due to Roman Ruins found in the middle of the plot
Here is a couple of pictures of the Site with the Ruins
courtesy of Beirutreporter

1 - 20 of 21 Posts