SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
As Not Tall Enough noted, there is a planned development on the Westlink/M2/M3 side of this development. It is for another 800 or so student rooms, so whether it actually goes ahead is another issue- surely we don't need any more rooms! It's a similar height to the all the other developments in the area, and would have a brick exterior, so it would certainly be better looking than this muck.

·
22,105 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Apartments are needed in this part of the city in my opinion. As much as the university will help to revitalise this part of the northern city centre, it won't do it on its own. The majority of residence blocks newly built in this area appear geared towards international/non-NI students who won't be in the area during summer and holiday months. If young working people move into this area we will hopefully see cafes and bars follow.

·
COYS
1,707 Posts
Always hoped Athena house would be built. Aside from the fact it hides this monstrosity, and the other fact that it's a bit of a unit, I like the brick, the density and its general form.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
We had an opportunity to build a cohesive and liveable environment for students, with open green spaces, parks. cafes, shops, resturants etc etc but we got this dystopian mess instead...

I feel really sorry for students going to live there.

·
22,105 Posts
I think that's a bit hyperbolic in fairness given that the area isn't actually finished and there is only one really hideous development.

Additionally, things like shops and cafés aren't going to consider opening until the University is actually finished and they have a captive audience If shops opened now there wouldn't by any customers...

This area is a longer term project and I think it's unfair to judge it now. A lot of work is proposed to make this a much more pleasant space.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
As bad as this development is, the thing that stands out in that picture is St Annes Square car park. It looks absolutely ludicrous in that context. What were they thinking allowing the change in design.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yeah, not sure why they switched to grey from the original red as it would have looked a lot better. I'm guessing they got a special deal on grey.

Against Belfast's 90% grey skyline it will become almost invisible which in this case won't be a bad thing.

·
Registered
509 Posts
We had an opportunity to build a cohesive and liveable environment for students, with open green spaces, parks. cafes, shops, resturants etc etc but we got this dystopian mess instead...
I partially agree, and a bit of an afterthought but closing something like York Street on the campus side, and pedestrianising it trees, grass etc, would do alot to correct it for me.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts