SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Eu Sou o Rei do Mundo!
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

BELÉM é destaque no The Guardian

11/06/2008 12:45
A capital paraense mereceu uma página de destaque no caderno Viagem do jornal inglês The Guardian, na edição do último sábado, dia 7. No quadro intitulado “GoingLocal”, a jornalista Vicky Baker está viajando ao redor das Américas Central e do Sul, onde é guiada pela população local. Esta semana, ela esteve em Belém em busca dos melhores atrativos para cultura, lazer e diversão na “cidade brasileira no meio da Amazônia”, conforme definiu na reportagem.

A repórter se hospeda na casa de pessoas que conhece em comunidades na internet. Em Belém, Baker conseguiu acomodação por meio do coachsurfing.com. Ela deu dicas de atrações turísticas e destacou a hospitalidade paraense. Em suas andanças pela cidade, pôde conhecer um pouco da história, gastronomia e artesanato em um dia de passeio na Praça da República.

A noite belenense merece atenção especial no texto. Rica em opções, os bares Cosanotra, Café Imaginário, Amazoon Beer e Boteco das Onze são citados por Vicky como dicas aos turistas em visita a capital do Estado. “Um bonito bar que se parece com as velhas tavernas européias do século XVII, com comida excelente e uma grande visão da Baía do Guajará”, menciona em seu texto.

Por fim, a jornalista esteve no Parque Zôobotânico do Museu Emílio Goeldi, onde “a paisagem amazônica faz você, momentaneamente, sentir-se como no coração da floresta”, garantiu.

http://www.bj.inf.br/conteudo_visualiza.php?contcod=14529

·
Eu Sou o Rei do Mundo!
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Going local in Belém, Brazil

Vicky Baker is travelling around Central and South America guided by the local people she meets on social networking websites. This week, she is in Belém, Brazil

* Vicky Baker
* The Guardian,
* Saturday June 7 2008
* Article history

'This is a strange request," I write in an email to Oriana, a 23-year-old Brazilian student based in Edinburgh, "but I'd really like to meet your mum."

I'd been looking through couchsurfing.com's database of members in Belém, the Brazilian city at the mouth of the Amazon. Out of 49 local members willing to let a traveller stay in their home for free, one newcomer to the site caught my eye: Lucinea, Oriana's mother. "My daughter is a very active member," says her profile. "She's the one who told me about it."

I'm instantly drawn to the idea of an older-generation couchsurfer inspired by her daughter's experiences. However, with Lucinea not speaking English and my complete lack of Portuguese, making arrangements isn't straightforward and I find myself calling on Oriana, who is listed as one of her "couchsurfing friends", to act as an intermediary.

"You're more than welcome to stay," Oriana replies almost immediately. Plus, as an added bonus, she'll be back from Edinburgh that week too, using her university holidays to "get some mama loving".

It soon becomes apparent that mama loving is not in short supply. When I arrive at Lucinea's tiny one-bedroom apartment, she has already adopted a French couchsurfer called Nico, who's been staying for a week. "She adores him," whispers Oriana, whose time in Edinburgh has given her a distinct Scots lilt. "She's taking him to the airport later and I'm sure there'll be tears."

If you needed proof that the couchsurfing phenomenon has spread beyond the low-income, early-20s bracket, this Belém apartment is it: Lucinea, the fiftysomething divorcee, looking to meet new people now her children have left home, and Nico, the mid-30s stock trader, who could easily afford a flash hotel yet prefers the friendliness of a homestay.

While Lucinea is at the airport with Nico, Oriana takes me to the weekly artisan market in the city's attractive main square, Praça da República. Under a shady walkway of mango trees, we pass vendors touting Amazonian fruit juices, capoeira instruments, tiny crocheted bikinis, elaborate wooden necklaces, and all manner of snacks, from crab cakes to fresh coconuts.

Oriana tells me Belém was at its peak during Brazil's 19th-century rubber boom and we tour some of its grandest sites, built on the back of the industry, including the imposing opera house, Teatro da Paz. "The problem was, just as the city was thriving, an Englishman came to the Amazon to look for rubber-tree seeds, smuggled them back to London and then established farms in Asia. Our industry collapsed."

As tropical storm clouds gather above, we head back to the flat. We find Lucinea hard at work, in front of a huge pile of books. On top of her day job working for a bank, she's enrolled at night school to get the literature degree she never had time for as a young mother with five children. "My dream," she tells me, "is to do a masters in Spain."

The following day, I want to give mother and daughter time to catch up with each other, so I set off to amuse myself around town, admiring the old Portuguese houses and the stylish new waterfront development, where pavement cafes overlook the Amazon. Then, come evening, I have a meeting with another Belém couchsurfer, Ricardo, a 28-year-old video editor.

Ricardo takes me to a bar called Cosanostra (Travessa Benjamin Constant, 1499), with a cosy wooden interior and live band playing samba and bossa nova. Like many couchsurfers, Ricardo is open and easygoing, and there is no introductory awkwardness.

"I have lived alone since I was 17 and have always had an open door," he says. But hasn't he ever worried about security? He looks baffled.

"I think it's highly unlikely someone will come all the way from Europe to steal my VCR."

Ricardo has hosted over 40 people and, inevitably, has racked up many stories. My favourite is the one about the couchsurfer who found out Ricardo was an amateur boxer and wanted to re-enact Fight Club. "Senhor Ricardo! Senhor Ricardo! Are you really going to hit him?" asked the wide-eyed doorman outside his apartment, as the guy continued to insist. "In the end, I hit him," recalls Ricardo, matter-of-factly, "but then he kicked me, hurt himself in the process, and he had to delay his boat trip up the Amazon."

Ricardo's tales keep me so entertained that, before I know it, it's 3am. Fortunately, I forewarned Lucinea I would be back late. "No problem. Enjoy yourself," she said, giving me a key so I could quietly let myself into her place and flop on the spare mattress laid out in the living room.

The next day, she and Oriana take me to the city zoo, where the thick Amazonian foliage makes you momentarily feel like you are in the heart of the jungle. We have a great day and they both seem happy to have me tag along. However, there comes a line that I'm always wary of crossing: overstaying my welcome.

The time seems right to move on and, besides, I've got a lot of ground to cover to get down Brazil's 9,000km-plus coastline.

Ricardo's tips

Café Imaginário (Quintino Bocaiúva, 1086)
Where Belém's painters, poets and musicians hang out. Come for live music and famous jambu pizza, made with a local herb.

Amazon Beer (Estação das Docas, Boulevard Castilho França)
A micro-brewery that produces the best local beer. During happy hour (Mon-Wed, 6.30pm-9pm) you pay R$24 (around £7.45) for a big buffet and all you can drink. Or try feijoada, a bean and meat stew which is the national dish, on Saturdays.

Boteco das Onze (Praça Frei Caetano Brandão)
A beautiful bar that looks like an old European tavern in a 17th-century house with excellent food and a great view over Guajará Bay.

[email protected]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2008/jun/07/brazil.travelwebsites?page=all

·
Manaus, Amazonas, Brasil
10,881 Posts
Valeu, Jorginho! A reportagem é muito interessante! Ótima divulgação turística sobre a charmosa Belém. Os europeus em geral têm muita curiosidade sobre a Amazônia.
Abraços!

·
Life is simple!
945 Posts
Maravilha jorge... ser belenense por si só já é motivo de orgulho, quando acontece um reconhecimento desses então, grande notícia.:banana::banana::cheers::cheers::lol:

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Interessante a forma de atuação da repórter...

E será muito bom pro turismo aí em Belém que já bastante expressivo e recompensador!!!;)

·
Life is simple!
945 Posts
^^

essa é a nossa Belém :cheers:

Isso aí ...sempre dando show! tomara que essa notícia tenha mesmo uma grande repercussão internacional,com o círio chegando aí,talvez tenhamos ainda mais estrangeiros em nossa metrópole para a festa.

·
44,068 Posts
^^

falando em turismo, tenho um monte fotos para montar um thread, para divulgar ainda mais Belém, só me falta coragem, as fotos estão lindas! :)

·
44,068 Posts
^^

sim! só que de angulos diferentes! tens uma sugestão melhor ?
ao inves de falar podias sair por ai fotografando lugares que achas que ainda não foram mostrados :|

·
A Metrópole da Amazônia!
4,110 Posts
^^

sim! só que de angulos diferentes! tens uma sugestão melhor ?
ao inves de falar podias sair por ai fotografando lugares que achas que ainda não foram mostrados :|
Putz, e o cara ainda reclama. O q pode ser repetido pra nós, certamente é novidade pra maioria das pessoas de outros lugares do Brasil. Apoiado Adriano! Faça a sua parte.

·
Life is simple!
945 Posts
^^

falando em turismo, tenho um monte fotos para montar um thread, para divulgar ainda mais Belém, só me falta coragem, as fotos estão lindas! :)

Beleza irmão! faça isso o mais rápido possível, dependo muito de quem mora em belém pra matar um pouquinho as saudades.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts