1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Times from answering an email I sent asking about the events

4th Sept (Tue) - 10am-5pm

6th Sept (Thu) - Noon-7pm

7th Sept (Fri) - Noon-7pm

There's usually very little feedback they take onboard as these always take place after the plans already have been drawn up - looking back on previous schemes the changes have been minimal, and dwarfed by the inevitable redesign and scaling down of designs after they've been sold on but anyway - but am going to try to go to one of these, at least to say the designs are particularly out of place given their promotional website makes a lot of the surrounding character yet the offerings are generic 2010-era office 101.

The Saw Tooth proposal is a little more characterful and might be good, but the office block itself isn't anything to write home about - given the loss of building the other week I'm hoping we raise our game in terms of ambitions and designs (and more importantly what we approve)

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Not sure at all. Good street interaction with active frontages galore, but architecturally I imagine it will look very dated in 20 years time, especially if they scrimp on the cladding materials.

·
22,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really like the brick details and styling for The Mill building. I like it a lot actually.

The Gresham Street building is a bit banal but could look nice in the flesh if they use a good quality hand-laid brick.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
The Gresham Street building would be grand if they introduced some vertical features along the lower section to break up the monotonous appearance and give it more of a terrace feel. For every 2 ground floor windows and every 2 upper floor windows) have a column of brick that sits out from the building, or a different type of cladding- stone or similar. At intervals shown below.

NS3a
by hypnotoad24, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Full planning application in for the two red buildings fronting on to North Street. Some tweaking to the top floors- removes what i thought gave off a top heavy appearance. I do wish the ground floor was a bit taller, but overall this is one of the better efforts. The smaller building is brick, and the larger building concrete. The detailing on the larger building looks quite good.

NS1

NS2

This is newly created square behind the two buildings- this image shows where i feel a taller ground floor would look better, with some sort of horizontal definition above it too.

NS6

Will add some nice bulk to an area that is in a very sorry state indeed.

NS5

NS3

NS4

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hopefully this moves forward and encourages investment in neighbouring sites as well, desperately needed! Still a scandal that that row was demolished in the first place, and as recently as 2002!😠

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
From certain elevations it's very overbearing and monotonous. I really feel they could have done something special and iconic here, perhaps rebuilding part of the old terrace like they did with Riverside House in Salford with a snazzy setback on the top floor and modern rear....

North Street before it was flattened..

P.S Don't get me started on the top floor plant room. Yuck....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts